News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Frank James
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
In the archives I've seen his name mentioned in a handful of places.  Some have said he was just a construction foreman for both Ross and Park.  I'm hoping a new thread can rehash and perhaps dig up some new material on him.

For instance, I saw a newspaper article recently that called him a "Philadelphia course architect".  What evidence does anybody have that he might have been more than just a builder of golf courses?  And was he really from Philadelphia, or did he just live there?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:28:22 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Phil_the_Author

Re: Frank James
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
He was much more than "just a builder of golf courses."

He did that in-between bank robberies with his brother Jesse...  ;D 

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
I found two mentions of James. In American Golfer in 1918 it was announced he was moving from Aronimink to LuLu Temple. He had been greenkeeper at Aronimink since its inception. The other is a photograph from 1924 in Golf Illustrated. He is pictured with Willie Tucker and William Tucker, Jr. -- they are looking at some drainage problem. I believe Tucker was both a designer and a construction man.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
TMac:  that's the kind of info I was hoping for.  Thanks.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
According to C&W, Frank James went west with the Tucker Gang around 1924, where he also designed courses in the Pac Northwest.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
Frank James' original design hangs on the wall of the Overlake Golf Club in Seattle-

F.L. James - New York - Washington DC - Seattle

James original east/west layout of Overlake was short-lived (1927 to 1935.)  The club resurfaced in 1953 with a north/south routing by A.V. Macan.

Unfortunately, there is little to no information or pictures of the original routing.  The club owns a large aerial from 1929 that shows about half the property.  Very interesting holes with some fabulous bunkering.  If I can figure out how to get a decent picture of it, I'll post what I can.

I believe James also designed Sand Point across Lake Washington.  I'm not sure what else he is responsible for in the Pacific Northwest. 

According to C&W, Frank James went west with the Tucker Gang around 1924, where he also designed courses in the Pac Northwest.

Where did Willie Tucker end up out West?

Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back