News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Great Birthday Golf Rounds
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
I had the great privilege of playing Winged Foot on my birthday this year.  Moreover, I got to play with two GCAers, Dick Ryan and Neil Regan!  ***round of clapping for both, please***  talk about a great way to spend my B-day...

I also has a great birthday round at 1) Thendara - a nice little ross in upstate NY with great greens, 2) at The Concord (the Monster), 3) Taconic I'm sure once I wrack my brain I can remember others.

How about you?  Where was YOUR favorite birthday round of golf?

Tom Huckaby

Re: Great Birthday Golf Rounds
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »
On my 12th birthday my Dad surprised me with a round at Riviera.  I was excited for the golf, but rather awed when our playing partners were Errol Flynn and Dolly Parton. 

On my 21st birthday my college friends arranged for a round at Olympic Club with Tom Watson and Porky Pig.  Porky was hard to understand but man that pig could putt.  Watson chipped in on 17 and I nearly wrapped a wedge around his head.

On my 30th birthday, my wife set me up to play Cypress Point with Colonel Sanders and J. Paul Getty.  Being there with two fifths of the Pentavirate rattled my nerves, that's for sure.  But you no longer need to wonder why certain world events happened in 1993.  They were all my idea.

On my 40th birthday I played MPCC with Bob Huntley and the Dalai Lama.  The Lama proved to be not all long after all.  It was also quite fun to make the guy pay for something with real money for once in his life as he joined me in getting my ass kicked in the Wolf game.

These were all great times.  Thanks for the chance to stroll down memory lane, Jay.

TH

ps - I don't think I ever really have never played golf on my birthday...

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:21:48 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »
Hey Tom,

But did the Dalai Lama at least offer you eternal enlightment, or was he too pissed at having to fork over the dough?  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »
Hey Tom,

But did the Dalai Lama at least offer you eternal enlightment, or was he too pissed at having to fork over the dough?  ;D

He tried that bullshit on Huntley, but Bob said he already had enough of that and would prefer the cash.

;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
No great birthday round so far, but I am planning to play at Pebble Beach for my 40th in a couple of years (been planning that for YEARS!).

Tom Yost

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
On my 12th birthday my Dad surprised me with a round at Riviera.  I was excited for the golf, but rather awed when our playing partners were Errol Flynn and Dolly Parton. 

On my 21st birthday my college friends arranged for a round at Olympic Club with Tom Watson and Porky Pig.  Porky was hard to understand but man that pig could putt.  Watson chipped in on 17 and I nearly wrapped a wedge around his head.

On my 30th birthday, my wife set me up to play Cypress Point with Colonel Sanders and J. Paul Getty.  Being there with two fifths of the Pentavirate rattled my nerves, that's for sure.  But you no longer need to wonder why certain world events happened in 1993.  They were all my idea.

On my 40th birthday I played MPCC with Bob Huntley and the Dalai Lama.  The Lama proved to be not all long after all.  It was also quite fun to make the guy pay for something with real money for once in his life as he joined me in getting my ass kicked in the Wolf game.

These were all great times.  Thanks for the chance to stroll down memory lane, Jay.

TH

ps - I don't think I ever really have never played golf on my birthday...

Ahh, you really get the primo bud up there in NoCal Tom!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
Played Chicago Golf for the 1st time on my 40th some years ago. It was a day to remember. A course I change my schedule to play when invited. The greatest course in the Midwest in my opinion.    Jack

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
Nice!  There's a great one for a B-day round.

Richard Boult

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:47:18 PM »
4 months to the day before I turn 50!  Initially, I was thinking about a heli-snowboard trip to BC with my son, but my 60 year old back is recommending my 1st round at Pebble... but a 2nd trip to Bandon sounds pretty inviting too.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »
Add me to the list that has never played on their bdays.  Maybe I'll have to fix that this year.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »
Tom and Bob,

Okay but you must be kidding about the Dalai Lama.

The closest I ever got to him was playing with Jordan Wall. Remember him? That was an "out of body experience".

As for birthday rounds, mine is June 15 which often falls on Father's Day so I have plenty of memories.

Art Fuller,

Come to BC, forget about heli-skiing and play some golf with your son.  I would be most pleased to show you around if the timing worked out.

Regards,

Bob Jenkins

Bob J

Richard Boult

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »
Art Fuller, Come to BC, forget about heli-skiing and play some golf with your son.  I would be most pleased to show you around if the timing worked out.

Regards, Bob Jenkins

Thanks Bob! I better start making some plans before my b-day comes and goes...

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
I played Lost Dunes on mine last year :)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Scott Sander

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 07:12:43 AM »
Played Cherry Hills on my birthday weekend back in '99.  First World-Class course I'd ever played.   5 days later I played Castle Pines.  It was a good week for this lifelong muni guy.  :o

Two of the better public tracks in Central Indiana (including the priciest course in town) offer free golf on your birthday.

I don't know if that's common elsewhere, but it's smart marketing IMO. 
Few people like to play alone, especially on their birthday - so they drag 1 or 3 friends out there with 'em at the rack rate.

Gene Greco

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
    25th  Birthday.........Pasatiempo

50th........................Cypress Point

75th.......................better get back to Mr. Wagner's OT thread or I will not reach it.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »
On my 40th birthday I played MPCC with Bob Huntley and the Dalai Lama.  The Lama proved to be not all long after all. 

I heard the buzz around the peninsula was "who's that guy with Huntley?"

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
36 at Shoreacres followed by a twilight round at Old Elm.
H.P.S.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 03:47:49 PM »
When you turn 36 you must play 2 - or so says Ernie Banks.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »
My birthday is December 29th...not very good for a Midwest golf outing on your special day.

Maybe I should change my birthday...hmmmm...  ::)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
On my 40th birthday I played MPCC with Bob Huntley and the Dalai Lama.  The Lama proved to be not all long after all. 

I heard the buzz around the peninsula was "who's that guy with Huntley?"

Mike

No what you heard was..."OMG!  That guy is so special, the Dalai lama is carrying his bag!"

Gene, Pat, Paul, and Mike, nicely done!

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 05:57:24 PM »
I turned 40 at the Kings Putter.  I do not remember which course we played that day but I can guarantee you it was hot outside.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
My wife took me to the Pinehurst area for my 40th. She gave me the option of playing #2 once or playing Pineneedles AND Mid Pines. I took the latter, walked both courses and loved every second of it!

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
I turned fifty no March 12, 1997.  My best friend and I celebrated by going to England to play.  I won't bore you with any of the other days but will just share my B'day of golf.  On March 11 we checked in to Wentworth where we stayed for two days.  Early on the 12th we played Wentworth West in about 2 &1/2  hours. We played nine on the East course and about five on the Edinburgh.  From there we drove to Sunningdale and played the New course and late in the day 8 holes on the Old Course until we got "darked' out. 
We had to play it in that order because of when two ball and four ball groups were allowed to play.  From there we went back for an awesome dinner at Wentworth.  Then we collapsed.
All in all it may be my best day of golf ever, except when my son and I won our clubs Father/Son championship.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
Hey Tom,

Big hitter the Lama.

Greg Ross

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »
I went to Bandon for my 40th and have a TD personalized copy ("Hope you enjoy your 40th at Pacific Dunes half as much as I did!") of "The Confidential Guide..." as a memento.  Thank you, Tom and I can only hope that my 50th will match that.
It's all about the fellowship.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back