News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael

Re: Very Special Hole in One's
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 09:22:39 AM »
My son at 15 playing with myself and his younger brother, stiffed a 4 Iron on a 165 par 3...took one huge hop... a bounce.... and "Plunk"..

I had the ball and card mounted for him.

I think I was more excited then he was....... ;D

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »
I have been lucky to have made 5 aces.  The last being on April 1, 2006 on the second hole at Riverfront.  This was special for me because in the fall of 2005, I was extremely lucky to win Golf Magazine's last Armchair Architect contest, (for me the equivalent of a hole in one) judged by Tom Doak and spent 3 days at the end of January 2006 with him & group at the Bay of Dreams in Baja Mexico.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:16:22 PM by Carl Rogers »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
My sole and only ace in 37 years of golf - which the envious or malicious or malcontents of the world say doesn't count since it occurred on a par three golf course - also occurred with my then 9 year old son, in a match against him, and allowed me to HALF the hole as he got two strokes and made one of the few pars of his young life.  It impressed the heck out of him.  I thought it was pretty special.
TH

Didn't we vote here to call any hole in one on a less than championship course a "Huckaby" ? :D
I got my one and only after 30 years of playing on New Years Eve at Angeles National #12 two years ago.

Read my post.  The only votes for such were from the envious, malicious or malcontents.

;)

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
When I had my one and only hole in one, I called my father on the cell phone and told him about it.

My dad was in the middle stages of alzheimers disease and almost to the point where he had lost his ability to comprehend a conversation. But he understood my hole in one. He asked me to discribe the shot. That was actually one of the last times he and I connected in a normal conversational way.

archie_struthers

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
 :D ;) :D

Anyone ever make one at  #5 PINE VALLEY   or   # 16  CYPRESS

never saw one on #5 despite my many trips around the course

interestingly enough,  one morning  three holes in one made on #3  before 11 am  ....causing quite a stir   !!!

the pin was middle front left ...in a spot that just seemed to be the end of a funnel....

none were made in the afternoon.....as the pin was moved at lunchtime   !

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
I had a kick in birdie at #16 CPC once. It was under a foot, just left. It tracked the flag all the way there. That would have been sweet.
Mr Hurricane

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »

:D ;) :D

Anyone ever make one at  #5 PINE VALLEY   or   # 16  CYPRESS

never saw one on #5 despite my many trips around the course

interestingly enough,  one morning  three holes in one made on #3  before 11 am  ....causing quite a stir   !!!

the pin was middle front left ...in a spot that just seemed to be the end of a funnel....

none were made in the afternoon.....as the pin was moved at lunchtime   !

Archie,

Bing Crosby had an ace at Cypress. So did a couple of friends of mine, one Tom Taylor was the President of the club years ago and the celebrations lasted a week. Another,  Merrill Magowan, for whom I worked at Merrill Lynch thirty years ago, had one at about the same time I had an ace at the Dunes fourth hole. His was the sixth hole-in-one at CPC and mine was the same number at MPCC. He claimed boasting rights but I claimed mine was superor at 241 yards to his 219 yards. In retrospect I think he was right.

There have been 19 aces at the 16th at CPC to date, two of them by college girls, the first was Marie McKay a Scot attending Stanford and the second was Brooke Godwin, a left hander out of Vanderbilt. Both played the mens tees.

Bob

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
I am stuck on 0, but came close on the wee 13th yesterday.  Hope springs eternal.

I have 5 eagles on par 4s...

I'm right behind you, Wayne.  No aces and 4 eagles on par 4's, the last coming 2 years ago up in your neck of the woods.

Tom Yost

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
I have a funny story about a good friend's one and only hole-in-one.

He and another friend were playing the front nine at an executive course in a retirement community when the hole-in one was achieved.  At the turn, they rushed into the pro shop and announced the event, perhaps with visions of a name on a plaque or whatever.  The bored old guy behind the counter looked at them and gruffly asked:
"You keeping the cart for the back nine?"

