News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE AUCTION - BUY NOW or Forever Hold Your Peace
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
Word...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
While it's fun to watch this auction from the sidelines, I would add a touch of admiration, this is an amazingly generous offer. Thanks Sean.
Let's make GCA grate again!

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »
I hope the proceeds are going to Charity...otherwise I'm pretty sure E-Bay works.
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
Pat - as Sean says in first post, the proceeds are going to Ran.  So not exactly charity, but close enough.  The man does rely on donations to fund the running of this site.

And this is the part that makes it admirable to me, as well.  If not for the proceeds going to a good cause, I'd have to wonder at the sanity at paying this much for this book.  Now the FIRST version - the one Tom D. refuses to sell - that I could understand.  But this one is just like the one I have (the Sleeping Bear version) without pictures.  And although it is a decent book, I've never gotten the clamor over it.  I think Anatomy of a Golf Course is a WAY better book.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:02:37 PM by Tom Huckaby »

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
I take my comment back! Sorry.  :)
H.P.S.

Ken Moum

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
I'd have to wonder at the sanity at paying this much for this book.

Oh, I don't know....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110263627472

Others seem to think it has some value....

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
Ken - to me that's just more evidence of the insanity of all of this.

;D

Chris Burgard

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »

Actually, $700 is quite a good deal for this version now.

I have seen them sell between $1,300 and $2,875 in the last two years...mostly through PBA Galleries and Ebay.

Chris

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »
Guys, I am not doubting this could be a fine investment.  That wasn't my point.  I was thinking of it as something to read.

;)

Ken Moum

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »
Guys, I am not doubting this could be a fine investment.  That wasn't my point.  I was thinking of it as something to read.

;)

I think it's more about having it...

With my income, I can no way justify paying $400-$500 for a book, but I have bid up a couple of these on eBay--just because I want one.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tim Bert

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 10:39:03 PM »
I'd have to wonder at the sanity at paying this much for this book.

Oh, I don't know....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110263627472

Others seem to think it has some value....

Ken

What's interesting is the other items the seller has up for grabs.  She offers shipping discounts for combined purchases, so act now!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »
OK.  I'll be a dickhead and relate a totally true story from a couple of weeks ago.  My mom cleaned out some closets at her house and brought some books she "thought were mine" over to my house.  In the stack were two Confidential Course Guides (Sleeping bear Press version with pics).  I had purchased three of the books simply browsing through Barnes and Noble a long time ago and had planned on giving two away as Christmas gifts. 

Obviously I gave crappy presents that year since I still have the extra two copies--never even had a page turned in either of them!!

No.  They are not for sale--I am giving them as gifts, albeit late, to the guys I had planned to years ago.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my copy over the years but my gosh guys, books are to be read not hoarded like gold.  I'd only give the book to someone I knew would enjoy it as entertainment and wouldn't consider giving one to someone I thought was going to turn around and try and make money from it :P

I also ran into a neat guy and I suppose friend/acquaintence back in 1999 of TD who related over several pints what he claimed were to his best recollection some of the comments from the original notebook version of TD's "book".  I don't care if the stories weren't true--they were that funny and absolutely unprintable ;D 

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »
Guys - Tom should get a load of credit as it was his trade offer which made this extra copy available.  Being a bit un the wiser, I had no idea the edition I traded for was this valuable and I am sure Tom did know.  I had been looking for a way to auction my copy off (one with pix), but when Tom made an offer I couldn't refuse the Ltd Edition copy was auctioned instead.  From my understanding of things, its a win-win-win situation which is the only way to deal with these sorts of things.  Now, keep bidding!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
For the benefit of those still interested in the auction.

I can report that Bidder #2 has upped his price to $700/£378.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:05 AM »
A new chap has entered the fray, Bidder #5 has pitched $750. 

Bidder #2 just upped it to $800/£435.

Ciao

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 02:45:20 AM »
Bump
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:52:30 PM by Sean Arble »

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »
Going once to Bidder #2 at $800/£435.

Ciao

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
Sean, if the bidders are amenable. I'd add another Confidential Guide with 1/2 proceeds to site and 1/2 proceeds to Charity.

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »
Going twice to Bidder #2 at $800/£435.

Ciao

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
Sold to Bidder #2 for $800/£435. 

Thanks to all who participated - I am sure Ran will put the money to good use.

Ciao

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »
So was this a secret auction or can you tell us who the lucky guy was? I nearly put (gal) in brackets after guy there, but no woman would be sad enough to fork out a week's wages on a list... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 05:12:55 AM »
FBD

Sorry, the man in question is playing his cards close to the vest.  I can say that he is a well respected member of the Tree House who promises to love, honour and cherish the book.

I also want to stress Tom's involvement in this plan.  I hatched the idea, but it couldn't come to fruition without the Tom's input. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:25:34 AM by Sean Arble »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 07:58:44 AM »
Edit - meant to be an IM thanking Sean for his generosity to the site

Peter

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:14:39 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »
Sean & Tom-

Thanks for the generosity to this site!

Chip

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back