News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Hines

The Links At Craneview/Nebraska National/Awarii Dunes
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
Sounds like the bar is set pretty high......

http://www.kearneyhub.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=20106113&BRD=268&PAG=461&dept_id=577576&rfi=8

"Investors said they intend to build a course similar to other highly rated dunes courses in the Midwest such as Wild Horse in Gothenburg, Sand Hills Golf Club near Mullen and Ballyneal in Holyoke, Colo."

“It’s probably hard right now for people to believe that this is the type of course we are building,” Freudenberg said. “But we wouldn’t be pulling the trigger on this if we didn’t think something really special was going to happen here.

“When everything is finished, I’m going to be really disappointed if this is not ranked as one of the top five new courses in the nation,” he said. “We’re trying to create a course that rivals Sandhills. We might not get to that level, but if we come anywhere close … we will have an amazing golf facility.”
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:00:29 PM by Jason Hines »

Gene Greco

Re: The Links At Craneview -- Nebraska --- Calcavecchia
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
     Yet another gunslinger rides into town.....

Dick Youngscap ought to be collecting royalties.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
I wish more of these sand hills developments were taking the Wild Horse-approach rather than the Sand Hills-approach. In other words, wouldn't it be cool if the sand hills were dotted with a bunch of really good, affordable public-access courses -- similar to Wild Horse -- where locals pay reasonable membership fees?

The sustainability of more and more remote private clubs, attempting to attract national members, in the sand hills scares me. 
jeffmingay.com

Jason Hines

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
Jeff,

I think you are right on. There are 40k people within 25 miles of this course, but there are also 90 holes of golf.  Kearney’s country club has a decent membership and a lot of tradition, but a quirky layout.  I would target some of these members

I played the original 9 holes several years ago, decent piece of land in the rolling dunes south of the river.  Another plus, the feed yard on the east side of the highway has since closed so your eyes won’t water when the wind is out of the east anymore.  Would love to see this place succeed for my annual trip home to see family. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 12:02:49 PM »
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.597466,-99.104919&spn=0.01903,0.068321&t=h&z=14

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=40.594582~-99.093225&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

You may have to toy with the google map aerial, but you should find it just west of hyw 44. 

The article says they acquired the land NW of the existing 9 holes.  That would put it in the section with the irrigation pivots.  It is hard to imagine that land under irrigation pivots begins with real sand hills qualities.  Admittedly, I had never stopped in in order to see Craneview on any of my trips to Gothenburg and points in sand hills.  So, I have no real take on the quality of the defunct Craneview course.   It is my understanding they had a homesite component to the project. 

But, the speculation that the course will rival the quality and "true sand hills characteristics" of the other mentioned sand hill courses, seems to me to be a bit of hyperbole.  If it is in the pivots irrigated land, well maybe they can grade and shape something very good, but it won't be natural sand hills. 

I loved Gene's comment...  ;D ;D 8)

Jason's notion that maybe they can raid some of the Kearney CCs members is interesting.  But, what can they really yield out there in the way of an affordable course that locals will frequent if it is open to public?  I don't think much more than $35-40 a round will be received too well by the locals.  If it is a national membership drive sort of affair, I don't think they would have a tinkers chance against the other big time authentic sand hill venues that are already out there or are in progress.  But, what the hey, the more the merrier... And, the Craneview site is more convenient or accessible than some of the others.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
This is a fine piece of land and I might go play there to see what they've got, but I doubt they build anything that will make it better than Wild Horse based on my trip over to see what already exists. Are they blowing up what Gene Bates put there, or just adding nine more holes?

I hope I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong on this, though.

Jason Hines

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »

From my memory as a kid the soil had a high component of sand and it appears from the aerial that there is still pasture NW of the existing 9 across the road.  However, maybe the article meant to say due west?  Would agree with Tony that the gentle rolling hills make this a nice piece of property.

The routing of the existing 9 did not flow very well and felt as though it was built for carts and real estate. Might have a chance of seeing the property over Thanksgiving, would be interesting to see how far they have progressed. 

J.

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:16:06 PM »
I just looked on Google Earth and there's a half-section of unirrigated pasture and farmland north of the existing nine. It looks like they could have easily found 150 acres of good golf ground in that.

