News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Peoria IL, the Golf ... & Davenport CC New
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:43:50 PM »
exeunt
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:49:58 AM by JMorgan »

Jeff Tang

Re: Peoria IL, the Golf ... & Davenport CC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
Coyote Creek in Bartonville, IL is very close to Peoria.  It's been about 4 years or so since I last played it so I can't speak to the current condition of the course but when I played it it was in good shape, had some interesting holes, and was fun to play.  Price was reasonable too.
So bad it's good!

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
I might try Spirit Hollow in Burlington, IA.  I've never played it.

Scott Sander

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:20:41 AM »
The hidden jewel of public courses in the Quad Cities is Glynn's Creek - Scott County (IA) Park - wooded, rolling, CHEAP.  Fine example of keeping costs low while maintaining the course impeccably.  The design itself is not full of thrills, but it's rock solid and a wonderful day's walk.

Hawthorne Ridge in Aledo, IL has some terrific holes, but maintenance was up and down over the years.  Don't know how it is these days.  It'd be a closer drive from Peoria.

Davenport's munis are pretty mundane - Emeis is the best of the bunch.  Duck Creek is kept well, but also features a few of the unkind things some people really mean when they say "sporty".

Bettendorf has Palmer Hills.  Fine, but not great.  Worth visiting to see one of the truly awful (IMO) holes in golf - a par 5 that goes something like 5i/blind 3w/wedge.

On the private side, if Davenport CC doesn't happen, Crow Valley in Bettendorf and Short Hills in East Moline are very good golf courses.  Also, Oakwood held the Hardees/QC Open/Classic/whatever for many years - it's an early Dye that many enjoy but I'm not very fond of it, frankly.

(The best "Golf" course in the quad cities may actually be the disc golf layout at West Lake in Davenport.  How'd that land go to the "wrong" kind of golf   >:( ;) If someone would just loan me a mower and 18 pins... ;D )
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:24:42 AM by Scott Sander »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
I might try Spirit Hollow in Burlington, IA.  I've never played it.

I'd second that choice...might be slightly out of the way towards the Quad Cities, but it is a wild ride and a fun spot to play.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Doug Spets

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
I would highly recommend Weaver Ridge in Peoria.  Bent grass everywhere...large rolling greens...and some incredible elevation changes.  It's been open about a decade I guess...an absolute must every summer when I go back to visit my family.

TPC at Deere Run is a typical TPC course.  Usually in wonderful shape.

Coyote Creek made me feel a big claustrophobic...but that could be because I was spraying it all over that day.  My brother plays it several times a summer...and loves it.  So maybe I should give it another chance. 

The course I grew up on used to be called Midland Country Club near Kewanee.  It's now public with the name Kewanee Dunes.  Front nine mostly by old Tom Bendelow with the back nine mostly William James Spear.  Out in the middle of a corn field...but a fun golf course for the price.  The greens are usually like carpet...but they definitely need to do some tree-cutting though.

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
bump

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »
Glynn's Creek is the name of the course I mentioned in my IM as Scott County. Very worthwhile to play.  Have Fun, Jack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back