News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

GCA-er Andrew Biggdike won the Carnegie Shield at Royal Dornoch today for the third time in the past 6 years.

The tournament consists of 2 rounds of qualifying stroke play and 5 rounds of match play. The list is guys who have won it 3 or more times is a short one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:27:22 PM by David_Tepper »

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Congrats To Andrew Biggadike On His 3rd Carnegie Shield Win!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »
Very, very impressive, Andrew.

Congratulations.
jeffmingay.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
Great accomplishment.  Can you give us a report on the tournament, Andrew? 

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:55:37 PM »
Well done, Andrew!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

AndrewB

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »
I've now had too much to drink to provide anything other than a brief response coherently.  More later.  But, many thanks.

The course was playing soft this year with a lot of rain over the past few weeks.  We had mostly specatular weather for the tournament except for a wet second round of match play.  I played well in the finals with three birdies and one bogey to win 3&2 over a very tough Ian Rennie, who won the Silver Medal for the second straight year.  As a bonus I got to have a nice chat with Rich Goodale afterwards and learn a bit more about the Eden course at St. Andrews, which I played for the first time last Saturday.

I'm off to bed.  I have a morning tee time tomorrow and I wouldn't ever miss a chance to play Royal Dornoch.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Mike Policano

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
Andrew, well done!  Email me next time you are in the NY area. 

Cheers, Mike

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »
Congrats and well done to Andrew.

Rich were you spectating or participating?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
Both, Andrew M.

I saw the last few holes of Andrew B.'s final after emerging from a long session in the 19th hole trying to soothe the aches and pains of losing in the semis of the low-handicap flight on Saturday morning.  Another GCAer, Walter Bart, got to the semis of the high-handicap flight (9 and above), so it was a good Shield week for the Treehouse!

Rich

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
Congrats, Andrew!

Walter Bart

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
Congratualtions , Andrew. It was a pleasure to watch you strike that ball.
Also, a very nice acceptance speech.

Thanks for the mention Rich. You were right behind me when we both went down on the 15th.

I suprised myself by going so far in the high handicap group. It was great to have the adrenalin flowing and to hit some memorable shots and make some putts on an unequalled venue.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
Well done Andrew. 

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:37:55 PM »
From the Scottish Golf View:  http://www.scottishgolfview.com/2008/08/third-carnegie-shield-win-at-royal.html

Third Carnegie Shield win at Royal Dornoch by American Biggadike

By ROBIN WILSON

Back-to-back Silver Medals as the home club's leading qualifier for the past two years but no Carnegie Shield for Ian Rennie as the Basingstoke-based member fell in his first ever final to American Andrew Biggadike from California's Olympic Club, at Royal Dornoch.

After both finalists holed from under 12 feet for opening birdies they continued to match each other's play for the next eight holes and a second birdie putt from Rennie on the ninth green squared the game as they turned for home. Both out in one under par 34.

It was from the 10th tee that the twice former winner Biggadike grabbed hold of the game. A birdie 2 on the first inward hole once again gave him the lead and then when he saved par at the next hole with a 5ft putt and Rennie missed his return putt when attacking a birdie chance the Californian was in command. He won the next two holes with birdie and a par figures and his lead was up to four.

Rennie won back the 14th but could not make any more inroads and Biggadike added to his previous wins of 2003 and 2005 on the 16th green, vowing to return again in 2009.
On the return flight to California also went the Davidson Trophy from the Class 1 handicap final. It was won by Chris Bradish from Redland Country Club, beating Newmachar's Colin Ross in the final by 5 and 3.

The concession of four shots to the American was just too great a burden for Ross and he never recovered from a lost ball at the eighth hole where he fell four behind.

First duty of the newly-elected Royal Dornoch club captain Jim Campbell was to referee the Shield final which prevented him offering support to his teenage son Neil (16) who was up against experienced senior member Ian Fraser in the final of the handicap Fraser Trophy. When two behind, young Campbell drove into a bunker from the 16th tee allowing Fraser win the match by 3 and 1 and improve on his semi final place at Tain the previous week.

Results:
CARNEGIE SHIELD
Semi-finals - A Biggadike (US) bt J Miller (Gullane) 6 and 5, I Rennie (Royal Dornoch) bt P Latimer (St Andrews New) 3 and 1.
Final - Biggadike bt Rennie 3 and 2.

DAVIDSON TROPHY
Semi-finals - C Bradish (US) (8) bt R F Goodale (Aberdour) (6) 4 and 3, C R Ross (Newmachar) (4) bt L Muncaster (Archerfield Links) (8) 3 and 1.
Final - Bradish bt Ross 5 and 3.

E C FRASER TROPHY
Semi-finals - I M Fraser (Royal Dornoch) (13) bt W Bart (US) (15) 5 and 3; N Campbell (Royal Dornoch) (11) bt W D Easterbrook (US) (19) 4 and 3.
Final - Fraser beat Campbell
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back