But the routing of the existing nine does look like a housing development course designed to ridden. There are some really long rides from green to tee that must be to make room for houses.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jason Hines

Re: The Links At Craneview/Nebraska National
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »
It will be called, Nebraska National.... Completely private?

Found a link

http://golfneb.com/home
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:07:57 PM by Jason Hines »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »
A stunning landscape of naturally formed sand hills that allows the golf course to flow through the hills with elevated greens surrounded by blow-out bunkers and risk reward holes formed by the natural landscapes and native grasses.

What's a risk reward hole?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
Risk Reward: Two fairways on each hole?

I am trying to absorb the membership options/criteria and having a hard time trying to apply this future course to the property and surrounds.  I think the piece of property is very solid and could yield a very, very good course in the same genre as other successful courses in the area, but stunning?  It is across from an abandon feed yard and butt up against a group of pivots.   And that is OK.   But I have a slanted view as someone growing up in Kearney and I don’t see plopping down 5k and yearly dues to be a national member when I am 5 miles off the interstate, 6 miles from a Starbucks, 7 miles from a mall and Applebees. 

In other words, this course does not have the remote and serenity appeal that others in the region can offer.  If this is not part of their target criteria, then I think their plan is missing an opportunity with the local population based on price and the rest of the options.  Obviously, all of this is completely preliminary.  For myself personally, I am not looking for a “deal”, but what I am looking for is sand hills golf and spirit, so if Wild Horse is $500 per year, is this course going to be 10X the course?

For the record, I would really love for this course to succeed, Kearney has decent golf, but nothing too exciting. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:23:04 PM by Jason Hines »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »
Jason, doesn't projects like this become rather difficult, if they are relying on any sort of significant borrowing at this time?  If they are hoping to get enough people to buy memberships for the financing in this timeframe of the next year or so; that ought to be quite a barometer of national confidence.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
Valid points Dick.  I am a big believer that the WH model can be very effective in that area.  Don’t forget that the AG economy is very strong and I think they have a shot at pulling in the locals, but not at 40k. 

By making the course private, you give up on 20k cars passing by everyday on I-80.  Kearney does however have air service on United from Denver for National members.

I might end up in Kearney over Thanksgiving, would definitely stop by and see how things are going.

Jason Hines

Re: The Links At Craneview/Nebraska National/Awarii Dunes
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »
Drove by the course this morning and saw grass growing again on the original 9 holes.  Also saw what appeared to be bunkers, which I found intriguing because I don’t remember any bunkers (with sand) the time I played the original 9 as Craneview.
There was also earth moving equipment and what looked to be the staging of the irrigation installation.  The new nine holes appear to have been staked out with some shaping.  Forgive me, I don’t have a clue as to what phase of the construction they are in, however I did find this story from a month or so ago.
http://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/local/article_3b93b012-93f5-11de-9ff2-001cc4c002e0.html
Overall, this morning was the first instance I noticed the land to the north and it appears to be a more gentle walk and not as severe as the front.  Not that the front was all that bad, it just had a few long tee to green treks.
Jason

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 07:45:39 PM »
 8) IS the fried chicken at the Kearney Airport as good as that at the North Platte Airport?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 10:14:26 PM »
8) IS the fried chicken at the Kearney Airport as good as that at the North Platte Airport?

I didnt think any airplanes actually flew in and out of the North Platte Airport... ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
Found this website when I started searching around..........interesting

http://awa.morphasite.com/

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »
After playing Prairie Dunes this weekend, I was struck how it might've been the model followed by others. Then it occurred that Crystal Downs might've been the original great course built in the middle of nowhere. Or is Pine Valley?

Jason, Were you up to Prairie Club? I might get there next week when Dan and Dave come to town.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

Re: The Links At Craneview/Nebraska National/Awarii Dunes New
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »
Hi Adam,

I was in Kearney visiting family for a quick weekend.  I am afraid to visit the Prairie Club because it will remind me that as long as I travel most of the week and have little boys, it will be a few more years before I can join one of those clubs.  

I have to be patient and wait for them to be old enough to take them with me.  Let me know how it looks.  It would be interesting to hear from Brother Engh on this project when he has the time.  I tried to take photos on Sunday morning but found that problematic since I left my stupid camera in Kansas City.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:15:04 PM by Jason Hines »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back