News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Douglas Grant
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »
Douglas Grant was a prolific winner of the (Royal) Cinque Ports Golf Club club championship in the early 1920s.

Can anyone give me any information on this man - I am aware he was a joint designer of Pebble Beach but club lore states he assisted MacKenzie at Cypress Point, any information would be gratefully especially a photo.

Did he work on any other courses??
Cave Nil Vino

David Stamm

Re: Douglas Grant
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
Mark, Grant was a past California State Amateur Champion (1918) and was one of the best amateurs of his day. His father was one of the founders of Burlingame CC in 1893. Grant attended Yale, but was unable to complete his scholling due to a degenarative deafness. He won the No Cal Championship in 1907 and the Pacific Coast Amateur in 1909. He met his wife, Elsie, during his travels in the UK and played in various tournaments including reaching the semi's in the '21 Irish Open and well as competing in the British Amateur and the Open. When he returned to the California with Elsie he won the No Cal Amateur twice ('16 & '17 and the So Cal Amateur in '17. He died in a fire while alone in his home in Carmel on March 17, 1966. In my research I've never seen him associated with any other design, but that doesn't mean he didn't give advice during all his travels. Hope this helps. 
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:26:47 AM »
David - thank you very interesting.
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »
Interesting man, this Douglas Grant.  C&W have him dying in England in 1981 at age 95, David Stamm has him dying in Carmel in 1966, whilst the link below has him dying somewhere else in 1953.  What gives?

http://www.otway.com/family/471.html

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »
Richard The Curious:

Do you mean to tell me all these years you've been under the impression dying is some single event? It sounds to me like Grant was a man about the world and with that had at least three lifes. If that was the case his three deaths would be pretty logical----don't you know?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »
I checked today, he won the Deal club championship in 1914, 1920-1925 and 1927-1927. Not a bad record, I wonder if he left these shores during WWI and returned once hostilities ceased.
Cave Nil Vino

Jay Carstens

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »
Mark,
In my notes: Douglas S. (Douggie) Grant, born August 8, 1887 at Irvington, NY.  I hope that helps a little.
Jay
Play the course as you find it

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »
Chappers

In recent research I discovered that Douglas Grant won the West of England Amateur, annually held at Burnham, three years running from 1923-1925.  He was a member of Burnham and moved to England roughly around 1920ish.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 03:07:25 PM »
Thanks for your help guys I'll up date you on my research on my return from holiday.

Sean - He was a Deal member for a short period in the teens then through the 20's when he appears on winners boards off +3. He was also a Royal St Georges captain and appears to have been involved with a few clubs.

There is a great story from the declaration of war in 1939.........
Cave Nil Vino

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
If in fact Grant was at least partially responsible for Pebble Beach's routing, this may be his greatest achievement  :)
jeffmingay.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:38:15 AM »
Neil Hotelling, Historian, The Pebble Beach Co also records Grant as passing away in 1966.

Jeff - I have no knowledge of Grant being involved in the design of any other course.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back