News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Go for the golf and choke the food down...
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
Hands down the worst place I have been for food after playing a brilliant course is Ballybunion. 

Dornoch used to be bloody awful as well.  The new restaurant there (forgot the name) has gone a long way to fixing that. 

Prestwick (Ayr to be more precise) is a shocker and Cambletown is right there with it. 

Perranporth is fairly dire.  The town is full of what seemed to be heroin addicts - not intererested. 

Cruden Bay is rubbish. 

Ciao

Sean,
In Perranporth (actually about a 1/2 mile inland from the course in a charming country area) we found a very good meal in a great pub setting at the Bolingey Inn.
The town (along with Newquay) was quite drab.

I'm pretty low maintenance, but I've had pretty good experience with food in the UK and Ireland.

Except for our lunch with you at Tenby which was slooooow and bad ;)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Golden

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »
The Monterey food was ok - but, compared to the golf, it didn't compare.   

JW,

Where on earth did you eat?

Bob

It's hard to believe anyone could think the food in the Monterey Peninsula disappointing, there are so many restaurants that have excellent food at virtually every price point-unless you go to the Hog's Breath Inn, of course, it's one of the worst restaurants I've ever been to.  And you just need to stay away from the tourist spots in Monterey for the most part...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
I found San Diego confused in its culinary direction. 

Ken Moum

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »
Hutchinson, KS? You can only eat so much Applebee's and Chili's.  I was tempted to ask the pro shop people but they were all young females and I didn't want to seem like I was looking for a date for the evening. 

Well, the Airport Steakhouse was recommenced to me by a co-worker who grew up in Hutch, and it wasn't bad.

For some local flavor (and genuine Amish "atmosphere") I recommend heading down to Yoder for Carriage Crossing. There aren't many places left where you can get true family style food with bowls of mashed potatoes, vegetables, etc.

Ken

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bruce Leland

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:53 PM »
How about Globe, AZ and Apache Stronghold.  Two or three mexican restaurants in town and none of them comes close to the dive in Indio!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:19 PM »
Myrtle seemed awful food wise...

Some good courses (Caledonia, TrueBlue, Legends).

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Paul_Daley

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 12:51:48 AM »
Kalen: don't you go for the golf and "choke down on the food" ... as opposed to choke the food down? Like: if it's a three-egg course; you take two eggs, but take 'em real easy. You'll know the old term: eggs over easy!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 01:03:20 AM »
One of the ugly truths of our nomad lifestyle as golf course builders is that the food BEFORE the golf course opens is sometimes hard to bear.  Trust me, we ran out of choices quite quickly in places like Holyoke and Deer Lodge and Bridport, Tasmania ... so that none of you would ever have to sample the restaurants we ate in for a year!

However, if the golf qualifies as good enough, I will second the nomination of Globe, Arizona as the worst food of the lot.

In contrast, working out of Bandon Dunes Resort, or Havelock North, New Zealand, or Palm Springs or Yountville, California has been pretty cushy.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:43 AM »
In contrast, working out of [...] Yountville, California has been pretty cushy.

You charging the client for French Laundry, or just getting sandwiches at that deli/grocery in Oakville?   :)

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 03:38:15 AM »
Hands down the worst place I have been for food after playing a brilliant course is Ballybunion. 

Dornoch used to be bloody awful as well.  The new restaurant there (forgot the name) has gone a long way to fixing that. 

Prestwick (Ayr to be more precise) is a shocker and Cambletown is right there with it. 

Perranporth is fairly dire.  The town is full of what seemed to be heroin addicts - not intererested. 

Cruden Bay is rubbish. 

Ciao

Sean,
In Perranporth (actually about a 1/2 mile inland from the course in a charming country area) we found a very good meal in a great pub setting at the Bolingey Inn.
The town (along with Newquay) was quite drab.

I'm pretty low maintenance, but I've had pretty good experience with food in the UK and Ireland.

Except for our lunch with you at Tenby which was slooooow and bad ;)

Jeff

I knew your Welsh itinerary was overcrowded (or did I use the word "crazy"?)!  I haven't been to Tenby in years - though that is nothing to brag about because it is a lovely course. 

