News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Who Said This About Donald Ross?
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:14:16 AM »
"I'm not a great Ross fan; I don't think it's good that a decent shot can be ejected form the green."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:18:48 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Gavrich

Re: Who Said This About Donald Ross?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:22:12 AM »
Couldn't one argue that it couldn't have been a decent shot if it was ejected from the green?  That Ross's standards were higher for players?

Sounds like an older quote.  RTJ Sr.?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:03:10 AM »
"I'm not a great Ross fan; I don't think it's good that a decent shot can be ejected form the green."

me
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:05:30 AM »
The bi-penultimate tyop would suggest me, but I would never have said that, having always thought that Pinehurst #2 was an anomaly in Ross' portfolio.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »
Nicklaus?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
New Hillbilly Tour member John Kirk.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
Obviously someone lacking the approaching shot skills required.
Decent shots will usually get you bogey or worse at great courses in the US. VG to great is required for most of these courses to make par, let alone birdie.
I heard this some years back when I first played CD, and I think it holds true on top rated courses.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »

Was it Wayne Morrison? ;)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »
P2 is an different type of Ross course.

Interesting concept of a "decent shot".  For whom and for what course?

Certainly decent is different for a Tour Player and even good am, not to mention the hack.

Can "decent" be a moving target from course to course?  What's wrong with certain courses racheting up the level of "decency" needed to hold greens, just like OH did for putting at the recent PGA?

That said, I wouldn't want to play too many P2 courses. I'm just not good enough.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

hhuffines

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »
Would it be the writer/editor from Golf named Pepper?  He seems to hate old #2.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
Robert Trent Jones II in a recent Golf World magazine interview.  Tim's close.

The quote was preceeded by:  "My father was my mentor.  He would point out to me a lot of things, like that Donald Ross's courses had crowned greens for drainage not architectural reasons."

Some really quirky comments in the article, including an off-the-cuff suggestion that Harry Colt designed Pine Valley (here we go again).  I can't find a link to the article and in fairness to the publisher won't recreate it in bulk.  Notwithstanding Ballyneal he takes credit for first creating ribbon tees that are not flat at Chambers Bay. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
Mike,

I have personally heard RTJII speak of non level tees dating back at least 3 or 4 years.  I don't know the time line of Ballyneal but RTJ may have a legit claim to the idea.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:30 PM »

The quote was preceeded by:  "My father was my mentor.  He would point out to me a lot of things, like that Donald Ross's courses had crowned greens for drainage not architectural reasons."
Mike

Since when has drainage not been an architectural feature?  Besides, were crowned greens really a Ross trademark? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
Jeff Brauer:

I think if history can be served that Jay Blasi probably got the idea for the ribbon tees that aren't flat from the 12th tee at Pacific Dunes, which their whole crew visited early on in the Chambers Bay project.  Of course, Bobby has never been to Pacific Dunes or to Ballyneal, so he can claim it's his own idea.

I don't claim it's our idea ... I have seen unlevel tees in many places across the world since I started traveling.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »
Tom,

I heard Bobby propose that idea at the ASGCA meeting of May 2003.  Does that fit with your time frame of being after his crew's visit to PD during Chambers Bay?

Either way, I don't think its a new idea, either from the very old courses, or new ones built not very well....... ;D But, he proposed unlevel teeing grounds and not using tees as a way to offset distance increases and bring back skill.  Again, I couldn't know for sure whether they were original ideas, and upon reflection, would say they at least had genesis elsewhere.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »

Must have been Pat Mucci  ;D oh no probably Tommy Paul ;D but more likely John Daly ;) :D ;D
Best
Dave

Dave_Miller

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 07:25:52 PM »

Since when has drainage not been an architectural feature?  Besides, were crowned greens really a Ross trademark? 

Ciao

Sean
Good point!  Ask Tom Paul to tell the story of how Pinehurst No.2 got crowned greens. It was after Ross was dead and buried in Newton, MA.
Best
Dave

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »

Ciao

Sean
Good point!  Ask Tom Paul to tell the story of how Pinehurst No.2 got crowned greens. It was after Ross was dead and buried in Newton, MA.
Best
Dave

Topdressing, no? I seem remember Klein telling me that this reputation of Ross having these extremely crowned greens by design is a myth.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back