News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re: Why do we go easy on MacDonald and Raynor?
« Reply #400 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
I am only about 10% invested in this thread, so if this comment is out of context, I apologize...but...

As to the "IDEA" of NGLA (Shinnecock as referred to in the article Wayne posted), it seems wholly logical to me that just the idea alone would be enough to inspire others, anywhere in the world, to study and learn about these concepts that CBM deemed so important.

The fact that CBM was such an influential presence in the world of golf at the time is obviously a huge contributor to my belief that HIS idea could have a profound effect on others prior to his idea being formalized in the ground...why would HE consider this or that so important?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #401 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
C'mon David...the original Chicago Golf Club sucked eggs.   It's been used a a point of humor throughout golf architecture history to point out how Macdonald routed the course to favor his ball flight, and it's almost as stellar a routing as his work later at Shinnecock, which was somewhere between unimaginative and abysmal.

I'm sorry, but let's at least try to have a little bit of objectivity on some of these matters.

DMoriarty

« Reply #402 on: September 04, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »
C'mon David...the original Chicago Golf Club sucked eggs.   It's been used a a point of humor throughout golf architecture history to point out how Macdonald routed the course to favor his ball flight, and it's almost as stellar a routing as his work later at Shinnecock, which was somewhere between unimaginative and abysmal.

I'm sorry, but let's at least try to have a little bit of objectivity on some of these matters.

Mike,

I did not offer any opinion on its quality, but noted that Leeds was not a decade ahead of Macdonald when it came to designing golf courses.   

In 1895 Chicago had what was considered to be a very good golf course, compared to what else was else existed in the United States at the time.
The current golf course at Myopia did not exist at this point, did it?  What was Myopia ike in 1899?  Comparing Myopia, 1899,  to Chicago Golf Club, same year, was Leeds was years ahead Macdonald?   I don't think so, but I'd love to hear how you or anyone else could support such a claim.

Do you really think at that point, compared to what else was around at the time, that Chicago Golf Club "sucked eggs?"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:11:19 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #403 on: September 04, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »
David,

I will say this.   

I'm glad we're talking and debating now, instead of insulting.

We're also SHARING, which I think is a great step forward.   I appreciate you putting out the stuff about NGLA in 1909 as it was something I'd never come across before.

Thank you.

Now, back to life and death issues.

Chicago Golf Club was historic, no doubt, but by 1905 Myopia and Garden City were the best courses in the country by quite a long stretch, having leap-frogged most of what was originally built by a mile or two.

Macdonald then upped the ante with NGLA, and pulled it off.   

That's why I was trying to nail down more precisely WHEN that took place, because it's been vague in most written accounts, and seemingly over a much more extended period than I previously believed.

By the way, since I don't want to corrupt the Cobb's thread with our ongoing religious war, our records indicate that Ab Smith likely did the yeoman's work through the building process.   One account talks about Hugh Wilson spending six months on the project, but Ab Smith seemed to spend almost all of his free time at the site during construction and really stayed with the whole idea of public golf throughout his entire lifetime.

He also designed Philadelphia's second public course  (Karakung) and also did work on Juniata, which opened in 1927, as well.

If anyone other than Robert Lesley or Clarence Geist, or Ellis Gimbel, or the other GAP fathers could be called the "Father of Philadelphia Public golf", that man would surely be Ab Smith...the first Philly Amateur champion in 1897 who repeated in 1911.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
JES II,

With MacDonald  having helped create the USGA in 1894 and winning the US Amateur in 1895, and with golf being epicentered in the East, he was certainly an important figure, and ANYTHING he did would be on almost anyone in the golf world's radar screen.

As to Mike Cirba's comment that the Chicago Golf Club sucked, quite the opposite is true.

One must evaluate the course/s opened in 1893/5 in the context of what other courses existed on those dates.

Leeds didn't build Myopia until 1896 & 1901.

GCGC's recognized date of establishment is 1899, although some attribute Emmet's completion date as 1901, with Travis's dates as 1916.

In the early 1890's most golf courses were crude designs, layed out randomly.  There were few, if any outstanding golf courses in the U.S. in 1892-3.

One has to understand how the original Chicago Golf Club got started, the land it occupied, MacDonald's reluctance to design it, his dissatisfaction with the finished product and his desire to create another golf course in another location, later determined to be in Wheaton.

