News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Friar's Head Revisited
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
     I had the fortunate opportunity to play Friar's Head for a second time and it has only gotten better with time.  The clubhouse is now open and the whole experience has become a dream. Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with me so I will try and describe what makes FH so special.

The new clubhouse is the best modern golf course clubhouse I have seen.  It is beautifully done with some incredible touches, yet it is not over the top and pretentious.  The views from the outside dining include LI Sound, the 18th hole and the 9th hole.  Step around to the side and you can also see the 1st hole.  Inside is a wonderful locker room which also has great views, as well as comfortable areas to relax after the best showers I have ever experienced.

The course was in fantastic condition and played firm and fast.  The greens go from some subtle contours to really wild internal mounding such as on number 7, where the green is probably 70 paces deep and 30 paces across.  I understand Bill Coore has made repeated visits to the course and added putting areas to some greens, including number 9, and trees have come down which have allowed the exposure of the natural dunes between numbers 1 and 9.  The course is extremely challenging yet fair by giving you the opportunity to be aggreessive or conservative depending on conditions.  We played with about a 15 MPH wind and it made the course even more enjoyable.  You wind your way from the dunes to the flatter section of the course but it loses little.  The holes require thought and placement or making par becomes a challenge.  As you wind your way up into the dunes for the last few holes and look back you are in awe of what you see, and as you look forward you see a golf hole which fits perfectly into its surrounding.  You come to the short 17th and the wind is blowing and the target becomes very small as the group in front watches to see if you do any better than they did.  You then come over the hill on 18 to see the green and the wonderful clubhouse - life is good.

Surely, FH ranks up there with the best.

Bill_McBride

Re: Friar's Head Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
Jerry, I love the way the par 5s act as "escalators" to get you from the dunes down into the flat (#2), back up (#7), down again (#11), and finally back up again (#14).

Each is a terrific hole with decisions to be made and, on the "up" escalators, wonderful greens benched into the dunes.

I too had a great time at Friars Head and hope to return some day.  The clubhouse was under construction when I was there, sounds like they built a beauty.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »
Bill: The clubhouse puts the whole experience in order.  The course was always great but driving from 4th hole to the first tee and the construction behind 9 and 18 just never felt right - now it just perfect.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
Jerry,

The wide fairways, bunkering, wind and green complexes combine to present a wonderful challenge, one that's both demanding and fun.

Ken has done a spectacular job in bringing Friar's Head from concept to reality.

It's a "GOLF" club where GOLF is king and very enjoyable.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »
Me stupid - from the clubhouse you also see the fabulous par 3 10th.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:22:55 AM »
Here it is:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:23:56 AM »
Jerry,

The clubhouse is very well done, but, I look at it as an addendum to a spectacular golf course.

If the clubhouse was a ramshackle building it wouldn't make the golf course any better or worse.

The GOLF course, practice facility and nine hole course make Friar's Head special in the world of golf.

The clubhouse is merely the icing on the cake.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back