News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Why not design more par 3 holes with "multiple tee boxes"??
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:09:50 PM »
After seeing the thread on holes with 2 greens, I thought, why aren't there more par 3 holes with multiple tee box locations. You could really have 3 different holes without a ton of extra maintenance. Here is an example.

This tee box (1st pic) was the back tee and it was in the 9 o'clock position, the next two tee boxes were to the right in the 6 o'clock position (2nd pic, but a close up of green). This hole is number 6 at Sugarloaf the Old Course (formerly Sleeping Bear GC). With the additonal tee box, it increased difficulty and made a normally strraight forward hole not so straight forward. It was basically two totally different holes all together.

Assuming the routing and cart paths don't interfere, why don't you see more of this?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:24:16 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Moore II

Re: Why not design more par 3 holes with "multiple tee boxes"??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »
I would say a primary reason for this not happening, especially with real estate courses, is the lack of land available for such a tee box/hole configuration. Sometimes the land would not be available for a hole with multiple tee's. 6 at Tobacco Road is odd, and just sits on a funny corner of the property. 5 at Talamore has the double tees as well. Those are the only ones I can think of. I would say the reason for this is mostly the same as dual greens, the perceived cost (even though it doesn't really cost that much) turns people off from building them.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
Rich,

The 17th at Tetherow has a large number of tees that stretch across and into the back half of the quarry.

The hole probably changes by a combination of about 30 degrees and 30 feet of elevation depending on where the tees are set. The layout of the hole results is 3 distinct views depending on the angle of approach.

This is certainly not as drastic as you are suggesting, but does the trick of providing enough set ups to make the hole interesting over many rounds.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:39:02 PM »
The par 3 11th at St Andrews Beach Gunnamatta takes on a different complexion from each of the tees there. They provide a different angle of attack by somewhere in the order of 40 degrees I'd suspect.

A cool feature, and I agree, there should be a little more of it, if for no other reason, than to make it easier on the teeing grounds.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »
It seems like quite a few courses are going with the multiple tee boxes them, even if it only changes the angle by 20 degrees or so. Northstar Golf Resort outside Columbus, OH did this on all their par fours (John Cook design). Seems like quite a few courses in the desert have gone to this too.

Jim Briggs

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
If I remember correctly, the 14th at Doonbeg had multiple tee boxes that provided very different angles into the green.

Fortunately the wind was down when we got to the hole and I actually managed to hit the green...

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »
I would say a primary reason for this not happening, especially with real estate courses, is the lack of land available for such a tee box/hole configuration. Sometimes the land would not be available for a hole with multiple tee's. 6 at Tobacco Road is odd, and just sits on a funny corner of the property. 5 at Talamore has the double tees as well. Those are the only ones I can think of. I would say the reason for this is mostly the same as dual greens, the perceived cost (even though it doesn't really cost that much) turns people off from building them.

JKM,

This is the par 3 with the dual tee boxes at Talamore. I didn't even realize it until I was putting out on the green.

BTW, I pretty much hated Talamore.
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »
Rich-No worries about disliking Talamore. I don't work for them anymore. From the one time I made it over there (I worked at Mid South), it was certainly nothing special.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
Strantz at True Blue in South Carolina

http://www.fishclub.com/trueblue/hole3.cfm

and

http://www.fishclub.com/trueblue/hole11.cfm

Both holes feel as though tees are wrapped around the hazards.  Extremely well done.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »
Whoooopss...Not 11, but 14 at True Blue

http://www.fishclub.com/trueblue/hole14.cfm
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:29:10 PM »
Rich-No worries about disliking Talamore. I don't work for them anymore. From the one time I made it over there (I worked at Mid South), it was certainly nothing special.

It also probably didn't help Talamore that I played Tobacco Road the day prior and I loved TR.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back