Mike Cirba's agenda driven, presumptive conclusions aren't borne out by contemporary reports, which are important when trying to ascertain context.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2008, 09:42:13 PM »
Patrick,

When Chicago Golf Club was built, where do you think it stood among the greatest courses in the world?   Perhaps the 397th best course in the British Isles?

Comparing it against the greatest courses in the US is hardly a measurement as it's agreed that there were no golf courses in the US at that time worth a snot's worth of spit.

DMoriarty

« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
Mike, I don't want to corrupt this or any other thread with your religous war, so I'll discuss Cobb's on the Cobb's thread.

I am not so sure whether Myopia and Garden City were better than Chicago by "a long ways" in 1905.   Travis hadn't made his changes at Garden City.   And many changes were in store for Myopia after 1905, including the addition, by one report of 100 bunkers.   Plus, by  1905 Macdonald was already writing about his plans.

But it is beside the point.   All I said is that Leeds was not a decade ahead of Macdonald in 1909.   Surely you agree with this?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »

Why do we go easy on MacDonald and Raynor?  Well, there are several reasons, more than I care to go into here.  But golf is a sport, something most people do for enjoyment, and the one overriding quality of MacDonald/Raynor is that they are really fun to play.  Game, set, match MacDonald/Raynor!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Lehman, et. al.,

Isn't that the ULTIMATE test of architectural merit ?

The desire, when walking off the 18th green to go straight back to the 1st tee, to play another round ?

If that, and the test of time are the ultimate determiners of architectural worthiness, then don't CBM's-SR's & CB's courses meet those criteria ?

Isn't the combination of challenge and fun the real barometer of greatness ?

I submit that the products of CBM-SR-CB present that combination to the golfer.

wsmorrison

« Reply #408 on: September 04, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »

The desire, when walking off the 18th green to go straight back to the 1st tee, to play another round ?

If that, and the test of time are the ultimate determiners of architectural worthiness, then don't CBM's-SR's & CB's courses meet those criteria ?

Pat, you'll just have to accept the fact that it isn't the case for every golfer.  No golf architect, let alone two that are so narrowly defined, can have universal acceptance.  For me, none of the Raynor or Banks course that I've played to date pass the relatively low threshold of the Mucci Test.  Of the Macdonald courses I've played, I've only felt that way about NGLA and Creek Club.  Sorry, it has nothing to do with Flynn.  That's how I feel.  I haven't played or seen Fisher's Island so I remain open minded that there may be one that I'll feel that way about.

DMoriarty

« Reply #409 on: September 04, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
Pat, you'll just have to accept the fact that it isn't the case for every golfer.  No golf architect, let alone two that are so narrowly defined, can have universal acceptance.  For me, none of the Raynor or Banks course that I've played to date pass the relatively low threshold of the Mucci Test.  Of the Macdonald courses I've played, I've only felt that way about NGLA and Creek Club.  Sorry, it has nothing to do with Flynn.  That's how I feel.  I haven't played or seen Fisher's Island so I remain open minded that there may be one that I'll feel that way about.

What do you mean by "narrowly defined?"   And who is doing the defining?   Most architects had a relatively narrow range when it came to the bones of their golf courses and holes.  Some of Macdonald's and Raynor's favorites just happened to be striking and named. 

Most designers cannot even make it through nine or eighteen before they start repeating their ideas.   Do you agree that with Macdonald you at least get 18 holes that are unique relative to each other? 

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
Patrick,

When Chicago Golf Club was built, where do you think it stood among the greatest courses in the world?   Perhaps the 397th best course in the British Isles?

Comparing it against the greatest courses in the US is hardly a measurement as it's agreed that there were no golf courses in the US at that time worth a snot's worth of spit.

Mike
I think you are having difficulty keeping things in perspective, your desire to degrade Macdonald is getting the best of you. You can not compare a golf course of the 1890s with the golf courses of the 20s or later. Despite its demerits Chicago GC hosted the 1897 US Open, the 1897 US Am and the 1900 US Open, thats not bad for an abysmal design. Evidently it was one of the best of the worst.

Relatively speaking Chicago GC was considered one of the better courses in the US, lets give Macdonald some credit, not only for producing CGC in the mid-90s, one of the best courses in America at the time, but also stimulating the development of golf architecture in the decades that followed.

