News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Sayre

Great tee markers
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:12:01 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but can you connoiseurs tell me the "best" tee markers you have encountered?  Tasteful, classic, interesting?

Pictures, descriptions especially welcome.

I am on a search.  Seaside course, traditional.

Thanks!

Adam Clayman

Re: Great tee markers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
Indigenous natural materials.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BVince

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
Here is a link to a previous "Favorite Tee Markers" thread
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32017.0.html
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
I have always been partial to the tee markers that have litter baskets which can hold a set of clubs or two - a small sign with the #, yardage and SS of the hole cover one side of the container.  The other tee marker is a simple disc.  These used to be on loads of links, now I rarely see them.  I would be willing to bet someone on this site has a photo of what I mean.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Scott Sander

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »
When I last saw Rock Island Arsenal Golf Course back in 1996 or so, it had  military ordnance for markers.

I can't remember if they were large-calibre rounds or small missiles or what exactly... but they were very cool for a military arms depot.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
I'm partial to Ballyneal's tee markers...none.

TX Golf

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
Sean,

I think this is what you were looking for. I came across them at a bunch of course in Scotland. St. Andrews New and Old, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Carnoustie, and I believe at Kingsbarns.

john_stiles

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »
Have only played one course a couple of times with no tee markers.    It isn't that big a deal after one or two holes.      Sometimes it is a bit annoying actually as you might be playing a tee favoring you or your opponent time after time.   No use adding that to the game of golf.

My preference is for small, simple items,  like a small stick, maybe even painted.  Small manufactured items like discs,  often found in UK, are fine as well.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »
Wooden markers in the shape of a standard
incandescent bulb, w/the metal threads.
Found at the Edison CC in Rexford(Near Albany) NY.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »
Sean,

I think this is what you were looking for. I came across them at a bunch of course in Scotland. St. Andrews New and Old, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Carnoustie, and I believe at Kingsbarns.

Robert

That is close!  I was thinking more of the shorter ones where the rubbish bin is down in the legs and the sign of the hole hides the bin aspect.  Cheers!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:37 PM »
Color me simple.  I like Augusta's pine sticks and Pine Valley's simple wood "pegs".

Merion's are fantastic too.

To me, the worst are those metal ones machine cut into a letter signifying the club.  They're too tough to see!

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:38:28 PM »
I don't like the round colored balls.  Too common.

I agree with Dan, metal cutouts are awful.  The worst of all are the ones at Rolling Green.

I don't like the artificial branches with colored ends.

I love the railroad tracks pieces at Yeaman's Hall. 

I don't like the farm implements at Tobacco Road.

I like the look of Merion's cement shapes--it looks like the paper soda fountain cups are used as a mold. 
I'll have to find out what it is, exactly.

I like the metal disks as at TOC.

I like Pine Valley's upright sticks better than Augusta National's supine sticks.

Ian Larson

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:10 PM »
The oil rig drill bits at Wilshire CC that were donated to the club by Howard Hughes.

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back