News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

November Golf Digest article
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »
Anyone read the article on architecture? Any thoughts?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

John Kavanaugh

Re: November Golf Digest article
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »
Anyone read the article on architecture? Any thoughts?

I have to say that it doesn't surprise me that a guy who plays hickories still reads ink on paper.  What is it about and who is the author?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »
There are actually two articles, both by Whitten. The first is on bunkers and is worth it just for the 12 example shots included.
The other is sort of CBM oriented with quotes and comments by a number of modern architects, including some guy named Doak.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:22 AM »
I was very surprised that GOLF DIGEST printed such a long article about design.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »
Are either of these articles available online?  I couldn't find anything on the Golf Digest website.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Britt Rife

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Yes, that blew my mind to see so many pictures of NGLA in the pages of Golf Digest.  I was happy to see a mainstream golf magazine discussing the CBM templates and the fundamentals of strategic design.  And there was mention that Jeff Brauer had plans lying around for a 18 hole CBM replica course--I'm not sure I heard that before here, but I could well have missed it.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:41:33 PM »
I thought it was really well done.   I loved the photos of the 9 different bunker styles as well as the different holes at NGLA.

The article on the clubhouse in Hawaii was just OK, there is another Frank Lloyd Wright here in California that looks better.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »
Thought the article was excellent and much more in depth than typical of GD.  Perhaps what struck me most was how well hidden the article was on the cover.  Despite devoting many pages to the article, the cover features Justin Timberlake with a few articles listed on top of the logo.  One in silver, not black, hardly noticeable is Golf and Design.  I guess that architecture just doesn't sell.

Andrew...the bunker article is on line but only pictures and brief descriptions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:00:54 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
So which futuristic Whitten predictions on gca for the next 20 years will come true?  A summary (including my opinions):

Most courses still 18 holes.  Yes

Standard Par drops from 72 to 69.  Yes

No one will miss the Par 5.  Yes

FW wider, browner.  Yes

Rough Scragglier.  Not sure. A new course of mine just mowed down all the natives....I predict genetic, drought tolerant grasses, still mowed.

Fewer, deeper, steeper hazards.  maybe

More eclectic.  Yes (I have been calling my style eclectic for years. Others say I just can't make up my mind...)

More strategic greens (i.e. contour) He also mentions smaller greens somewhere, using more ball mark tolerant grasses.  (yes on smaller, maybe on more strategic - I think only on the top end.  Other courses will continue to dumb down.

What say ye?

I will also congratulate Ron on an article well written. I know how hard he tries to get more on architecture in GD.  I just hope they didn't give him this as an early retirment gift :(

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back