News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kevinT

Best public courses to play in Pittsburgh?
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
Would like to know if anyone can reccomend what they believe in their opinon is the best public courses to play in the Pitt area based on design, conditioning etc........looking to head out that way to play and would like to hear what others have to say. Thanks!

George Pazin

Re: Best public courses to play in Pittsburgh?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »
Depends on a lot of things - how much you value conditioning, how far from the Burgh you're willing to travel, how much you're willing to pay, etc.

On the $$$ end, there's basically Mystic Rock and Olde Stonewall. Neither wow me personally and neither is remotely worth the $$$ - but they are good solid golf courses. Many other people - maybe most other people, actually - have much higher opinions of both than yours truly.

My own personal favorite public course (aside from my beat up home muni, which will always be special for personal reasons) is Quicksilver. They used to host a Senior Tour event there and now they host a Hooters Tour event. It's very reasonably priced - $55 last I checked - but I haven't been there this year so I have no idea what kind of shape it's in. It's been a relatively rain free summer (especially for the Burgh, JohnV wouldn't believe it if he had stuck around :)), so the budget courses are likely in rougher shape than the courses with $$ (especially the many wonderful old private courses we have here - wish I could help you out there, but I'm a public golfer myself).

Birdsfoot is thought highly of by some, but it suffers from many of the same problems that most Burgh public courses do - very difficult terrain, which causes the occasional awkward hole. It's no surprise that the older courses are more highly regarded, as they have the choice land.

Let me know if you feel like grabbing a beer, or need help with directions. Pittsburgh is second only to Boston among the many places I've been to in terms of finding your way around - hope you either have a damn good map or GPS.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
I second Quicksilver and add Cranberry Highlands as good, solid, not spectacular courses.  Longaberger, which people on the site dont like but is highly ranked, is 2 hrs and 20 minutes away, and Bedford Springs is maybe 1 hr 40 min.  I think B. Springs is the best public course in the state, at least in terms of fun, if not championship challenge. 

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
Olde Steonwall GC (Ellwood City, PA) is a good Hurdzan and Fry course is close to Pittsburgh.

The Links at Spring Church(Apollo, PA) is a fun public course by Dominic Polumba is good.

Alcoma CC (Pittsburgh, PA) is a good semi-private course that just opened up to the public and was orginally designed by Emil Loeffler and John McGlynn in the late 20's.  It is on some wild terrain.

And of the ones already mentioned, Birdsfoot would be a very good course to play as well.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »
Olde Stonewall is pretty good, worth playing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
I always enjoyed Mt. Oden. Being a southerner I am fascinated by the huge hairpieces I can take from the fairways up North. It's been awhile since I played it, but it always seemed to be in great shape with very nice greens.

I am also reminded of driving to Mt Oden and passing Greensburg CC 's hole where you hit it over the fence and road to that insane green. I think it was #8 or 9 ?? Gotta be one of the most unique holes in the US.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
Quick Silver in Midway leads the way for me among courses that are close enough to the core area of Pittsburgh. I liked Birdsfoot but it's a bit of a trek -- ditto Nemacolin plus the added $$ to play there.

I'm not a big time fan of Olde Stonewall. In fact, I really like the front nine compared to the serious routing and shoved in features faced with the inner half.

If you have a bit of time head to Wheeling, VA and play Olgebay -- the original 18 is very good by RTJ and the Palmer layout is so so.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
I am playing Birdsfoot in 2 weeks. I had hoped to play Links at Spring Church, but they were having an outing that day. I will report on the others we are playing as well. Nothing too exciting this year though...
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
Olde Stonewall is worth playing... if someone else is footing the bill. :)

I think they start fall rates after 10/1; at fall rates it's only a bad deal, you don't fell totally screwed.

Thanks, Chris Blakely, for the Alcoma heads up - I will look into it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
I'd skip birdspit altogether.  There are some downright UGLY golf holes out there...that hideous crater par-3...in fact all the par-3s are weak and that hole that wraps around early in the round (2?) is just awful.

in th plus column, its cheap (cheep?)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »
I'd skip birdspit altogether.  There are some downright UGLY golf holes out there...that hideous crater par-3...in fact all the par-3s are weak and that hole that wraps around early in the round (2?) is just awful.

in th plus column, its cheap (cheep?)

Going to have to disagree on Bridsfoot, you may not like the crater par 3 hole (Hole #17); however, I enjoyed this hole as well as the par three 9th finisher on the front 9.  It is a solid long par 3 that requires a carry over a revine.  As for the 17th hole, the green is set at an angle and slightly downhill and was a fun shot.  As for whether one prefers the craters or not . . to each their own.
As for it being cheap or not, I believe it is between $60 and $39 dollars depending on when you play it.

George,

You are welcome on Alcoma, it was a lot of fun to play - some wild holes out there.  Several of the holes on the back 9 were tinkered with by Ferdidnand Garbin and James Harrison.

Chris

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »
The one I want to play is Schenley Park.  ;D

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
I have wanted to play Grand Vue GC in North Braddock.  Looks like it is on some undulating terrain with a lot of unique holes.

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
One thing worth noting on Birdsfoot:

A friend (read: Pittsburgh rock star :)) recently told me that if you sign up for Birdsfoot email list, they will email you specials. Frequently they have a Thursday special where it's $100 to play - split however you show up (ie. $25 per guy if a foursome, $33 if a threesome, etc).

