News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

#18 @ Bandon Trails....
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
For those of you that have played it, what did you think?  Is the landing area too penal for a blind tee shot?  How about the approach shot?  Would this hole be more acceptable if it came at a different point in the round?

Tom Huckaby

Re: #18 @ Bandon Trails....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »
Is the landing area too penal for a blind tee shot?
I don't think so - since one can generally play an iron to it, it's just a matter of picking one's poision.  If you hit driver and try to take it right, then weird things can happen.. or you can be great... but given it can be played conservatively to the parts one can see, I don't find it to be too penal at all.

How about the approach shot?
No hassles there at all - it's tough for sure, but certainly not undoable.  It makes for a great finish, I think.

Would this hole be more acceptable if it came at a different point in the round?
Is it not seen as acceptable now?  I hadn't heard that.  In any case, I think it works just fine as it is, and where it is.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
For me it was a let-down, probably because it's a flat piece of land, away from the ocean and the routing required getting back to the clubhouse -- perhaps not 100% anyone's fault, but not a very interesting par 5 for me.   

Not too tight IMO because you can lay-up so I guess there's some strategy, but I like holes where length AND width come into decision-making, and they don't here.  This hole wouldn't WOW me no matter where it was found in the round. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
Matt:  18 at Bandon Trails is a par 4.  Are you thinking of 18 at Bandon DUNES?  That hole is kind of a let-down.  18 at Trails I can see being called many things, but let-down wouldn't be one of them.

TH

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
I'm not sure I think it is TOO penal, but I do agree it is an exacting shot that can have penal results.  It's a hole where I've never been completely comfortable on the tee shot, which isn't always a bad thing.

The wind compounds the issue.  I usually feel like I need a driver even if I don't.  The problem is the driver runs through on the left and the right if you don't have your bearings straight.  The fairway is pretty generous once you get over the hump, but the way it sets up I think it plays much more narrow than the actual width.

It's definitely a nice hole to have an experienced caddie pointing you in the right direction, though our results on this tee shot have been poorly executed which negates the benefit of having the correct line.  

I would suspect that C&C were looking for fear or confusion when standing on that tee.  If they built it with the intent to create a breather down the stretch, then they failed!

Jim Tang

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »
The final 3 finishing holes at Bandon Trails are pretty brutal, playing uphill and into the prevailing wind.  I think the 18th a fair hole.  It is just very, very hard.  Is it the most dramatic hole on the property?  No.  But, as mentioned earlier, Crenshaw had to get you back to the barn somehow.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »
Crenshaw had to get you back to the barn somehow.

Yeah, Coore was waiting for him there.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »
Joe:

I've only played the far back tee (not on the scorecard, but just left of the 17th green) with a winter (downwind) breeze.

I can just get to the top/clear the crest, MAYBE get to the first knob in the downslope.

Longer hitters, like chanon, as you know, thought that after hitting driver 4 times he'd played there last year that it was better suited to a 3 wood for him--he was consistently punished for hitting driver and having it go in the left crap.

If one moves up a bit, then the trouble that comes into play as a result of the bumps and rolls is too penal, IMHO for the "better than average" player to hit driver.

Alternatively, I think it's fine for the typical bandon customer/player.

IMHO, it's the second shot that's the pain in the ass.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
I had a chance to play this hole severely downwind.  This made the second shot very difficult but fun. 

The tee shot I don't see as being to penal.  You can play something less than driver, depending on wind and tee of choice to the left side of the fairway and funnel it down to a a very short approach.  It's not that narrow with a shorter club in your hands, especially if you've played the hole a couple times and know where to play it. 

Matt MacIver

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
Matt:  18 at Bandon Trails is a par 4.  Are you thinking of 18 at Bandon DUNES?  That hole is kind of a let-down.  18 at Trails I can see being called many things, but let-down wouldn't be one of them.

TH

WHOA!  Teaches me to read/think/and type while eating lunch.  Sorry.  

Bandon TRAILS #18, a different story.  Aside from both the wind and sun in my face at the end of a long day, I had no problems with the landing areas.  But I still think it's a par 5  ;)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
It's hard to have a lot of love for #16 and #18 when playing them against the wind and as your 34th and 36th holes of the day--they're uphill and difficult.  I don't consider them unfair, but they're not among my favorite holes at Bandon Trails.  #17 is, however. 

Ajay Yadav

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
I was disappointed with the: 14th, 16th and 18th at Bandon trails...... 

the 14th rewards only one tee shot (if hit perfectly AND also lucky at the same time to reach the green or near it) ..... everything else is punished....

16th: doesn't matter what kind of tee shot is hit.... slice,,, straight, draw, hook...ball is likely to end up at the same place on the left side.... similar story with the second shot..... so no real thinking involved in the shots... one has to just muscle one's way to the green.

