News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re: Go for the food and tolerate the golf.
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »
Its gotten better over the years, but San Antonio food used to well outpace the good golf.

Lester

Chris Avore

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
I'll definitely chalk my vote up for New Orleans.  One of the only places I travel to and DON'T bring my clubs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »
KC?  I don't know the golf there but the BBQ is pretty darn good.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Deucie Bies

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »
I agree with Dallas.  It might not be as well known as other cities, but the food is actually very good there.  I have never been impressed by the golf courses there, but I am going back in October and am going to see a few of the better courses.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get on Dallas National (a course that is very intriguing to me), but I am going to play Brook Hollow, Colonial and Shady Oaks (I know the last two are in Fort Worth, but they are all in the metroplex!).  I am hoping Colonial's renovations are complete by then.     

John Nixon

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »
Is the love (or hate) for New Orleans due more to crappy golf, or simply outstanding food? Or, to put it another way, would the crappy golf lead to the same result if we substitute, say, Pittsburgh for NO?

Would the NO food lead to the same result if applied to any other city, regardless of its golf?

Is NO in a category of its own?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »
Is the love (or hate) for New Orleans due more to crappy golf, or simply outstanding food? Or, to put it another way, would the crappy golf lead to the same result if we substitute, say, Pittsburgh for NO?

Would the NO food lead to the same result if applied to any other city, regardless of its golf?

Is NO in a category of its own?

I have NO in my top 4 for food, but if you swapped its food for the other 3 (NYC, SF, Chicago), the golf in each of those other cities--assuming we're including privates--would hold its own.  So it's not just how good the food in NO is, it's how relatively bad the golf is. 

SL_Solow

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
John Nixon;  Anyone who mentions Skyline Chili in a conversation like this is my kind of guy.  I'm afraid that the existence of Camargo alone elevates Cincy above New Orleans.

TX Golf

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »
Thanks Deucie,

I have been surprised by the food here. You would never think of it as a culinary capital but once you get down here you find that it has some pretty amazing food. The variety and quality of the restaurants is incredible. JWinick obviously doesn't agree with us on this one.

Robert

TX Golf

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
By the way Shivas..... NICE photo!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 05:27:42 PM »
Although it is not a city, this subject is essentially the review that one of the golf mags gave Carter Plantation.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Benham

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »
Charleston, SC ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

JWinick

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »
Dallas is a good town.  I think the golf courses are ok and so is the food.   With Colonial and Dallas National, they've got good weather and a few well-regarded courses.  

According to Mobil travel guide, Dallas does not have one five star restaurant.   I'm not saying they don't have good food, but ranking Dallas behind San Francisco????   I'll put NY, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, SF, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. all above Dallas for culinary expertise.

http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/fivestar.php

TX Golf

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »
Ok... maybe putting it directly behind SF was a bit zealous (can we agree that SF is #1), but it does have great food. I would put Chicago ahead, and maybe NY. Definitely not Philly, LA, or Boston.

JWinick

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 05:37:32 PM »
I would say NY, Chicago, and San Fran are pretty close.   I'd go with New Orleans.   

TX Golf

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »
Hands down SF.... New Orleans is unique but can't compare with SF. Although a shimp po-boy sounds pretty good right now!!!

Tim Bert

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »
BBQ alone outpaces the golfing options in Memphis and there is some other decent food to be found there as well.

I'm not sure Nashville has good food, but the meat & 3 places surpass most of the golf in the area.

JWinick

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »
For current culinary inventions, (and i've lived in NY and Chicago), nothing beats Chicago.   Chicago has popularized using technology to make food taste better.   I can't compare San Francisco, because I haven't eaten at enough restaurants.

Hands down SF.... New Orleans is unique but can't compare with SF. Although a shimp po-boy sounds pretty good right now!!!

Lester George

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
Please, please do not use the word "CHILI" and any portion of OHIO in the same sentence!!!!!

Its so not even "CHILI" that Ron White does a comedy routine about it!!!

Lester

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
I just was asked 'All done with your steak?' crazy want to get off work twat, hell no.  I'm sorry if some mandigo stud is waiting in thw wings I didn't come to this hell forsaken town for the golf. 

JK, every now and then you go from "offensive" to "embarrassing" in seconds.   Well done here.   ::)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »
I am sorry to agree that Louisville belongs on the list.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »
Charleston, SC ...

There must be a mistake.  Hard to wrong with The Ocean Course and YEAMANS HALL, not to mention CC of Charleston.  The food is superb as well, but it sure as hell doesn't make this list.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Boehm

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
Portland, Oregon - hardly a chain restaurant in the entire town and very much a city for "foodies".  Some fine golf for sure, but nothing that matches the array of great cuisine.  This, obviously, is not considering Bandon (4.5 hour drive away) part of the city.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:56:29 PM by Mike Boehm »

Sean Leary

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
Portland, Oregon - hardly a chain restaurant in the entire town and very much a city for "foodies".  Some fine golf for sure, but nothing that matches the array of great cuisine.  This, obviously, is not considering Bandon (1 4.5 hour drive away) part of the city.

I agree. Portland is becoming quite the restaurant town. Probably better than Seattle at this point.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »
Scott,

You are probably right about GC of I.  I probably should have said Eagle Creek.  It is different from the other notable Dye courses in Indy because it is indicative of Dye's earlier and simpler approach.

I played Eagle Creek and it confirmed the suspicions of my drunken rant.  During the middle of the round I considered starting a thread questioning if Dye invented minimalism.  The course may have been fine in its day but is now an outing factory dumbed down to the point that when the pro handed me the cart keys he said "Put it in the slot and give it a turn to the right."  Then the ultimate insult of when I went to cash my many certificates charging $60 a dozen for ProV's.  Why the additional rip off after have both 18's full on a Wednesday?

Speaking of rip off...I was charged $16 a piece for my double Maker's and diets.  When did Indy go LA on us?

Richard Choi

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
Portland, Oregon - hardly a chain restaurant in the entire town and very much a city for "foodies".  Some fine golf for sure, but nothing that matches the array of great cuisine.  This, obviously, is not considering Bandon (1 4.5 hour drive away) part of the city.

I agree. Portland is becoming quite the restaurant town. Probably better than Seattle at this point.

Oh, c'mon Sean. There isn't a single restaurant in Portland that is on equal footing with Herbfarm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back