News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Toronto GC
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
I was just reading though Brad's book for the 20th time, and I noted a positive "award" for Toronto GC.  Brad noted that a lot of Colt's work from 1915 was still present.

Does anybody have info on Toronto GC's architecture?  What of Colt's design elements still exist?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:30:27 AM by Dan Herrmann »

John Blain

Re: Toronto CC
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:45:22 AM »
Dan,

I played Toronto Golf Club about five years ago and thought it was a pretty neat course. It had a real "old style" feel to it and it didn't seem as though anyone had come and doctered it up although I've heard through the grapevine that the club is considering a major resoration although I'm not sure it has been approved. Maybe Ian Andrew can weigh in here as I'm sure he's in the loop as to what is going on there.
I remember the front nine having a very strong stretch of holes and the back being a little short for the modern day player.
The only negative is that the 18th hole was extremely weak. It is a shortish par 4 where you have to lay up off the tee and then hit a pitch over a ravine. Just not a great finishing hole.
Overall it was enjoyable although not in the same league with Hamilton or St. George's.

Here is their website:  http://www.torontogolfclub.com/

- John

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »
Hi Dan.

It's Toronto Golf Club, not Toronto Country Club.

Colt's 1910-11 design at Toronto revolutionized golf course architecture in Canada, and certainly had an influence on a young caddie at the club, called Stanley Thompson. I think it's safely accurate to say Toronto Golf Club was the first "great" course constructed in Canada. Much of Colt's original design remains intact, too.   

I haven't visited Toronto GC in more than five years, but I do know the club's recently hired Martin Hawtree to prepare a long-range improvement plan.   
jeffmingay.com

henrye

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
The course is special, but not great.  Holes 1, 2 & 3 are weak.  4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 are strong.  10 is weak and was better a few years ago before they added the holding pond.  11, 12, 13 & 14 are all OK.  15, 16 & 17 are great and 18 is quirky, but I think it works.

The routing is the same from Colt's time and so is the clubhouse & locker room.

I'm sure Hawtree will do a great job.  If he leaves the strong holes alone and adds something to the weak ones, the course has the potential to be one of the best, anywhere.

Matt Bosela

Re: Toronto GC
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »
I just played Lakeview GC yesterday, a pretty quirky and interesting Herbert Strong muni and must admit I looked longingly at Toronto GC a few times yesterday, as it sits directly across the street.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
10th is one of the best holes at Toronto.  And 11-15 are certainly better than just OK!

I think it's better than Hamilton.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

henrye

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »
10th is one of the best holes at Toronto.  And 11-15 are certainly better than just OK!

I think it's better than Hamilton.

Paul.  Don't know when you were there last, but I'll eat my 5-iron if you can find someone who would agree with you about #10.  I stand by 11-14 as being OK.  15 is not OK, it's wonderful.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
Start eating Henry...... it's a great hole

Toronto is in my top 5 courses in the country each time I'm asked to make a list.
The collection of fours are all exceptional from number five through to 18.

Much is still intact from the origins.
Colt's plan is in the clubhouse and I have most of the notes from Colt and Allison.

Hawtree has proposed some changes to the course.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »
Henry

OK munch away:  Tom Doak in Confidential Guide "Most memorable stretch: 9th through 11th, three very different two-shotters"

Mark Chalfant out there too?

12th is nice driveable par 4 which uses that natural depression very nicely as the driving hazard.  The 13th goes over some lovely lumpy terrain and the green is a beauty.  I agree that the 14th is a bit blah but, yes, the 15th is very strong, another super green with some seriously deep traps.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:49:09 PM by Paul_Turner »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
Ian

Any idea what the changes might involve?

henrye

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
10th is one of the best holes at Toronto.

The collection of fours are all exceptional from number five through to 18.

OK guys, what am I missing?  I've played there at least 25 times.  Short par 4 with no real trouble.  Blast away or lay up - doesn't matter.  If you like the look of the wave in the fairway - great, but it sure doesn't impact play.  I used to be fond of the hole prior to the pond.  If you hit it over on your 2nd shot, the recovery was very tough, because the hill behind was very steep and high.  It's changed for the worse.  Maybe you guys get all excited after grabbing refreshments out of the cooler next to the tee box?

Henry

OK munch away:  Tom Doak in Confidential Guide "Most memorable stretch: 9th through 11th, three very different two-shotters"

I would agree that they are memorable and play differently.  10 looks quirky with the wave in the downhill/uphill fairway.  11's green 3 quarters of the way up the hill is good (tee shot is the worst).  BTW, I wonder how many times TD has been there?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back