By the way Myopia hosted the 1898, 1901, 1905 and 1908 US Opens. The 1898 was played over the original nine-hole course designed by Willie Campbell. Chicago GC hosted the 1905, 1909 and 1912 US Am and the 1911 US Open. With all due respect to Myopia, Chicago was well thought of too.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:24:11 PM by Tom MacWood »

Sean_A

« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2008, 03:56:39 AM »
Patrick,

Mike
I think you are having difficulty keeping things in perspective, your desire to degrade Macdonald is getting the best of you. You can not compare a golf course of the 1890s with the golf courses of the 20s or later. Despite its demerits Chicago GC hosted the 1897 US Open, the 1897 US Am and the 1900 US Open, thats not bad for an abysmal design. Evidently it was one of the best of the worst.

Relatively speaking Chicago GC was considered one of the better courses in the US, lets give Macdonald some credit, not only for producing CGC in the mid-90s, one of the best courses in America at the time, but also stimulating the development of golf architecture in the decades that followed.

By the way Myopia hosted the 1898, 1901, 1905 and 1908 US Opens. The 1898 was played over the original nine-hole course designed by Willie Campbell. Chicago GC hosted the 1905, 1909 and 1912 US Am and the 1911 US Open. With all due respect to Myopia, Chicago was well thought of too.

Tommy Mac

Jeepers, talk about mincing words.  It was pointed out that being the best of a bad lot isn't necessarily a compliment.  From what I remember, even CBM was disappointed with Chicago.  What does it matter if Chicago were the best course in the US in 1895 or whatever?  The pickings were slim and I think you know this to be the case - so knock off the nonsense - its well past its sell by date. 

Furthermore, you continually go on about Mike C attempting to downgrade CBM.  Why?  What is the point of this when all have admitted that CBM was a huge figure in the game and worthy of praise?  I fear this all about sideways carping about Merion.  So you lot disagree over who CBM's contribution to Merion.  So what, let it go, it doesn't matter much especially considering  Merion changed dramatically in later years. 

Pat M

The ultimate test of greatness for you may be the desire to wlal back to the 1st tee after a game, but it ain't for me. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2008, 05:32:53 AM »
Patrick,

Which course, the original which was merely a concession to a request, on a poor piece of property, or the course in Wheaton ?

Secondly, If Chicago was # 397, it was probably the highest ranking American course in the world at the time.

The issue has nothing to do with World ranking.
The issue is solely in the context of American courses and American rankings.

You continue to conveniently ignore the evolutionary history of The CGC.  The initial design was done as a favor on land ill suited for a golf course, hence one must view the Chicago Golf Club in the context of its Wheaton location, not the original Downer's Grove location.

Of course it's a valid measurement of the golf course's merit.
You compare it to its peers.

You cite Myopia and GCGC as leap frogging Chicago in 1905.
Does that mean that they ranked 395 and 396 on your world scale ?

The Chicago Golf Club in 1895 was probably the finest golf course in the U.S. despite your misguided assessment.

And, the man who designed it was .......MacDonald, who was evidently far ahead of Leeds and Emmet, the two men responsible for Myopia and GCGC.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:13 AM »

Pat, you'll just have to accept the fact that it isn't the case for every golfer.

Then, WHAT IS ?

No golf architect, let alone two that are so narrowly defined, can have universal acceptance. 

Why not ?

For me, none of the Raynor or Banks course that I've played to date pass the relatively low threshold of the Mucci Test. 

"Relatively low threshold" ?

When the challenge and the fun of playing the golf course are combined to the degree that the golfer wants to immediately replay the golf course, that's the ultimate test.

That's where the rubber meets the road.

You can analyze the routing, each hole and every individual feature and formulate your opinion, but, the ultimate opinion lies within the golfer's desire to immediately replay the golf course because of the combination of the challenge and the fun, and not through an intellectual exercise.

What's your ultimate test for determining the merits of a golf course ?

Of the Macdonald courses I've played, I've only felt that way about NGLA and Creek Club. 

I find it interesting that you didn't feel that way about Yale.
On the other hand, some find Yale a difficult walk due to the terrain.
And, Yale when you played it was probably quite different from Yale when CBM designed it.

The 2nd and 3rd holes are radically different, # 5 diluted, with the overall quality of the Bunkers compromised and conditions poor for many years, I can't say that I'm surprised.