That was very special indeed!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
I have a funny story about a good friend's one and only hole-in-one.

He and another friend were playing the front nine at an executive course in a retirement community when the hole-in one was achieved.  At the turn, they rushed into the pro shop and announced the event, perhaps with visions of a name on a plaque or whatever.  The bored old guy behind the counter looked at them and gruffly asked:
"You keeping the cart for the back nine?"

That was very special indeed!

Tom,

Now that's a " Perfect Squelch."

Bob

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »

There have been 19 aces at the 16th at CPC to date, two of them by college girls, the first was Marie McKay a Scot attending Stanford and the second was Brooke Godwin, a left hander out of Vanderbilt. Both played the mens tees.

Bob

Much as I hate to correct such a fine gentleman as yourself Dear Bob, MHAIRI (pronounced 'Varry') did indeed make an ace on #16.

Somehow, amongst the multitude of wonderful plaques and pictures on the walls of the clubhouse, I happened upon hers quite quickly.

Who is the marvellously poetic member(?) who writes all those wonderful words of praise?

cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
When I first visited Scotland in 1991 I made my first ace ever on the 16th at Carnoustie.  I parred 17 and 18 and my caddy told me he'd been carrying for over 30 years and never seen or heard of anyone finishing 2 under on the last three holes.

In 2001 I was due for a return visit and a couple weeks before I left for Scotland I aced my home course's 13th for my second hole in one.  Guess I should have left for Scotland a bit earlier!  I had to settle for a birdie on 16 this time, and even par on the last three holes.

Dunno why everyone thinks Carnoustie is so damn hard.  Hell, I've never gone 2 under on the last three holes of my home course, and getting through them in level par is hard enough I probably manage it less than 1 out of every 10 times! ;)

Shivas - I'm not sure how I could explain how you could sink so many shots and fail to do so on par 3s.  Other than my two aces I've only sunk ONE shot over 100 yards, and it was a 5 iron for a freaking BIRDIE on a par 4 after I drove into the trees!  I've come awfully close to double eagles on par 5s about a half dozen times and even hit the stick with my drive on a par 4 once but I'm starting to think an albatross will elude me.  I guess we always want what we can't have...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
Had to drag this topic back up.  Got a tx call from my 75 year old mother this afternoon.  She made her first ace this morning on the 18th hole at Mountain Shadows.   :o  The dreaded water hole which has claimed many a golf ball from her and her friends, gave one back today.  Her handicap may well be up to 27, but there are few people in the world I'd rather play golf with.  Congratulations Mom!

Chris Black

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 09:49:16 PM »
How about an albatross?
How about an albatross on the fourth at Lahinch?  I holed my blind second on the fourth hole of the first day of our trip to Ireland in July.  Very special.
Read all about it here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/K2Rbicf46MCPHQ-JU3BKLQ

Doug Siebert

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 02:33:41 AM »
That's pretty cool Chris!

I must admit I'm shocked that you were told there had been only one other albatross on the Klondyke!

I would think there'd be at least a few since its short, plays with the wind, and the hard ground means the ball will spend a lot of time rolling.  Yeah, its a blind shot, but so long as most people aim in the general direction there will be enough cases where their lack of perfect aim is exactly cancelled out by their lack of perfect execution ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Ari Techner

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 03:25:01 AM »
I had a hole in one at Pacific Dunes #14 with a 5 iron from 120y into a 40 mph wind during a tournament that I play with friends.  Also on the Dell #5 at Lahinch.  Both were pretty special. 

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 06:39:07 AM »
Two years ago on the original: #15 North Berwick.

Chris Haspell

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 07:31:46 AM »
Stuart Mccolm the construction manager here at Castle Stuart had one on  the 11th during preview , we like to think it hit a sprinkler head , but the first on the course ,

And My first in the presence of my father in law who at the time had been playing 25 years and not had one , I hugged him that hard it nearly broke him in too, Having him there to witness it was better than the hole in one itself, not that we are competative you understand!

