News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Re: Golf Near Baltray/Dublin?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »
Thanks again for the ideas so far. We are booked for a round at Howth (James Braid--whose courses in Scotland we really enjoyed) on Sunday but it's very difficult to find a course open to visitors on a Saturday morning. Laytown, Seapoint say no. Has anyone played Ardee or Bellewstown, both near Drogheda?

It's proven very tough to find a course that will accommodate a visitor on a Saturday morning, so we are taking a tourist break  :o and headed to some ancient druid tombs at Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth. Has anyone visited them?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Deucie Bies

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
Played Portmarnock Links recently and can report it's the real deal, as is Arklow to the south.

Tony,

What did you like so much about Portmarnock?  I played it about 2 years ago and was highly unimpressed.  In fact, I haven't heard many great things about it other than the rankings.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »
Doug

I've been to Newgrange, it's very impressive, to be there on the winter solstice could be the highlight of a lifetime when the early morning light enters the chamber. Not too many get the chance. It's replicated on the tour and is still extraordinary.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 03:57:59 PM »
Newgrange is one of the most impressive places I have ever visited.  I recommend the book "Ireland" which is about an Irish storyteller. One of the stories is about the construction of newgrange.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:00:12 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
Played Portmarnock Links recently and can report it's the real deal, as is Arklow to the south.

Tony,

What did you like so much about Portmarnock?  I played it about 2 years ago and was highly unimpressed.  In fact, I haven't heard many great things about it other than the rankings.

Welcome Deucie, opinions are what this place is all about.

I’d ask you, what’s not to like?  It looks, plays and even "sounds" like a links course and I love the way you get this so close to Dublin city centre.

Many links start on flat ground but few of those move so convincingly into dunes where the best holes are.  Indeed after the 10th hole I forgot to take pictures I was just enjoying the course.

It’s definitely modern and it does remind me a bit of the European Club.  The scenery may not be as good but it’s a lot less severe than Ruddy’s courses and for me that’s a good thing. However you get flattish (machined?) fairways, some use of water and big greens that just sit there staring at you. I would personally like to see some given a more interesting shape and some microcontouring on the fairways forit to become a favorite.

I wouldn’t have given it that name as it invites comparisons but I’ll be returning to Dublin a lot in future and I look forward to playing it many more times.  I don’t claim it’s a classic but on one play I thought it rather good. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:57:44 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Deucie Bies

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »

Tony,

Welcome Deucie, opinions are what this place is all about. AGREED< THAT IS WHY THIS SITE IS SO ENJOYABLE.

I’d ask you, what’s not to like?  It looks, plays and even "sounds" like a links course and I love the way you get this so close to Dublin city centre. I AGREE THAT IT IS NICE THAT IT IS CLOSE TO DUBLIN.  MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE IT WAS THE FIRST COURSE I PLAYED IN IRELAND AFTER A LONG FLIGHT.  HOWEVER, I ONLY REMEMBER A HANDFUL OF HOLES.  I USUALLY REMEMBER EVERY HOLE ON A GOLF COURSE.  THAT IS A VERY TELLING SIGN TO ME.  14 AND 15 ARE GREAT HOLES.  NUMBER 1 ALONG THE WATER IS A NICE OPENING HOLE.  MAYBE IT IS A COURSE I HAVE TO PLAY AGAIN TO APPRECIATE IT.  I JUST FOUND IT TO BE UNDERWHELMING.  I PLAYED IT IN VERY GOOD CONDITIONS.

Many links start on flat ground but few of those move so convincingly into dunes where the best holes are.  Indeed after the 10th hole I forgot to take pictures I was just enjoying the course.  I DON'T REMEMBER MANY HOLES ON THE FRONT.  WE HAD A GREAT TIME.  I JUST WASN'T IMPRESSED.  I THOUGHT BALTRAY WAS AS GOOD AS PORTMARNOCK.

It’s definitely modern and it does remind me a bit of the European Club.  The scenery may not be as good but it’s a lot less severe than Ruddy’s courses and for me that’s a good thing. However you get flattish (machined?) fairways, some use of water and big greens that just sit there staring at you. I would personally like to see some given a more interesting shape and some microcontouring on the fairways forit to become a favorite.  IT IS DEFINITELY MUCH EASIER THAN THE EUROPEAN CLUB. 

I wouldn’t have given it that name as it invites comparisons but I’ll be returning to Dublin a lot in future and I look forward to playing it many more times.  I don’t claim it’s a classic but on one play I thought it rather good.  I WILL PLAY IT AGAIN AND GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE.

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES. 

Deucie Bies

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
Tony,

One more thing.  What holes are the pictures of?  I recognize a couple of them, but not all.  Did you play all 3 nines?

Deucie

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 02:12:11 AM »
DB

If its any consolation, I too thought many of the holes had a sense of much of a muchness.  I liked Portmarnock and thought it was a great course, but something didn't sit right with me.  I have played it a handful of times now and I am not itching to get back, especially at the prices they charge.  Who knows, maybe one day, but if I do get back to Dublin it will be to play The Island.  Portmarnock would certainly be second fiddle.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 07:49:38 AM »
Deucie:

Judging by your comments, I wonder if you are confusing Portmarnock Golf Club with the course at the Portmarnock Links Hotel depicted in Tony's photographs? The golf Club has 27 holes, the hotel course, I believe, has 18.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
Thanks Rory.  That clears it up.  Some of the holes look similar to what I remember on the front 9, but I guess they aren't the holes I played.  Regardless, I was not too impressed by the Portmarnock Golf Club (as opposed to the hotel).  I have heard great things about the Island and will have to check it out on my next trip. 

SPDB

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
I think its clear from his most recent comment indicating he doesn't recognize
Tony's photos, illustrates he is talking about the Club. Also, he says he likes
#1 along the water, which would point to the Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back