When I first played Yale I felt that it could be a world class golf course IF the resources were committed to maintain and restore the golf course.

We're all aware of Geoff Child's efforts in that regard.

But, if you understand the site and what it took to build the golf course, your appreciation for its merits should grow.

I can't comment on St Louis because I've never played it.

Sorry, it has nothing to do with Flynn.  That's how I feel.  I haven't played or seen Fisher's Island so I remain open minded that there may be one that I'll feel that way about.

You just told me that you felt that way about NGLA and The Creek, and now you contradict yourself and say that there "may be one that I'll feel that way about."  Which is it ? ;D

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:01:17 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2008, 06:03:19 AM »

The ultimate test of greatness for you may be the desire to wlal back to the 1st tee after a game, but it ain't for me. 

Then, what's the ultimate test of greatness for you ?

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »

Tommy Mac

Jeepers, talk about mincing words.  It was pointed out that being the best of a bad lot isn't necessarily a compliment.  From what I remember, even CBM was disappointed with Chicago.  What does it matter if Chicago were the best course in the US in 1895 or whatever?  The pickings were slim and I think you know this to be the case - so knock off the nonsense - its well past its sell by date. 

Furthermore, you continually go on about Mike C attempting to downgrade CBM.  Why?  What is the point of this when all have admitted that CBM was a huge figure in the game and worthy of praise?  I fear this all about sideways carping about Merion.  So you lot disagree over who CBM's contribution to Merion.  So what, let it go, it doesn't matter much especially considering  Merion changed dramatically in later years. 

Sean
When did Macdonald say he was disapointed with Chicago?

Everything is relative. As Hutchinson wrote you should not criticize a man for not being ahead of his time. And acctually in this case I think you can make the case he was ahead of his time despite the blemishes relative to our current standard.

Chicago was one of the first courses built in this country. It was also one of the three or four best courses in the country in the ensuing years. To claim Leeds was ten years ahead of Macdonald is historically inaccurate (on several fronts). It appears they would prefer to ignore or write Chicago out of the history books. Chicago hosted seven major championships from 1895 to 1912 (nine if you count the Western Am). And I count eight of the holes from that early course being largely intact today - thats pretty good. Lets give credit where credit is due, realtive to the period in question.

Have you been following Mike's CBM & HH Barker campaign? Thats very good question about why...it doesn't make any sense to me either. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that by denigrating one man (or two men in this case) you can elevate another.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:37:07 AM by Tom MacWood »

wsmorrison

« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2008, 07:31:57 AM »
Pat, you'll just have to accept the fact that it isn't the case for every golfer.

Then, WHAT IS ?

I mean that every golfer does not think that Raynor and Banks are among the very greatest architects and that their courses are not considered among the most innovative and foremost courses.  

No golf architect, let alone two that are so narrowly defined, can have universal acceptance.

Why not ?

Though is should be apparent, I guess I'll have to explain it.  Because they use many of the same hole concepts on each course, if one doesn't appreciate that fact, it would be difficult for the remainder of the course to overcome that perceived flaw.  If one doesn't like geometric forms on the greens, in the fairway lines and in the bunker shapes, by definition, there wouldn't be universal acceptance.

For me, none of the Raynor or Banks course that I've played to date pass the relatively low threshold of the Mucci Test.

"Relatively low threshold" ?

When the challenge and the fun of playing the golf course are combined to the degree that the golfer wants to immediately replay the golf course, that's the ultimate test.

I shouldn't have said low threshold, it is rather more a simple test, easily understood.  As you said,

You can analyze the routing, each hole and every individual feature and formulate your opinion, but, the ultimate opinion lies within the golfer's desire to immediately replay the golf course because of the combination of the challenge and the fun, and not through an intellectual exercise.

It is a simple and effective way to consider how one feels about a golf course.  It is not how I feel about any Raynor and Banks courses I've played to date.  I have only felt that way on two Macdonald courses, NGLA and Creek Club.

That's where the rubber meets the road.

I thought that was Goodyear.

Of the Macdonald courses I've played, I've only felt that way about NGLA and Creek Club.

I find it interesting that you didn't feel that way about Yale.
On the other hand, some find Yale a difficult walk due to the terrain.
And, Yale when you played it was probably quite different from Yale when CBM designed it.

