News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Remington (SBR)

Classic era storm water drainage
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
  Looking for examples of a classic era course, preferably east coast, that successfully dealt with storm water runnoff when it was built.  Not with the use of ponds and lakes.  What I have in mind is a course that used grass ditches to convey the water when it came.  Even better if the ditches are a strategic part of the course.

Philippe Binette

Re: Classic era storm water drainage
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »
Oakmont is the best example if this...

Storms only exist since global climate happen, isn't it

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »
Sean,

Oakmont is the best example I know where they use fescue-grassed ditches along the periphery of most holes.  They are very functional and extremely penal.

Sunningdale Old (Surrey, England) uses formal ditches, but not nearly so often as Oakmont.  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »
Sean,

My home course, at Essex G&CC in Windsor, ON Canada, features a network of grass ditches created to deal with storm water over a very flat property. The course was designed by Donald Ross during the late 1920s.

I can't say Essex' ditches set-up great strategies, but they're in play; and, they certainly provide golfers with a sense of some topographic relief over this very flat course. I think this is an important element of the design of the course.
jeffmingay.com

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
Sean,
There is a thread awhile back that deals with this question and talks about the use of ditches.  We have a project in NY that has incorporated a ditch for just this reason.  That ditch is more functional to direct and remove storm water than it is strategic but that could change as additional work on the master plan continues. 

Brookside CC in Pottstown also incorporates ditches to manage storm water.  The course acts bacically as a huge catch basin/filter for the local area's runoff.  Most of the recent course improvements have been to manage water and improve drainage.  Ditches are part of the solution.
Mark

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »
The best GA storm water drainage ditich I've seen is the deep ditch that runs diagonally across the par 5 14th at Palmetto. A wonderful strategic feature.

A modern architect might well have piped the area - and the world would be down one great hole.

Bob 

Michael

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
Question..

Was drainage the main reason behind the use of elevated greens and tee boxes?

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »
Thank you for the replys.  Wayne and Mark you can probably picture what I am dealing with here at Green Valley.  Looking for any possible way to avoid the cost of constructiong a traditional catch and controlled release storm water system.

Bob - Do you have a picture of the hole at Palmetto?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Michael,
Drainage was and is the reason behind MANY things that architects have to deal with in design.

Sean,
I can envision what you are dealing with.  In a lot of ways similar to the issues we had to deal with at Brookside.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back