Chris

TEPaul

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »
For a very special hole in one, I'll take one I had in my club's big annual member/guest invitational tournament because when it went in it also won the match.

Figure that one out!   ::)

I have had what seems like an unusually large amount of holes in one but nevertheless somehow they seem to me to be semi-flukes because I frankly cannot remember hitting that many shots that just end up really close to the hole, not to even mention the fact they all came in spurts separated by some fairly long hiatuses.   ???  I guess there might be something to be said for that old adage that the "hole (or flag) gets in the way."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:02:55 AM by TEPaul »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
I witnessed my dad making one for a car back in about 2001.  We had a non-golfer riding along for the round who doesn't know the game, and didn't think this was a strange occurrence until our reactions.  Too bad I lipped my 8-footer for birdie, as our group could have gone 1-2-3-4.

Before I had my first H-I-1 last year at Chechessee Creek (with GCA's Jeff Siskind!), I had notched a semi-hole-in-one at Jeffersonville (on the front, 140-yard hole).  I was in the middle of a conversation and pulled the wrong club from my bag (PW, I meant to grab 9) and hit short of the green.  Confused, I realized my goof, and promptly jarred the 9-iron I meant to hit.  A very nice (with a sociable ruling on my first ball) par of 3.

I've heard it's harder to hole one from the fairway, but I've done that 15+ times, so I think there is something just strange about the possibility of a 1 off the tee.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

archie_struthers

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 09:31:35 AM »
 8) ;) 8)

any hole in one made in our group at Greate Bay .....  we have a standing rule that if someone makes an ace ...everyone owes him /or her
a C-note ........and no one begrudges the maker  ...not real emotional or poignant ...but true capitalism at work...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:55 AM »
My buddy had a Hole in One at Pine Valley #3 yesterday. I was not there  :'( but spoke to him on the phone and he sounded like an 8 year old who just hit his first walk off homer in Little League!

As tradition dictates, Pine Valley pulled the flag and I believe The Pro and his playing partners sign the flag and he gets to keep it. Not even members get flags at Pine Valley, unless they get a Hole in One.

I am sure it has been done here before, but any "special" holes in one out there?

I am currently 0 for 10,000+ holes.

The son of a gun had another one yesterday at Calusa Pines.

Sweeney remains 0 for 10,200+ holes and counting.  :'( Where is the fairness!

John Garrison

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 04:19:04 PM »
My dad was a pretty good player. He had six (6) aces and I was fortunate enough to witness two (2) of them.
Never have had one myself, but have had two(2) double-eagles, both on the same course but different holes.
The first was at age fifteen (15) with a driver and six-iron. Ah, if only I were able to hit that par five in two with a six-iron again. The second came many years later on the ninth hole. It was an "emergency nine" with all bets and presses riding when the one-iron went in.

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »
This is a thread where I really wish someone could get Ran to share. Many moons ago, I seem to recall him having several hole-in-ones at special places, Dornoch among them.

I also seem to recall Steve Lapper having a couple very impressive ones.

And, of course, Bob Huntley has at least one very special one, and an albatross, if memory serves.

Mine is at a little Mom and Popper called Hartman's Deep Valley in Zelienople, PA, but it's kinda special to me, and makes me probably something like 1 for 1000 par 3s in my life, if that. 183 yards of beauty.

Nobody ever said life was fair. :)

* forgot to mention one of my friends had his first at the Valley Club of Montecito, I think. Another has 2 at Mountain Ridge.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:42:56 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Wagner

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
Two stories:

Made two double eagles in 3 months-  one was on a par 4 that had never been aced.  That one was playing on mother's day with my dad and two brothers - the perfect foursome.  Yes, we went back and had dinner with mom.

My dad who had never had one in 55 years of a 5 handicap - finally made one.  He then got to the end of the year "KP contest" with other members who made one during the year.  They were heckling the hell out of him for it being his first one - about 50 guys watching the contest....what did he do?  He knocked it in!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back