News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Jefferson

Re: Four Mile Ranch - Engh's Evolution in Design ...
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
Matt Ward;

Thanks for taking the time to so thoroughly answer my question about Harmony Club!

I appreciate it!

Tom
the pres

Matt_Ward

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:46 AM »
Tom:

Be sure to include Highland Meadows in Windsor on your itinerary in the event you can't access the private Harmony Club.

Both are solid additions to that area of Colorado and I enjoyed my time at both.

Be curious to hear your comments on either course if the opportunity to play them ensures for you.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
Matt;

Well, I am happily 'stuck' here in the work I do at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, so about as far as I ever venture for golf nowadays is Portland or Eugene.

No, my question about Harmony was to gain some insights into the course and how it is reflective of Jim Engh's work, as I have a staffer who worked at Harmony, and in our discussions of his life & work there I had no reference point other than his to go by.

Now I have a bit more, courtesy of your imput.....for which I am appreciative!

Thanks again,

Tom
the pres

Brad Tufts

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:01 AM »
I actually found FMR to be the most fun (new to me) golf course I played in 2008.  I loved the options, the risk-reward questions it posed, and the shale-mound "inverted bunkers" found throughout.  The landscape and hazards present something very different than almost anywhere else.

Part of it might be that I tied my career round, but it was a true slam dunk.  The next time I'm near Pueblo, I will definately stop by again.

One of these days I will post some pics if I can get my act together...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »
Brad:

Was there any hole or holes you especially liked ?

Like you I took some photos and will need to share with the group.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »
Interesting to note I understand Four Mile Ranch is offering daily rates of $36 for two players w cart through the balance of the winter season.

I often wonder if facilities run the risk of undercutting themselves with such discount rates because it sets the tone for players to expect that to be the case during the high season times.

Four Mile Ranch has so much to offer but it will be interesting to see if people do trek the short distance from Colorado Springs, and even Denver, to play there.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »
I made the 2 hour drive down from Denver a few weeks ago and it was $45 total with a cart.  Worth every penny and every minute of the round trip drive.  I had a blast and am thinking about doing it again soon.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »
Located in Canon City -- about 45 minutes southwest of Colorado Springs is a new daily fee facility designed by Jim Engh -- the man responsible for such noted courses as Lakota Canton Ranch, Black Rock, Pradera, to name just three of his more successful courses.

I wish we had known about FMR last year.  Spent four days fighting the rough and conditions at The Broadmoor (it was already in Sr US Open condition).  A day away would have been refreshing!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 12:12:46 PM »
Glad to hear the comments -- Roger by all means get there to play when the opportunity arises.

Well done layout that is very playable with a ton of interesting design features.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »
Here are a couple of pics from my round. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
Thomas P:

Love the first picture you provided.

Superb mid-length par-4 that dog-legs left -- one cannot see the landing area from the tee shot. The further left you go the easier the angle into the green. Hit it too far right and you can be blocked out by a bunch of issues.

The green is wonderfully shaped and contoured.

If the pin is just beyond the rear rise it takes a first rate approach to settle near the pin. Not only is the hole attractive from a visual standpoint but the execution and design demonstrate that length alone will not suffce here or on many of the other holes at Four Mile Ranch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back