The 2nd and 3rd holes are radically different, # 5 diluted, with the overall quality of the Bunkers compromised and conditions poor for many years, I can't say that I'm surprised.

When I first played Yale I felt that it could be a world class golf course IF the resources were committed to maintain and restore the golf course.

We're all aware of Geoff Child's efforts in that regard.

You and I differ on our opinions of Yale.  I played it two years ago.  I can look at a golf course and see past the conditions and consider the architecture.  I can also determine what is Rulewich, especially when I am lucky enough to be out there with Geoff.

But, if you understand the site and what it took to build the golf course, your appreciation for its merits should grow.

Oh, but I can and did.  Especially after my study with Flynn.  If one can understand the design, engineering and construction of courses like Cascades and Indian Creek, both feats more difficult than Yale in their own differing ways, I think it is easy enough to imagine the same sort of work that went into the design and building of Yale.  I take it into account and it is but one reason why I consider Yale a notch below NGLA and Creek Club in my eyes and well ahead of all the others.

Sorry, it has nothing to do with Flynn.  That's how I feel.  I haven't played or seen Fisher's Island so I remain open minded that there may be one that I'll feel that way about.

You just told me that you felt that way about NGLA and The Creek, and now you contradict yourself and say that there "may be one that I'll feel that way about."  Which is it ?

Come on, Pat.  What is the matter with you?  This should be easy.  NGLA and Creek Club are Macdonald designs.  Fisher's Island is a Raynor design.  If I ever get to FI and regard it the way it is almost universally regarded, then that will be the ONE Raynor course that for me would pass the Mucci Test.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:36:02 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »
Tom,

Philadelphia Cricket Club hosted US Opens in 1907 and 1910 and truth be told, it wasn't a very good golf course, even by Philadelphia standards of the time, much less world standards.

Hosting had more to do with connections at the highest levels of the USGA than quality of golf course.

I have to chuckle that you think I'm running a "campaign".   Actually, I'd say it's an "anti-campaign", which is simply a reaction to your attempts to elevate Macdonald and WHigham as the only two people who knew anything about golf course design by 1910, and having failed to prove that, your subsequent attempts to elevate first Barker, then Campbell, and then Pickering, and then anyone else but anyone from Philadelphia, especially as regards Merion.

Calling you out on the facts and questioning your interpretation of them is hardly a campaign.   For instance, in the case of Barker, I really wish that you had produced something...anything...to bolster your claim (communicated by David) that he was probably the 2nd finest (of course, nobody could top Macdonald!) golf course architect in the world by June 1910.

Of course, I'm still waiting to see which course(s) of his actually was built on the ground and opened for play in 1910.   THere weren't any.

In the case of Macdonald, you guys were so sure you had the ace card with the Macdonald letter to Merion, which almost certainly had to contain some secret routing filled with his unique genius heretofore unknown to the ages.

When the letter turned out to be Farmers Almanac tips of agronomic advice and an Idiot's Guide to Architecture 101 on how to lay out a hypothetical 6000 yard sporty course, you guys had to move onto alternative scenarios...

Anything...anything...to avoid giving due credit to Hugh Wilson and the Committee.   ::)   Can you tell us why you're running such a campaign to discredit Wilson, Tom?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:37:50 AM by MikeCirba »

wsmorrison

« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:42 AM »
There seems to be a prevailing attitude that by denigrating one man (or two men in this case) you can elevate another.

You are a fool, Tom MacWood.  You initiated this prevailing attitude, so please don't condemn it in others, even though that is not really what they are doing.  You simply perceive it that way.

The denigration of one man or committee in order to elevate another is precisely the method used to promote the missing faces of Macdonald and Whigham in the Merion essay by your protege with your assistance.  By trying to use the probable but not proven fact that Wilson did not go overseas until after course construction and other "evidence" you conducted a process to portray Wilson and his Committee as rank amateurs incapable of doing what they did, completely dismissing their talents, the prior experience of other gentleman architects (Fownes, Leeds and Macdonald).  You both ignored, despite my protestations, the considerable help of Fred Pickering, one of the most experienced golf course construction men in the world at that time.   All this to prove that only the great and powerful Macdonald and Whigham routed, designed and were the driving forces behind the new Ardmore course for Merion Cricket Club.  This isn't to say that Macdonald and Whigham didn't provide valuable assistance.  They did and were credited with exactly that by the participants.  That wasn't good enough for you, you thought the club minimized their contributions.  Well, they got it right and you got it wrong.  Where are your endorsers now?  Is Ran still standing behind that "excellent" essay?  Is Pat Mucci?  You and your protege are left standing unprotected against a very strong wind.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:35:13 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Sean_A

« Reply #419 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »

Then, what's the ultimate test of greatness for you ?