18th:  similar situation with the 18th....

given that three of the last five holes are sub-par, its not a great end to the round (#1-13 was great).....makes you wonder what it could have been...

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »
i will start first by saying i absolutely love bandon trails.  one my top 10 courses i have played.

i do agree with several of you that 18 is a bit quirky.  those hidden pots down on the left got me three times out of three.  the second shot is ok, a bit of a let down after such a great course, but it is fair.  i just don't like hitting an iron off the tee on 18 (and i realize there are great courses that mandate irons on 18, i just don't prefer them)

17 is so good though i ended up talking about 17 the entire time playing 18 that i tend to forget that hole anyway. :D

Mike Benham

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
14, 16 and 18 are good match play holes.

18 is a difficult drive and depending on the wind, the bunkers down the far left side might be deemed unfair, but if you can control the distance of your tee ball, the left side is a good angle to attack the green from.

Blind is ok, it happens a couple of times at BT so it is not a once a round phenomenon.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jason Pyle

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:58 PM »
Joe I am with you.  I think the landing area is very tough - got in trouble 2 out of 3 balls on that one.  I love the aproach to that green (love the green period) but that's not my favorite tee ball on that course by a long margin.  My entire group, after playing it 3 times over 5 days just never quite "got" that hole - it's really a letdown after playing such a fantastic Par 3 17.  But I'd gladly take a letdown tee shot on 18 for the other brilliant holes on that course. 

Mike Boehm

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
I've had one trip around Bandon Trails.  Hit what I thought was a perfect drive  (right at target caddie gave me) and ended up having to pitch out virtually sideways from the left fairway bunker.  Certainly a disappointing result, but I liked the hole.  I'm not sure what I'd do next time around.  Hitting a driver to end up with a wedge or less into that tough green is an  appealing option, but certainly brings those left bunkers into play - and those bunkers are severe.  Laying back with a a shorter club might get me better results on average, but if you  don't hit that longer approach solid you may have a long pitch coming back to the green.  I wish I had another crack to figure it out - but I  like the risk/reward scenario to it.

I loved the green and the surrounds.  Anything can happen around that green with the false front and large hill in front.

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 07:39:47 PM »
This hole playes very differently depending on the summer or winter wind. Into the wind, the tee shot is very daunting.

Everything left funnels into a divot filled area over the hill.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »
I still am waiting for the round where my tee shot gets over the hill. It usually pauses just short of the top and rolls back thirty yards. Therefore, I can't answer the question. From watching others play I know you can't hug the right side.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 02:08:30 AM »
Would the hole work if there was no bunkering on the left hand side?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:13:34 AM by Joe Bentham »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 09:17:22 AM »
I've never understood the validity of questions like "would it be better somewhere else in the round?"  The course IS the course.  It will not change.  Is it a good hole?  I had no problem with it.  Should all 18th holes be trophy wives?  I don't believe they have to be.  18 at St. Andrews Old is not a trophy wife at all.  It is a pleasant finish to a round of golf.  I also don't mind 14, since we take what we get in golf; there is no entitlement.  As far as issues with caddies, I didn't take one at any of the courses but, coincidentally, the worst one was the one fellow golfers had at Trails.  He said there was no way to hit into the cross bunker on 15, then his "man" stepped up, did it, and told him he was a stupid F*&%.  Funniest moment on the course that day.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
The final 3 finishing holes at Bandon Trails are pretty brutal, playing uphill and into the prevailing wind.  I think the 18th a fair hole.  It is just very, very hard.  Is it the most dramatic hole on the property?  No.  But, as mentioned earlier, Crenshaw had to get you back to the barn somehow.

I thought 18 was a piece of cake the only time I played it.  Bad drive into the gunch right, chop out, 5 iron to 50 feet, slam dunk par!  Routine....... ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »
I believe that the bunkers in the landing area come into play much more often than intended, because management tries to counteract the prevailing wind by placing the tee markers forward of where the designers expected them to be.  Even though it is a long hole, it's not a driver hole from the tees we play.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 07:35:40 PM »
Playing the hole a box back does take the bunkers out of play for most.  It would also take the green out of play for many players, even after their best tee ball.  Not to mention the guys who couldn't make the fairway. 
When the wind is up most players wouldn't notice/care if the clubhouse came after the 17th green anyway and then they are asked to hit the toughest tee shot of the day.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think moving a bunch of dirt might be it....

Tim Bert

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »
Adding a picture for that might not be familiar with the hole.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
  I think the routing could have been better.If you switch 1 with 18 you avoid a blind tee shot.18 then would finish in the dunes with a much better view of the water.A more pleasant way to wrap up a round of golf. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back