To be fair, I generally have had good experiences with food in the UK and more recently Ireland, but a few places really stand out as diabolical.  The really wierd one is Ballybunion.  All that money rolling thru town and no Irishman has had the gumption to give these moneybags a good place to eat and rest their heads. 

Daryl

Yes, 2 Quail is very good, but not the sort of place 9 golfers roll into after a late afternoon session down the pub.  The place I am thinking about is much newer and more casual.  Its only been open maybe 5 years at most. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »
Sean

You are thinking of "Luigi" which is the best place to go in Dornoch these days, both in terms of the dining, but also for social activity (now that the Burghfield is NLE) :'(.  As for 2 Quail, I think it is highly overrated in a culinary sense, unjustifiably pretentious and not value for money.  Serendipitously, a recent article in the NY Times on Highland restaurants agreed with me.    IMHO, the Castle is now very good (if pricey) and Sutherland's is solid if not terribly adventurous, but, to each his or her own.  Overall, Dornoch is not a bad place to eat these days.

Rich

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »
Sean,
The lunch at Tenby was slow-but you're right-you weren't there.
I may need to drink less when I play overseas. ;D

You were at Ashburnham with us---yes the itinerary was a bit full as we played Pennard both afternoons
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »
Sean,
The lunch at Tenby was slow-but you're right-you weren't there.
I may need to drink less when I play overseas. ;D

You were at Ashburnham with us---yes the itinerary was a bit full as we played Pennard both afternoons

Jeff

Ah yes, it was Ashburham.  I know because I distinctly recall touring you round Swansea on the way to Ashburnham. 

Rich

Of course, Luigi's!  A fine place it is too.  Though, the main memory I carry is that of a Yank walking around in shorts taking orders.  His name wasn't Luigi.  Oh yes, they served many fine bottle of Tuscan plonk.   

Sutherland's eh?  Not so sure about that choice of eatery. 

How is the fancy hotel coming along?  You know, the one the club should have bought and used as a clubhouse with their millions of tourista (free - may as well win the lottery)pounds.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »
Sean

The name is "Luigi".  It used to be "Luigi's" when it was an ice cream shop, and until a last year when the current owners dropped the "'s." The American (once known on this website as "Skye Surmonte") is just the front of the house.  His partner, the chef, owns it and does the cooking.  I've known her for 30 years.  Sutherland's is very acceptable, and more local than any other restaurant in Dornoch.  John K would love it as they have great steaks and I'm sure could whip up a shrimp cocktail for him (if he doesn't mind fresh shrimp....).

The Royal Golf hotel is in the process of being sold, but I wouldn't bet on there being any publically accessible posh nosh there in the near future, nor anything but a minor association with the golf club.  The last thing that RDGC needs these days is a bigger clubhouse.  People in the know rent out any of the large houses now available and hire their own chef to satisfy the daily needs of the inner man (or woman).

Rich

Matt MacIver

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »
Tobacco Road has hot dogs and white-bread sandwiches, yuck and boo.  And if you're playing 36 there's no where close enough to grab a quick bite. 

Love the quaint rustic clubhouse, hate the "food". 

Bruce Leland

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
Clear winner:  Gothenberg Nebraska.

I don't remember exactly what nasty filth we choked down that night we stayed at the Super 8, but it was a zero as far as dining goes.  The golf course was, however, wonderful.

Shivas, apparently you didn't find the Randazzle Cafe.  It's located in the heart of Gothenburg on Lake Avenue.  Right by the Lake, I presume!  There is also Walker's Family Steak House.  Ah, the choices one must make!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
Tom D,

You make a really good point about downsides of building courses in remote areas.  I can imagine the nightlife or "local wildlife" selection for your single crew-mates is pretty abysmal as well.  ;)

Switching gears a bit,

Any truth to the rumor that the food situation in the UK in general is somewhat lacking.  There are good resturants I'm sure, but heard for the most part you have to look around to find some good fare, or just consider it apart of the diet program by abstaining from the local options.   ;D

john_stiles

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
A third thread,  "savor the golf and the food". isn't needed.

But since the 'remote' part of the issues has been raised, would like to mention a remote location with good golf and good food.

You might try Mike Young's Cateechee Golf Course in north-east Georgia.

Very interesting course, with a wonderful skyline green, and very good food and service in the restaurant.

And all of that in north-east Georgia.  It is sort of a mini-resort, conference center, with a good golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back