News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Fowler

GCA Reality TV Show
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
When I saw JK's "Project Runway" thread, this is what I thought he might be proposing.  My disappointment at reading it caused me to start my own.

What do you think about the idea?  A developer puts up the land.  Famous (or not so famous) GCAs come in and propose their routings, design plans, turf choices, projected costs etc.  Maybe they could also come up with their overall vision and goals for the course, i.e. who it would attract, price range, walking v. riding, and maybe even a course name.  The developer (or voting viewers) choose the plan they like best and go from there.  The show could chronicle the project to completion.  TV producers might add a little more competition and drama to spice things up. 

The show would be free, prolonged advertisement for the course and the architects.  Sounds like a win-win.  Additionally, there would have to be more Golf Channel viewers willing to watch this than Big Break 17 -- Siberia. 

For the GCAs, would you participate?  For everyone else, would you watch?

John Kavanaugh

Re: GCA Reality TV Show
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
I'd watch if Gillette Silver was the host.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
...then again, it might be great fun to boot Huckaby off the island green.

I'd watch if Gillette Silver was the host.

A golfclubatlas.com reality show is a whole separate discussion, but that could be fun as well.  Surely there will be at least one waterfall in each show.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »
Anthony,  you should get the gig for director of program development for TGC.  Highway 18 might be the goofiest thing I've seen other than The Big Break - Mesquite.   Tommy "two gloves" Gainey in deed.  And you wonder where our new golf heros are coming from... I'm waitig for the first road crash of these idiots racing from course to course...  not that I watched it more than a minute.  ::)

Seriously, as I mentioned on another thread, I have been flogging the idea of some variation of a documentary of a golf course project from conception through construction and finish for some time.  Reality format or not... Or, a series like Ken Burns did on baseball, only for golf and GCA.  The photographic and historical possibilities are obvious, with a built in audience of millions of golfers.  

TGC must have a bunch of boobs developing their programming.   ::)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
Highway 18 might be the goofiest thing I've seen other than The Big Break - Mesquite.   Tommy "two gloves" Gainey in deed.  And you wonder where our new golf heros are coming from... I'm waitig for the first road crash of these idiots racing from course to course...  not that I watched it more than a minute.  ::)

Seriously, as I mentioned on another thread, I have been flogging the idea of some variation of a documentary of a golf course project from conception through construction and finish for some time.  Reality format or not... Or, a series like Ken Burns did on baseball, only for golf and GCA.  The photographic and historical possibilities are obvious, with a built in audience of millions of golfers. 

TGC must have a bunch of boobs developing their programming.   ::)

Well said RJ.  There is definitely a bigger GCA audience than TGC realizes or is competent enough to cater to.  A show devoted to architecture as you have described would be a lot of fun. 

I personally don't understand why they don't just run old majors as opposed to Big Break, Highway 18, etc.  They have to get more viewers and the marginal cost is 0.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »
TGC has an idea submission form that you can find on their website.  Go for it!  I sent one in awhile back and got a response within a couple of weeks. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
Anthony,

I suspect the idea sounds fantastic to most in here.....but most would be bored to tears.  Golf archicture is pretty far off the mainstream, even amongst golfers.  Didn't you know equipment and ripping it 3-hundry is all the rage!!   ;D

Not guys running around on dozers all day!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »
Kalen, if folks aren't interested in guys running around on dozers (or machines or physical work situations) all day;  how do you explain the reality work shows, like "Tougher in Alaska", "Ice Truckers", and I forget the exact name of the one showing big machines at work on the 'History Channel", with some original sort of name like, 'guys running around on dozers all day'!!!  ;) ;D ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »

Please.  You'd get booted WAY before me.  Not sure if I am wholly proud of this, however.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »
And, while we are at it, you know the potential hit show hybrid that could be a cross between "highway 18" and the reality show with that oddball personality KISS guy - Gene Simmons, and the intrepid Indiana Jones adventure series, along with reality work shows concept... called "Asphalt Jungle" featuring a Gene Simmons sort of personality running his paving company, crossing the country playing golf and provoking riots,     "Illiana Jakaby"!  

Michael

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »
A Ken Burns documentary of golf would be a winner...no doubt.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
Only if all designers involved have mics on at all times and we get to see the reactions as they learn of the competitions ideas for the same land! That being the case it is destined for HBO versus network TV!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »

Please.  You'd get booted WAY before me.  Not sure if I am wholly proud of this, however.

No way!  Once people found out that you don't pay off your beer bets, the whole village would turn on you and you'd be gone faster than Michelle Wie's confidence...

Pshaw again.  There is so much more I could reveal about you, it would take all you could muster to keep my silence.  The second I want you gone you are gone.

As for beer bets, one would think a man standing at a bar would claim such rather than accuse days later that such were not offered.   "Twas not only I who forgot that debt.

TH

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
I think the real reality show wouldn't be creating but tearing apart -- like the real estate shows where the handyman comes in to tear apart someone else's work.

The controversy here is so often over what someone did to an existing course. A show based on that would serve the double purpose of educating people about bad GCA and entertaining them with catty drama. ("Omigod. Did you SEE the bunkers he was shaping?")

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
I suppose you're right.  People do believe what they want far more than they want to hear the truth.  This site proves that on a daily basis.

THus off the island I am.

And I shall be quite happier for it.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
Kalen, if folks aren't interested in guys running around on dozers (or machines or physical work situations) all day;  how do you explain the reality work shows, like "Tougher in Alaska", "Ice Truckers", and I forget the exact name of the one showing big machines at work on the 'History Channel", with some original sort of name like, 'guys running around on dozers all day'!!!  ;) ;D ::)

RJ,

I tend to take a similar view that Shivas has already taken.  These shows are popular because of the "holy f....." knee jerk reation when they see guys that are nuts enough to be doing it....not cause running dozers are cool. 

Its a cousin to the "rubber-necking, this is a trainwreck, but I can't turn away" theorem.    ;)

That being said, make no mistake, I'd love to be a hot shot golf course architect.  With all the roadies, constant partying, and hot chicks I'd be scoring...itd be the next best thing to being Gene Simmons!!   ;D

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:47:36 AM »
I'm in without a doubt.  I'm even speechless about the possibilities.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back