News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

You can have double digits, I'll take single...
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Ridgewood looks like just the kind of course that will confound these guys over the weekend (let's hope the guys start bitching about it...) and scores will head north...

Anybody think you'll need 10 under to win?

What will be the greatest challenge to pars and birdies over Saturday and Sunday? Hitting fairways that twist and turn, forcing a particular shot shape (not always easy with these big heads and straight balls)? Or, making 5 - 10 foot putts that must be aimed well outside of the hole?

Dean Stokes

Re: You can have double digits, I'll take single...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »
I would take -10 to win the tournament. I have not seen enough of the course to explain the difficulties. It seems there is a mixed bag of long and short hitters at the top of the leaderboard. What does this all mean?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

JESII

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »
What does this all mean?

To me, these type of old style courses, when they are a bit firm, are extremely difficult to shoot 5 or 6 under par on...especially over the weekend when the hole typically shrink a bit for the guys that shoot low scores on Thursday and Friday.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:02:10 PM »
What does this all mean?

To me, these type of old style courses, when they are a bit firm, are extremely difficult to shoot 5 or 6 under par on...especially over the weekend when the hole typically shrink a bit for the guys that shoot low scores on Thursday and Friday.

The unfortunate thing is that, when they get a bit firm, the pros and announcers start calling for the course setup guy's head and label it goofy.

I'll take single digits as well, any and every day of the week. I often wonder how much different the golf world would look if most tournaments were setup to yield tough pars, as opposed to the barrage of weekly birdiefests by "these guys are good" golfers.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »
I, too, really like how the course plays and looks.

Not to thread-jack, but about the 5th -- is the challenge of that hole (for pros) dependent largely on pin position? Mickelsen and Harrington didn't have too much trouble with up-and-down birdies today (Lefty from a bunker, Paddy from rough) after both used driver. But the commentators, all of whom wondered about using driver there, also suggested a tougher pin might have led to a tougher up-and-down. Can a green that small have varied pin positions that lead to quite different (potential) outcomes?

What a neat hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back