News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Very Special Hole in One's
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
My buddy had a Hole in One at Pine Valley #3 yesterday. I was not there  :'( but spoke to him on the phone and he sounded like an 8 year old who just hit his first walk off homer in Little League!

As tradition dictates, Pine Valley pulled the flag and I believe The Pro and his playing partners sign the flag and he gets to keep it. Not even members get flags at Pine Valley, unless they get a Hole in One.

I am sure it has been done here before, but any "special" holes in one out there?

I am currently 0 for 10,000+ holes.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:56:08 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Jim Franklin

Re: Very Special Hole in One's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
Is 4 birdies in a row then a hole-in-one special at Turnberry? If so, yes, if not, no.
Mr Hurricane

John Foley

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »
Mike,

Cool story. One of my old VP's worked for / sold to ATT / Lucent for just about his whole life.

In an outing at Pebble prior to the Pro-Am w/ a bunch of ATT / Lucent people he aced #7.

His secretary told me he would tell that story 4 -5 times a day every day afterwards.
Integrity in the moment of choice

JESII

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »
Sween,

I have been in the room at Pine Valley when they present the flag, ball, signatures and all to a guy...just one of a number of things they do really well there to make it special. They will have it mounted for you in a really attractive frame if you want afterwards.

I caddied for a hole-in-one there on #3 by one of the managing partners of Sandler, O'Neill in about '97 or '98. It became more special after 9/11, unfortunately.

I am currently 1 for 10,000, but 0 for my last 7,000

Scott Sander

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:09:31 AM »
My Dad has 2.

The first came on a day that his ballstriking led him to borrow a buddy's 5 iron.  First swing - ace.

So he goes out and buys the same set (MacGregor JNPs) and plays well with them for nearly 20 years through the middle of this summer, when...

...he gets an invite to play Medinah #3 - and with a new set of irons on order, pulls out a JNP and plops in his second ace.

So they went in with a bang and out with a bang.  Nice.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:39 AM »
Mike I took my son to PV when he was 16.  The pin on number 3 was in the center.  My son hit his tee ball to the far right of the green.  The ball hung for a second and then started to to drift down the hill.  It picked up speed as it slide down the hill.  We were just beginning to cheer until it hung on the lip. 

By the way is it "holes in one" or "hole in ones? I hear both.

I made a hole in one about fifteen years ago on my first round after ACL surgery.  I barely could walk and still had a brace on my leg.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
No Pine Valley here, but I had a fun one to close out a round on a 310 yard par 4.  I hit a good tee shot right where I knew the ball could kick down to the green.  We got up to the green and couldn't find the ball anywhere.  When I finally courage to check the cup, I found it happily resting there for a double eagle 1. 

Here's a rendering of the hole.  Anyone played it?

http://www.granitelinksgolfclub.com/Images/Library/hole09.jpg

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
One of my finanical advisers e-mailed me recently to let me know that he had just taken up golf and aced a 188-yd hole with a 3-wood on the 6th round of his life (possibly a Redan, using the "kick-plate"?).  He doesn't see what is the big deal about holes in one.......

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »
I had one on my birthday.

JMorgan

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
As tradition dictates, Pine Valley pulled the flag and I believe The Pro and his playing partners sign the flag and he gets to keep it. Not even members get flags at Pine Valley, unless they get a Hole in One.

Add that one to my list of golf mememtos.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
My sole and only ace in 37 years of golf - which the envious or malicious or malcontents of the world say doesn't count since it occurred on a par three golf course - also occurred with my then 9 year old son, in a match against him, and allowed me to HALF the hole as he got two strokes and made one of the few pars of his young life.  It impressed the heck out of him.  I thought it was pretty special.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »
I got one at the 17th at my local muni....after the ball went under the windmill...ow, never mind......
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 11:06:16 AM »
One of my finanical advisers

It's good to be Rich. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 11:16:58 AM »
I got one at the 17th at my local muni....after the ball went under the windmill...ow, never mind......

i forgot to add my congrats to the real acer...i hope my first one can be at a special place too!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
For those of us who remain barren...is there any such thing as a "not very special hole in one".  Congrats...I think any ace would be pretty special.

Bart

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:35:58 AM »
For those of us who remain barren...is there any such thing as a "not very special hole in one".  Congrats...I think any ace would be pretty special.

Bart

BINGO!

One hopes it will occur at Pine Valley.
One takes it if it occurs on the short course at Santa Teresa.