Pat

I don't have an ultimate test for greatness.  Even if I tried to come up with one, I would likely have to alter it.  Lets put it this way, I know greatness when I see.  That may take me one look or dozen, but if a course is great, I will see it sooner or later.  Part of the problem with going back to the first tee for me is that many great courses aren't the sort I really want to play very often.  I can readily concede a course is great, but that I don't have any great affection for it.  My ideas of what make up my favourite courses don't necessarily make them great ones. 

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:27:46 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »
Mike
Everything is relative. I'm sure at the time Philadelphia CC was considered one of the best courses in Philly, but I'm not sure what PCC has to do with Chicago. Wheaton was mentioned in the same breath with Myopia, GCGC and few others as being one of handful of the best courses in America. Philadelphia was not. No one is claiming Wheaton was better than Myopia, even Macdonald would admit that, but lets give credit where credit is due. Chicago was one of the best golf courses in the country.

Be honest, ever since Macdonald & Whigham and Barker were introduced prominantly into the Merion picture you have been on a campaign to bring them down. For whatever reason you see them as a threat to the Wilson legend. You've tried to  make the case Macdonald couldn't have had an influence because he had not done anything, and Barker was nothing more than 18-stakes on a Sunday afternoon.

Who is arguing that M&W were the only two people that knew anything about golf architecture? We are simply trying to defend them against your historcially inaccurate attacks. Anyone with the slightest bit of objectivity would conpliment Merion for engaging them, and the same with Barker.

And as far as Barker is concerned I was signing his praises long before it became known he was involved at Merion. My appreciation for his work comes honestly. Go back and search and you will find several threads on the good fellow. I've presented what I believe is an impressive list of his accomplishments in relatively short period, your only response has been to try to question his involvement in these courses (unsuccessfully I might add) and to claim he was nothing more than slam-bam-thank-you-mam specialist (without any evidence I might add). Mayfield, Columbia, Druid Hills, Arcola, Raritan Valley, Grove Park Inn, Westhampton, Rumson and the redesign of GCGC with Travis is a pretty good resume. Who had a better resume between 1908 and 1914? Based upon the quality of the designs would a reasonable person conclude they were laid out in a single afternoon?

Your slash and burn style is getting old. Not only is it getting old, it is intellectually dishonest and lazy.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »
There seems to be a prevailing attitude that by denigrating one man (or two men in this case) you can elevate another.

You are a fool, Tom MacWood.  You initiated this prevailing attitude, so please don't condemn it in others, even though that is not really what they are doing.  You simply perceive it that way.

The denigration of one man or committee in order to elevate another is precisely the method used to promote the missing faces of Macdonald and Whigham in the Merion essay by your protege with your assistance.  By trying to use the probable but not proven fact that Wilson did not go overseas until after course construction and other "evidence" you conducted a process to portray Wilson and his Committee as rank amateurs incapable of doing what they did, completely dismissing their talents, the prior experience of other gentleman architects (Fownes, Leeds and Macdonald).  You both ignored, despite my protestations, the considerable help of Fred Pickering, one of the most experienced golf course construction men in the world at that time.   All this to prove that only the great and powerful Macdonald and Whigham routed, designed and were the driving forces behind the new Ardmore course for Merion Cricket Club. 

Wayne
You are as guilty as Mike when it comes to the slash and burn style of history writing and preserving your local legends. I know I've been subjected to it personally, and now we are seeing it again for old Pickering. It is unfortunate.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #422 on: September 05, 2008, 08:39:49 AM »
Tom MacWood,

Which courses of Barker's were built, open, and on the ground in June 1910 so that I can commend Mr. Connell (who brought Barker to his real estate in an attempt to sweeten the deal;  Merion did not engage Barker) on the wisdom of his choice?

How long did he spend at Merion?

Did he create a rough routing?

What evidence do you have that he spent longer than that at any course in the world where he wasn't employed as the club professional?

