News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

I found an article that stated that Arnold Palmer (probably his associates) is directing changes to the first 6 holes at Pebble Beach.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10259144?source=rss

"Palmer, 78, said they have added sand traps on holes 1 through 3 and have changed, or will change, traps on holes 4 and 6"

I am not sure that adding sand traps will make that much difference in the scoring unless they are very deep bunkers.

I am not sure where they could add sand traps to No. 6.

Jordan Wall

Re: Changes at Pebble Beach- Will they make a difference in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Scott,

The fairway trap on #6 did not look too good when I was there.  It was covered with 30 or so little bushes (call them what you like) and as such the bunker is due for some kind of changed.  It seemed really out of fit.  Change can only be good in regards to that bunker.

Cheers,
Jordan

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »
What on earth happened to the word "Bunker,"

Bob

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
Bob..
I agree...but what is even worse is when the idiots on the golf channel insist on using the word"track" when describing a golf course.
When I was growing up the word was only used to describe a less than adequate piece of real estate being used as a golf course!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »
"Palmer, 78, said they have added sand traps on holes 1 through 3 and have changed, or will change, traps on holes 4 and 6. He said the third hole is a perfect example of what he's hoping to achieve. With added bunkers on the hillside that faces the tee box, players have to decide whether to take a chance and cut the corner to the green or simply hit iron into the fairway. Gone are the days of being able to rip driver fearlessly off the tee, knowing that the hillside will stop any wayward shot."

I'm pretty sure that wasn't happening during those previous US Opens.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 07:37:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure Arnie didn't refer to them as sand traps, either.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:50:21 PM »
What a crock! The bunkers on the hillside on three will make the hole easier. Especially for a better player.

I wonder if these changes will raise them on Ran's list of Architectural blunders? They'd probably be excited for the higher ranking.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Weersing

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »
I have to give some credit to the Pebble Beach Co. At least they did not bring in Rees Jones to screw up another US Open layout.

Has the game changed that much since the 2000 Open? Yes but I think the variety in the greens will keep the course on the rotation.

Maybe the added the bunkers for the upcoming US Women's Open. (Just kidding)

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »
....bad moves strategically without much techno provocation.

I've about convinced myself that Pebble peaked in the late 70's, early 80's.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:03:12 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:06:08 AM »
I have to give some credit to the Pebble Beach Co. At least they did not bring in Rees Jones to screw up another US Open layout.

Has the game changed that much since the 2000 Open? Yes but I think the variety in the greens will keep the course on the rotation.

Maybe the added the bunkers for the upcoming US Women's Open. (Just kidding)

Scott,

I must ask the question. Have you ever studied a course pre a Rees Jones adjustment and thereafter? If so, do tell.

I witnessed one at the Dunes Course at MPCC  some eight years ago. He took one of Raynor/Hunter's earlier eforts at MPCC and turned it into a superb test of golf. This constant harping at Rees Jones is bullshit and I wonder how many of Raynor's efforts have been enjoyed by the Jones bashers.

Bob

TX Golf

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »
I'm not so sure I understand the need to make the course any "tougher" if that is what they are trying to accomplish. If it wasn't for the greatest 72 holes of golf ever played, the winning score would have been over par in the 2000 Open. Just a thought. Also, as we all know, the players would rather be in a bunker than four inch US Open rough.

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »
Go Bob....I agree.

Give us  your assessment if you don't mind of PB over the years untill now....I was there in the 70's and have first hand knowledge....but I value your perspective as much as mine....maybe more if you come up with something thats based on 3d experiences from real memory.

Not that mines that much shot...... it's just tending more towards fantasy. ::)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:27:23 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »
Actually, Bob, perhaps you could tell us how it played after MacKenzie's changes -- surely Paul is wrong and the course peaked in the 1920s!

Nick Church

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »
Long story made longer...

Before catching up with all the new posts at GCA, I happened to check Google Maps first thing this morning.  I happily discovered that their satellite image of Bayonet & Blackhorse had been updated to include the new renovations to Bayonet as well as the under construction look at Blackhorse's back nine.

That said... this thread inspired me to go back to Google Maps & look at Pebble Beach to see if the renovation work was captured, too.

Sure enough, the front nine image is updated.  As a matter of fact, you can see the line between updated images crosses the ninth fairway.  So number 10 is still the older satellite image.

Just thought I'd share.

Jed Peters

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »

I must ask the question. Have you ever studied a course pre a Rees Jones adjustment and thereafter? If so, do tell.

I witnessed one at the Dunes Course at MPCC  some eight years ago. He took one of Raynor/Hunter's earlier eforts at MPCC and turned it into a superb test of golf. This constant harping at Rees Jones is bullshit and I wonder how many of Raynor's efforts have been enjoyed by the Jones bashers.

Bob

But Bob--quick question.

Didn't/Doesn't Rees spend a bunch of time on-site and actually pour his heart/soul into that place? I mean, he did the actual work--didn't mail it in. Andy N. was telling me of the care that Rees puts into your club--how he does it all himself, and consults members like Andy on changes and what not--nevermind the fact that the club can't touch the course (really, from a design aspect) without his signoff?

The "extra care" that he spent at MPCC really shows--but I'm sure it's not what happens at some of Rees' other courses/projects that he takes on?

BVince

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
The "Rees" renovations I played were very nice and well done.  I don't see the beef.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

Bob

But Bob--quick question.

Didn't/Doesn't Rees spend a bunch of time on-site and actually pour his heart/soul into that place? I mean, he did the actual work--didn't mail it in. Andy N. was telling me of the care that Rees puts into your club--how he does it all himself, and consults members like Andy on changes and what not--nevermind the fact that the club can't touch the course (really, from a design aspect) without his signoff?

The "extra care" that he spent at MPCC really shows--but I'm sure it's not what happens at some of Rees' other courses/projects that he takes on?

Jed,

He most certainly spent a great deal and time on the job.

We have been fortunate to have two architects that didn't mail it in. Strantz lived in a house on the course and I saw him out there at all hours of the day and evening.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back