News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Old Head, Howling Gales, +8's and PAMPAS GRASS
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »
I guess the US Tour is rained off again today. Does no-one ever check the weather stats???? ;D

Setanta, in place of top quality golf, just gave us the 'Old Head Cleveland Invitational' or something.

This was my first view of the course (in TV terms, Patrick) and it looked, well, sort of, okay-ish.

What really upset me was a huge long drift of chuffin' Pampas Grass on one of the holes. Pathetic, really and a bit sad. What possesses greenkeepers to plant the damn thing on a LINKS golf course, fercrissakes?

The three chaps who made the play-off scored 8-over to get there. Eye-wateringly difficult wind conditions coupled with some pretty dodgy looking greens surfaces combined to embarass some of our finest pro-golfers. Boo-hoo.

Any GCAers remember playing it and seeing the noxious weed?

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

CJ Carder

Re: Old Head, Howling Gales, +8's and PAMPAS GRASS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »
I'm just going out on a limb, but you guys across the pond did get the memo that the tournament this week starts on Friday, didn't you?   :)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »
CJC,
I am a stupid!

Nonetheless!, it provided a fine opportunity to once again bemoan the parlous state of British/IRISH(!) greenkeeping.

I present for your delectation:

Cortaderia selloana
There's even a cultivar called 'SUNNINGDALE Silver'.

Well, call me a gaucho and  trip me up with a bolass made of Haskells...

Aarrrgghhh!
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:21:42 PM »
Martin

I’ll have a pint of Old Head please.

Howling Gales sounds interesting, +8’s more of a challenge, encouraging you to down at least 8, but I’ll pass on a pint of Pampas Grass sounds a bit weak and rather sharp for my taste.

You been back in the Bar at St Michaels again contemplating another round of the 9 new & 9 old holes? Need some fortification prior to facing the 9 new? My suggestion would be down 9 pints of the +8’s then play the course again.

Sounds like a selection of good old fashion beers.

Melvyn

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:35:47 PM »
I believe this thread proves Churchill's remark, "two nations divided by a common language" to be true. I read this thread and I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about. For starters, is Old Head the golf course, something one drinks or something else entirely?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:54:43 PM »
One thing for sure, young Martin has definitely been at the Bar!

Cheers,
Unka Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back