TH

SPDB

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 12:03:33 PM »
I'm betting the pin was front to middle left. I'm also betting there are quite a few aces on this hole, mostly to this position.

I have a friend who made one on #3 during his first "Members Weekend." That's quite a way to make your debut at PV.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »
I had always worried that I'd get my first on some po-dunk course or that I'd skull the shot and have it roll the entire length of the hole and drop in almost by accident.  But, I got my first one a couple of years ago on No. 5 at The Ocean Course.  Played lousy on the first four holes, hit a pure 5 iron into a 20 mph wind and aced it.  Lost the ball on the next tee shot and played lousy the rest of the round.  All except for that one 5 iron!  Best of all, I was playing with the sports editor for the Asheville paper.  Since I was on the clock, I could sign for the drinks I bought afterward (luckly we weren't busy that day...).

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »
Best here was during a find raiser for the American Cancer Society... one of those how many holes can you play in one days deals. Sponsors sign up for whatever amount per hole, per birdie. and hole - in -one...

Well everyone checks off something for the HIO... or they used to as many were somewhat surprised when it came time to collect and had to pay off the Hole In One sponsorship.

Another nice moment was a casual round with the wife one evening and boom, in the hole... though that is less special these days if you know what I mean.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
I not only saw Eddie Peck get the first hole-in-one ever recorded at Ballyneal, I snapped a pic!

Then I holed my bunker shot at the E-green (number 7)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 03:01:11 PM »
I spoke to another high school golf teammate today about said hole in one. My other buddy informed me that he has had a Tom Paulian 7 holes in one and one was for a car at a charity outing!

Where is the love????

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »
My sole and only ace in 37 years of golf - which the envious or malicious or malcontents of the world say doesn't count since it occurred on a par three golf course - also occurred with my then 9 year old son, in a match against him, and allowed me to HALF the hole as he got two strokes and made one of the few pars of his young life.  It impressed the heck out of him.  I thought it was pretty special.
TH

Didn't we vote here to call any hole in one on a less than championship course a "Huckaby" ? :D
I got my one and only after 30 years of playing on New Years Eve at Angeles National #12 two years ago.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 03:32:50 AM »
Sorry guys, but I had a hole in one on my first ever round of golf. I was 11. At least I had the decency to wait until the 9th hole though. 130 yards downhill - 5 iron, bounced over the front bunker and straight in.

My only other hole in one, in 25 years of trying, was on a 298 yard par 4 at Frilford Heath near Oxford. I borrowed my friend's driver as I was struggling with mine - only shot I ever hit with it.

wsmorrison

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:20:41 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

Your buddy is going to have to get 10 more holes in one to match Old Man Paul's 17!  I am stuck on 0, but came close on the wee 13th yesterday.  Hope springs eternal.

I have 5 eagles on par 4s but those aren't nearly as satisfying as a hole in one.  I wonder why as I think they are harder to achieve.

Jim Tang

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
Myself, Jeff Tang and Jim Colton (all members here) had played golf together for 20+ years and had never had a hole in one.  Then, during a regular morning round at our daily fee course, with these guys as witness, I made a 1.  It was just magical.  I had won the "Race for the Ace".

Jeff and Jim were so happy for me, but secretly, I knew they were jealous as well.  Two months later, while on a golf trip with Jeff at Reynolds Plantation he made a 1.  Unfortunately, Jim Colton was not present to witness the event.  Jeff was so blown away he played the next hole with the ball before realizing it and then put it in his pocket.

Well, Jim Colton was now the lone man standing and he became OBSESSED with joining our exclusive club.  At every par three he launched his tee shot directly at the flag.  Hole loaction, wind speed, shot length, status of the match did not register for Jim in this situation.  One simple thought dominated his brain; make an ace, man, make an ace. 

The summer closed and Jim didn't have his 1.  He was despondent over the winter.  He became convinced that he would go to his grave without an ace.

However, the next summer, Jim finally got his ace at the same course I got mine (different hole) with Jeff as witness.  I wasn't there, but from what I've been told it was a screaming shot from 200 yards that bounced once on the green, solidly smacked the flag and found the bottom of the cup.  For the sake of our friendship, his professional career and probably his marriage, this was a good thing.

What is interesting is that between the three of us we had played thousands of rounds of golf over a 20 year period without anyone making a 1.  Then, within 15 months of each other, we all found a way to get it done.  It just goes to show you how actually seeing it done and a little competition can inspire you to achieve anything.

The "Race for Ace # 2" is currently being conducted.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back