News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Mid Ocean #7
« on: August 26, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
Why??? Can anyone explain the rationale for the horrendously ugly manner in which the hazard was bisected by... a... walkpath????

Honestly if anyone has background I would welcome the education. Struck me as very odd the first, second, third... well every time I played the course.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:04:26 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tom_Doak

Re: Mid Ocean #7
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
Greg:

I think (but am not certain) that the area in front of the green was just a bog when the course was built, and when they dug it into a formal pond later, they made sure to leave a straight-in walkway.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
Greg:

I think (but am not certain) that the area in front of the green was just a bog when the course was built, and when they dug it into a formal pond later, they made sure to leave a straight-in walkway.

Did they solicit or did you offer any advice/ideas for anything outside of the green complexes during your work there?

Would you leave that as is or change it?

DMoriarty

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »
Here is a photo of the 7th (misidentified as the 6th) from GI, 1923.  No path and a much different look overall.

I love the other photo as well.

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
Greg:

No, they didn't ask about that, and I didn't offer any advice.  Changing ponds generally requires permits (although perhaps not in Bermuda) so I usually don't bother making suggestions about them.  The main question the club asked me was what they had to change to get the course back among the elite courses of the world, and I told them it was all about getting the greens up to speed, that the course was just fine as it stands. 

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
Is there a recognizable Eden at Mid Ocean?  I remember this short, and of course the Biarritz along the way on the back and the Redan 17th, but don't remember an Eden.  Photos?

I played there in 1993, a long time before I read the bible by George Bahto!

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »
at least it's not paved, like the par 5 at Ekwanok!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back