News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

BUDA 2009
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:47:01 PM »
Gents,

Currently sorting dates with the clubs, the event is likely to be held in Mid September over the links of Deal, Sandwich and Princes.

Will update you asap.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Bourgeois

Re: BUDA 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »
Mark

Your efforts shall not go unnoticed.  Per the Coe Precedent, look for a KBE in the stocking next year.  Please do not forget to send a cashier's cheque for the necessary amount, and I will have a word with Stalin -- Flashy, too (contingency) --  to see the arrangements through.

The sooner you can get us dates the better.  My calendar is booked for Europe next October; however, September may be doable -- earlier the better if there's any flexibility.

Kind hearts and coronets
Mark

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »
June would be better for me (50th high school reunion in Northern California sometime in September) but I bow to the will of the organizers.  ;)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
Great news, this might just be my first GCA event. I'm not much of a flyer, but Kent is driveable from Germany :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
Great news, this might just be my first GCA event. I'm not much of a flyer, but Kent is driveable from Germany :)

Ulrich

Via the chunnel, or one of those scary ferries?  ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
Mark - September will be good... but, hopefully it will be early in September. I'm sure several of the overseas members will be in attendance... I know I will be there. Will this not reduce the overall cost to our "guests?"
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:28:29 AM »
Michael - Yes our guests will get "a result!"
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 05:26:54 AM »
Chappers

Very fine.  I like the move to the fall - good thinking.  On a personal note, I hope activities will take place over a weekend!

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 06:03:22 AM »
Well, one issue would be reduced daylight. On September 15th, for example, the sun would set at 7:15 PM, whereas in June that would be well after 9 PM.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »
Ulrich this event has previously been played as late as October and we have managed to squeeze in two rounds - so Sept should be no problem!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
Just please avoid the American PGA and the US Open and I may be able to make it.  Great choice of courses.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:33:39 AM »
Either June or September works for me.  Light shouldn't be too much of a problem in early September and I tend to think links courses are at their best later in the summer, when the June rough has settled down a bit.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
I vote for September, Chappers.  Great work, and please keep us in the loop as plans develop.

Rich
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:07:29 PM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
There has been some talk in the past (mostly by Andy Levett and me) of organising a mini-GCA get together in the North East of England.  We had hoped to pull this together this September but that's not going to happen now for various reasons but mostly my inertia.  If BUDA is to be in September next year then I now undertake to organise a GCA get together to celebrate the unsung courses of North East England next June (or early July - certainly before the schools break up).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Craig Disher

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
I have a slight preference for June but won't quibble if it's September, especially if Mark and Andy organize something in the NE. Next year could be quite good indeed.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
what airport should we fly into?  Is heathrow a waste of time on this one, or a requirement?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
what airport should we fly into?  Is heathrow a waste of time on this one, or a requirement?

Gatwick's closer to Kent.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »
There has been some talk in the past (mostly by Andy Levett and me) of organising a mini-GCA get together in the North East of England.  We had hoped to pull this together this September but that's not going to happen now for various reasons but mostly my inertia.  If BUDA is to be in September next year then I now undertake to organise a GCA get together to celebrate the unsung courses of North East England next June (or early July - certainly before the schools break up).

If the northern event could be, at least partly, over a weekend then I'm in for both.  roll on 2009.

Thanks guys.

PS Jay, Heathrow will only add 45 mins driving time and I'm betteing there'll be lots of Heathlands action later in the week so Heathrow might still be the best bet.  Once details of the main event are fixed just wait for the "extra's" to apear.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:46:24 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »
"throw out some names for the sweet heathlands action...where in particular.

I'm already getting psyched.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »
Heathrow will only add 45 mins driving time and I'm betteing there'll be lots of Heathlands action later in the week so Heathrow might still be the best bet.

Unless there are construction works on the M25.   :o :o ::)  Then it could add 2 hours to fly into Heathrow!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
"throw out some names for the sweet heathlands action...where in particular.

I'm already getting psyched.

Jay repeat after me

"Calm Down, Calm Down Dear" and you'll be a Winner.   (Very poor pun to help get you upto speed  ;))

None of the Surrey/Berkshire Heathland courses are more than 2 hrs from Deal.

(Once the planning gets serious let's not forget some of the hidden gems.  RAF http://www.golfclubatlas.com/royalashdown1.html , Pullborough http://www.golfclubatlas.com/westsussex1.html   and has anyone got the links to Philip’s excellent report from Hankley? To name just 3. )

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »
Heathrow will only add 45 mins driving time and I'm betteing there'll be lots of Heathlands action later in the week so Heathrow might still be the best bet.

Unless there are construction works on the M25.   :o :o ::)  Then it could add 2 hours to fly into Heathrow!

You are correct Bill, that's why we locals only go out on the M25 at night ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »

You are correct Bill, that's why we locals only go out on the M25 at night ;D

You're a braver man than I am, Gungha Din!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 04:59:37 AM »
Chappers

Thanks for all you are doing.  September would be workable for me, although I would appreciate firm dates asap.

My personal preference would be to hold the event on the same weekdays as this year, i.e. meet/pre Buda round Sunday; 2 rounds Monday & Tuesday; singles Wednesday morning.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Paul Nash

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 05:45:05 AM »
What exactly is BUDA? As a newbie I have never heard of it but would be keen on going to Kent (not played any of them) if there are spaces - and I live in the middle of heathlandville in Wokingham, Berks! Hankley is just the most amazing piece of heathland that I have ever seen and one of the most underrated courses in all ranking surveys - a far better track than anything at Wentworth or Walton Heath has to offer and much cheaper. The latter comment may prove controversial - Walton is a very nice course with excellent conditioning and great turf but, as far as rankings go, I thought it was as overrated as Hankley is underrated - the 2 courses squashed into quite a small site and some of the beautiful bunkers in very non-strategic settings too far away from the action!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back