News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Pebble Beach in Perfect Weather.. How can anyone carp?
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:06 AM »
I got a call from a friend yesterday to get out to the Beach to see a long suffering fellow competitor win the First Tee Open. I went out and walked from the eleventh hole to the eighteenth.

It was one of those incredible days at Pebble Beach, with the temperature hovering about seventy degrees, a cerulean sky and no wind. Having played the course many, many times, I was  stuck by the fact that each time I played,  I felt a sense of expectation of great things to come. I was never disappointed.

If we can get away from the rapacious green fees and interminable rounds played with hoards of hackers on corporate credit cards then look around. Pebble Beach is a joy and although i have read many a negative comment on this site, I know not why, it is one of my favorite spots on earth.

Bob

JohnV

Re: Pebble Beach in Perfect Weather.. How can anyone carp?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:27:27 AM »
Bob, I have to agree it is one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I was in the scoring trailer by the 10th tee on Friday and Saturday.  Friday was so foggy I couldn't see the ocean from the trailer, but Saturday was wonderful.  Sunday I was at 18 right behind the big scoreboard.  My little window on my trailer looked out over the entire bay.  What a wonderful site to spend a day.  I just wish I could afford to play there once in a while.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »
I had a very vivid dream of playing Pebble Beach before I had the opportunity to do so, and my experience there was almost identical to the dream. In other words, as close to heaven as I expect to get on this earth. Nitpick the course's flaws all you want -- and I will concede that price and pace of play are issues -- but if there is one place I could be every day for the rest of my life, Pebble Beach ranks first.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:44:28 AM »
Bob,

No doubt it is a breathtaking site.  The course is spectacular, and the setting is magical.  It is definitely one of the finest courses in the world, and walking the course might be as enjoyable as playing it.  Still, I somehow walked away from my singular play there appreciating it less than I hoped.  I usually do a fine job of fully extracting enjoyment from these special moments in golf, but I missed out on something here.

Playing the round with Johan Cruyff was a surprise bonus, but I can't help thinking it would have been more special sharing the afternoon with Jenkins, Wall, and Mayhugh the following day.  Had I known about my 2009 encore trip, I would have certainly held out and played it with my best golfing buddies in the world next year.

Tim  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:56:08 AM »
Bob,

Sounds like a glorious day.  I would have to totally agree.  There is nothing like a day at Pebble Beach.

Cheers,
Jordan

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
Bob,
It's great that you were able to head out to Pebble on such a beautiful day and take in the views and the golf tournament. 

I just played there for the first time a few months ago and expected to be underwhelmed.  However, by about the fourth hole, the green fee didn't seem that bad and the pace of play allowed me to linger just a little bit longer (nice being the last group out).  One of golf's great experiences has to be walking up the 18th fairway in the semi-darkness.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:14:43 AM »
Bob, Sorry to dampen the lovefest, but seriously, a windless day? Might as well have a picnic basket and a badminton set.

While I agree with the overall sentiments and could experience those days repeatedly without tire. However, at some point the GCA should be critically analyzed. Especially with the recent alterations by proven lazy thinkers on the subject.

Seriously, how do you decide to place bunkers on the hillside on #3?

Left center on 15?

Goal post trees on #2?

They might as well erect a windmill and have it generate power for the cart barn while providing an obstacle for the new fifth green.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
Bob, Sorry to dampen the lovefest, but seriously, a windless day? Might as well have a picnic basket and a badminton set.

While I agree with the overall sentiments and could experience those days repeatedly without tire. However, at some point the GCA should be critically analyzed. Especially with the recent alterations by proven lazy thinkers on the subject.

Left center on 15?

Goal post trees on #2?

They might as well erect a windmill and have it generate power for the cart barn while providing an obstacle for the new fifth green.

Those windless conditions yielded some low scoring.  A high school sophomore girl from Pensacola, Sarah Hicks, shot 69-69!  :o  Sarah is a good player but wow, that is some scoring.

I hope that report is accurate, it was in the Pensacola Mullet Wrapper this morning, which can sometimes get things wrong.   :P

Or maybe she only played 14 holes.  I dunno.  69-69 is pretty good under any conditions.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »
I got a call from a friend yesterday to get out to the Beach to see a long suffering fellow competitor win the First Tee Open. I went out and walked from the eleventh hole to the eighteenth.

It was one of those incredible days at Pebble Beach, with the temperature hovering about seventy degrees, a cerulean sky and no wind. Having played the course many, many times, I was  stuck by the fact that each time I played,  I felt a sense of expectation of great things to come. I was never disappointed.

If we can get away from the rapacious green fees and interminable rounds played with hoards of hackers on corporate credit cards then look around. Pebble Beach is a joy and although i have read many a negative comment on this site, I know not why, it is one of my favorite spots on earth.

Bob

My slight disappointment upon playing was that it had just been elevated to #1 in the world. I had played three courses in the previous 12 months that I would have selected ahead of Pebble for the #1 mantle...although I would quite possibly not pick any of them (ahead of Pebble) for a single round of golf.

Pebble is most certainly one of the great courses on the planet, and in an even smaller collection of the greatest places to play golf on the planet.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:40:27 PM »

Left center on 15?

Goal post trees on #2?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:44:31 PM »
Bob: Is it perhaps more the setting that makes PB so special as opposed to the playing experience?  I am a car nut besides a gca enthusiast so would I be better off going to the concours to see the cars and walk the course rather than paying $500 for golf plus lodging and perhaps taking 6 hours to play?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »

Left center on 15?

Goal post trees on #2?

My dear Adam,

Lighten up.

I could give a flying fig about the quality of the architecture, I went out there because it was a glorious day, a guy I know won the tournament, two young ladies, (one of whom I play with from time to time)  came first and seventh in the Pro-First Tee pro-am and I had some free champagne at the 17th tee.

No matter what Arnie does to the course it is still a treat to walk around the place.

Bob

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »
Walking or seeing the course still does not give the player the feelings you experience when hitting the approach on 8 or the tee shot on 18, for example. Pebble is a place that every player should play once in their life. It's one of the best experiences in the world of golf and a very, very special place.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 02:05:58 PM »
I'm with Bob's sentiment on this one.

The entire experience of the course, location, atmopshere is just off the charts good.  I could easily roam around the course and have a ball with the sights, sounds, and ambiance of the place

Its like the old saying.  Sometimes, you just have to stop, smell the flowers, and just take it all in.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
Adam,   I have always felt a visit to PB or the Monterey area in general is what life is all about. I played at KP this year and made great friends so I have great sentimental feelings towards this region and the participants. I also proposed to my wife here and returned for our 10th annniversary last May.But hey different strokes for different folks. I also could listen to Bob tell stories all evening-time to start writing his memoirs! :)    Jack

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »
Forgive me for inferring the thread might have some architecture legs. It was my mistake thinking that this thread was about the golf course.

I wouldn't argue with Bob's absolutely accurate description of just being on the peninsula on a perfect day. BTW, there are about 292 of them every year.

I lived there for 6 years and relished every moment. But, I do like a bit more wind and nice swell.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
Adam,

I was unduly harsh, I should have pefaced the heading with O/T.

Bob

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:30 PM »
A few years ago I was a conference and Arnold Palmer was a breakfast speaker.  He discussed how he didn't agree with what they where doing at Augusta and so on.   They took some questions so I got up and asked why he was changing Pebble.  I outlined #2, #5, and the bunkers on #18 as examples.   So Palmer looks at me in front of about 150 people and says, "Pebble Beach will always be Pebble Beach". 

With that I hear these people say, yea, you tell him Arnie.

The guy is like Clinton, bullet proof.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back