News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSlonis

Re: Crump Cup 9/28
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
Jamie:

Do you know if they still have the policy if a competitor does not make match play two years in a row  they are off the invitation list? Back then they only had eighteen holes of qualifying. If you missed one year, to say you felt some added pressure the next year is something of an understatement. I like that they went back to 36 holes of qualifying.

Tom,

I'm not really sure if that policy still exists and luckily I haven't been in the position to find out.  I'm very happy in early August when that envelope arrives at my home.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 05:16:22 PM »
AAAAhh, you're too good to need to worry about stuff like that James Slonis! My problem down there in that tournament began when they started adding serious yardage to the course. When that started happening I thought I had to get more aggressive and use my driver all the time and the trouble was I'm just so goll-danged long I was hitting it off the tees right through fairways and right into those second shot crosshazards.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »
Matt - you're right about the quality of the golf.  The two shots on the 5th hole were pretty amazing - especially standing 10 feet from the competitors.  Some really great golf out there!

The shots on 5 were amazing and also mccoys shot on 2. The pin was in that back left position just over the ridge and somehow he was able to get it pin high and not go over the green!! I tried putting to that location from the front of the green and couldnt git it to stop but this guy was able to do it from 170 out!!! Pretty amazing

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »
Matt - you're right about the quality of the golf.  The two shots on the 5th hole were pretty amazing - especially standing 10 feet from the competitors.  Some really great golf out there!

I tried putting to that location from the front of the green and couldnt git it to stop but this guy was able to do it from 170 out!!! Pretty amazing

I guess it's called backspin. Not trying to be a smartass, but really. It's easier to get the ball suck back with an iron than a putter...

;)

Be it as it may - I think it would be great to hook up with some GCA'ers at the Crump Cup this year and discuss this Cathedral of Golfdom, PV.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:59:56 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Matt OBrien

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

I tried putting to that location from the front of the green and couldnt git it to stop but this guy was able to do it from 170 out!!! Pretty amazing

I guess it's called backspin. Not trying to be a smartass, but really. It's easier to get the ball suck back with an iron than a putter...

;)

Be it as it may - I think it would be great to hook up with some GCA'ers at the Crump Cup this year and discuss this Cathedral of Golfdom, PV.

Im guessing you dont know the portion of the green I am talking about. backspin or not, it is very difficult to get a ball to sit back there

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »

I tried putting to that location from the front of the green and couldnt git it to stop but this guy was able to do it from 170 out!!!

Point taken.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:46:52 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Justin Broderson

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 07:42:32 AM »
I will be attending the crump cup for my first time this year with my brother.  Anyone interested in playing a 6-7am round in the area, then heading over to PV? 

wsmorrison

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 08:07:29 AM »
The gates open at 1pm for visitors only on the final Sunday.  I would suggest getting there a bit later than the opening--buses from the parking lot run regularly.  Let all the guests find their place on the golf course, nearly everyone follows the matches, and trail the competitors while studying the golf course from 1-18 on your own.  If you want to see how great amateurs are playing the holes, that's another matter.  But if you want to peacefully study the brilliance of the golf course, I think it is best to let everyone get a few holes ahead of you and start out from beginning to end.  It is worth careful study.

But of course if Jamie or other GCAers are in the finals, I suggest everyone follows them and study the course another time  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
Justin - Just be aware that the sun doesn't even rise till 7am on 9/28 in Philly.  Days are, sadly, rapidly getting shorter.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
My flatmate played in this last year and said it was an amazing honour and experience (especially for someone from the UK). He's returning to play in it this year.

I was fortunate enough to play PV earlier this year, and if any of you who haven't thus far visited PV have the chance to then you must. It's an incredible place with truly spectacular golf architecture.

wsmorrison

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:36 AM »
Tom Birkert,

Hope all is well.  Your flatmate is welcome to visit me anytime, well almost anytime.  I'm out of town on the 28th and 29th, but if he has time to get together prior to the Crump or afterward, I would like to meet him.  If so, let's set it up.

I hope to see you again before too long, my friend. 
Best,
Wayne

Jack Davis

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »
Are cameras allowed at the Crump Cup?
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

Matt OBrien

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 03:39:20 PM »
No .... but those new camera phones are wonderful  ;)

Matt OBrien

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »
I will be at PV on the 28th if anybody wants to meet up. Send me a PM and we can figure out a place to meet

Matt OBrien

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
does anybody know who won the crump cup this year?

Michael Blake

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 03:04:10 PM »
Michael Mueher beat NJ natvie Brian Komline

I was there and followed the Senior flight final.  It was great..only a handful of people followed that group.

Golf course designer Steve Smyers won the Senior final.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »
Will the Crump Cup final be held on its usual last weekend in September in 2009? Or will it be moved up one weekend to be closer to the Walker Cup? If they are a week apart it would be worth a cross-country flight.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »
Pete - if you make it, I owe you a round.  Sorry it's not PV or ME, but it's pretty good nonetheless :)

TEPaul

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
The new back tee is in on #4 and should be in play for the Crump Cup. It looks pretty cool actually and it's a whole lot more on the line of the original back tee than I thought it would be. Thank God I don't have to hit that tee shot from back there in the Crump Cup anymore. Give me a 50 MPH downwind gale and my total best shot ever and I still wouldn't sniff the beginning of the fairway from back there.  :P

But if I did have to play it in the Crump from back there it didn't take a strategic genius like me long to figure out my ideal strategy when standing back there. I would hit a wedge or nine iron with a little draw around the trees from back there and onto the middle of the 3rd green. From there I'd take a "Wrong Putting Green" drop to a nice lie on the fringe, take 4 wood from there and hit a real high trajectory shot over the trees to the bottom of the 4th fairway and then just hit a 8 or 9 iron on and one putt for a regulation par.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:03:33 PM by TEPaul »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
TE Paul,
Is the Crump Cup final on its usual last weekend in September, or has it been moved up closer to the Walker Cup?

ed_getka

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »
Pete,
   That would be cool to have the events close together, but I wouldn't imagine they will deviate from their normal dates. I know I will be at the Walker Cup this year. I'll see if I can find out the Crump dates.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 11:42:22 PM »
The final round is on 9/20.

ed_getka

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »
Kyle,
   Are you sure it is 9/20? Golfweek has it as 9/13. Although it seems odd that the Walker Cup and Crump Cup would end on the same day. ???
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2009, 11:47:54 PM »
Kyle,
   Are you sure it is 9/20? Golfweek has it as 9/13. Although it seems odd that the Walker Cup and Crump Cup would end on the same day. ???

9/17-9/20

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »
This list has the Crump Cup Sept 17-20. It looks like I'll be heading to Philadelphia in mid September if I can arrange tickets to the Walker Cup.

http://www.amateurgolf.com/tournamentmajors.asp
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:37:43 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back