As far as Macdonald & Whigham..I have complimented Merion on the choice of bringing in the biggest name in golf to comment on the land they proposed buying and to help them pick the best of their five routings.

I think in a recent post I said that Macdonald was an awesome, tremendous, fantastic, prescient, great, god-like architect....I love the courses of Macdonald's I've played, as well as most of Raynor's and Banks.

I'm bettting I've played as much of them if not more than you have, Tom, and I've stated repeatedly that NGLA is sublime and I couldn't pick a better spot to die than Mid Ocean.

All of that being said, I'm going to continue to defend against your hedgemonistic attempts to give him credit for work he didn't do, as well as your odd, ongoing attempts to make those of us in Philadelphia look inaccurate in our history.  

If calling you out on these things, or asking for specifics is "slash and burn", then I'm really not sure what to call your attempts to rewrite history?  

Perhaps poke and hope??

wsmorrison

« Reply #423 on: September 05, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »
Poor Fred Pickering.  :-\ Poor Tom MacWood   :'(

Fred Pickering was not a good man.  His family is far more knowledgeable and understands it better than you.  Since when are you taking the position of protecting legends and not disclosing everything?  I didn't disclose everything I know.  But I'll tell you one thing, the Pickering descendent I've spoken to and the relatives of his that are coming down to see Merion (something you've never done) are unconcerned about protecting his image.  They lived with the consequences of his actions.  If they don't have a problem with it, why don't you get off your high horse before you fall.

Now again we have you reiterating your trite and incorrect conclusion about us protecting local legends.  The way I see it and the way everyone on this site must sees it by now, we are protecting the truth against your unsubstantiated revisions and house of cards theories that are easily debunked by historical documents.  

You are attempting to revise now with Wilson and previously with Crump.  As for Leeds and Myopia, I don't know.  I never studied their history.  As for Creek Club, I do have knowledge there, much of it courtesy of the club historian who you ask favors of but do not return when you come up with info.  You say you have a 1923/24 aerial showing sandy waste areas between 9 and 12 and around 13 and 14.   I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that.  In any case, the sandy waste areas and some of the bunkering in the lower holes today are by Flynn.  They were not there when he came onto the job and we have his payment records and the board minutes (a source you never research because you don't work with the clubs).  These features were in place when Flynn finished.  I asked Pat if he liked those features and he replied in the affirmative.  I then told him they were by Flynn and you claim they are not, that they were there in 1923/24.  Well, they weren't there in 1926.  So whatever is there today is by Flynn.  Macdonald left the club and Raynor had passed away.  Who else did it?  Willie Campbell?  HH Barker?  Fred Pickering?

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #424 on: September 05, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »
Tom MacWood,

Which courses of Barker's were built, open, and on the ground in June 1910 so that I can commend Mr. Connell (who brought Barker to his real estate in an attempt to sweeten the deal;  Merion did not engage Barker) on the wisdom of his choice?

How long did he spend at Merion?

Did he create a rough routing?

What evidence do you have that he spent longer than that at any course in the world where he wasn't employed as the club professional?

As far as Macdonald & Whigham..I have complimented Merion on the choice of bringing in the biggest name in golf to comment on the land they proposed buying and to help them pick the best of their five routings.

I think in a recent post I said that Macdonald was an awesome, tremendous, fantastic, prescient, great, god-like architect....I love the courses of Macdonald's I've played, as well as most of Raynor's and Banks.

I'm bettting I've played as much of them if not more than you have, Tom, and I've stated repeatedly that NGLA is sublime and I couldn't pick a better spot to die than Mid Ocean.

All of that being said, I'm going to continue to defend against your hedgemonistic attempts to give him credit for work he didn't do, as well as your odd, ongoing attempts to make those of us in Philadelphia look inaccurate in our history.  

If calling you out on these things, or asking for specifics is "slash and burn", then I'm really not sure what to call your attempts to rewrite history?  

Perhaps poke and hope??

Please don't ignore my questions before launching into a barrage of your own questions.

Mayfield, Columbia, Druid Hills, Arcola, Raritan Valley, Grove Park Inn, Westhampton, Rumson and the redesign of GCGC with Travis is a pretty good resume. Who had a better resume between 1908 and 1914? Based upon the quality of the designs would a reasonable person conclude they were laid out in a single afternoon?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back