I would say the par 3s are nothing special, but not really awful, either. I did get a good laugh out of Birdspit, thanks Jay. :)

astavrides

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »

I probably played it a 100 times when I was a kid, and several times as an adult.  Have you played it, Mike?

astavrides

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
One thing worth noting on Birdsfoot:

A friend (read: Pittsburgh rock star :)) recently told me that if you sign up for Birdsfoot email list, they will email you specials. Frequently they have a Thursday special where it's $100 to play - split however you show up (ie. $25 per guy if a foursome, $33 if a threesome, etc).

I would say the par 3s are nothing special, but not really awful, either. I did get a good laugh out of Birdspit, thanks Jay. :)

expect like 3 emails a week if you sign up for the mailing list...

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
I played my very first round at Schenley Park. My uncle played Birdsfoot on Sunday for the first time and said it was the best he has played in the area - I'll be going there next week based on that. My favorite has always been Champion Lakes in Ligonier (about 20 minutes north of Laurel Valley).
Be the ball

astavrides

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
I played my very first round at Schenley Park. My uncle played Birdsfoot on Sunday for the first time and said it was the best he has played in the area - I'll be going there next week based on that. My favorite has always been Champion Lakes in Ligonier (about 20 minutes north of Laurel Valley).

Yes, Champion Lakes, a great one for the money.  Dick Groat, NL 1960 MVP, is the owner and often works in the pro shop or bar-or at least he did the last time I was there 10 years ago.

JohnV

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:49 PM »
If you are going as far as Champion Lakes, I'd prefer Tom's Run at Chestnut Ridge.

Another pretty good one is Pittsburgh National (formerly Deer Run) in Gibsonia.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »

I probably played it a 100 times when I was a kid, and several times as an adult.  Have you played it, Mike?

Nope...I haven't, unfortunately.

My brother went to college at Pitt for 7 years...undergrad and law school.

Unfortunately, those were my "lost years" when I didn't play much golf.

However, I recall vividly riding through that course, and it is certainly unique and has some wonderful history, as well, which I'm always a sucker for!  

I even picked up a scorecard, which I still keep with my files.   I also researched the name of the designer in recent years and it turns out it was a fine local player whose name escapes me at the moment.

Honestly...the next time I'm in Pittsburgh if I have a couple hours to kill that would be the first place I'd go.

After Primanti's that is, although back then I was all about The "O".   ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:00:05 PM by MikeCirba »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
Primanti's? How could anyone in their right mind eat a sandwich with french fries AND cole slaw on the sandwich? The last time I was in Pittsburgh I stopped by but the sight of that thing made me turn around.

In any event, the former Deer Run was a very good course,reasonable and close to the city. Why did they change the name? Did they add cabins for out of town guests and corporate bigwigs?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Tang

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
I lived in the North Hills for a few years and played a decent number of the Pittsburgh public tracks.  I'd agree that Old Stonewall is good but very pricey, especially for that area and since it's a decent hike to get there from downtown.  It was probably my favorite course in the area.  I liked but didn't love Mystic Rock, and Quicksilver would probably round out my top three for the Pittsburgh area.

Cranberry Highlands is a good newer addition to the area.  I played the Palmer course at Oglebay, I wish I had gotten in the RTJ course there also.  I'd agree Tom's Run is worth a drive out there as well as the Links at Spring Church.

I lived close to and played a bunch on North Park, not a great course by any means but it holds a sort of sentimental value to me as my home course for my time in Pittsburgh, and it was a fun place to play.

Overall I'd agree with one of the earlier posts that the private courses may have gotten the best of the land out there.  A lot of focus seems to be on the private clubs in that area of the country and less attention is paid to the public ones.  The terrain is so severe that it's tough to make a course real playable all the way around.  Plus I'd guess with the terrain it's difficult to maintain these courses and combined with a lot of play the conditioning of the courses seem to suffer.

So bad it's good!

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
"Cranberry Highlands is a good newer addition to the area.  I played the Palmer course at Oglebay, I wish I had gotten in the RTJ course there also.  I'd agree Tom's Run is worth a drive out there as well as the Links at Spring Church."

All excellent choices. I live on Long Island but still have season tickets for Pitt and come in for most of the games. I'll be playing Cranberry next week in addition to Birdsfoot. Deer Run (also a good choice) was sold last year and the owners decided to change the name. BTW as a Pitt grad the first place I stop in town is the Big 'O'.
Be the ball

astavrides

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »

Nope...I haven't, unfortunately.

My brother went to college at Pitt for 7 years...undergrad and law school.

Unfortunately, those were my "lost years" when I didn't play much golf.

However, I recall vividly riding through that course, and it is certainly unique and has some wonderful history, as well, which I'm always a sucker for!  

I even picked up a scorecard, which I still keep with my files.   I also researched the name of the designer in recent years and it turns out it was a fine local player whose name escapes me at the moment.

Honestly...the next time I'm in Pittsburgh if I have a couple hours to kill that would be the first place I'd go.

After Primanti's that is, although back then I was all about The "O".   ;D

Schenley Park-- come for the rubber doormat teeing grounds, stay for the 11 holes which play across or alongside city streets.  Ormison is the name of the designer according to what I find out once.  I don't know anything about him.  Probably for 70 years in Pittsburgh, it was either join a private club or play Schenley Park, all 4600 yards of it.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 01:08:42 PM »
Yep. George Ormiston was a top player in Pitt around the turn of last century.

It used to be called Pittsburgh Golf Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back