News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Theodore Arnold Haultain
« on: August 15, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »
Many here know him, simply, as Arnold haultain, author of The Mystery of Golf.

However, he also authored other books. recently I managed a copy (1909) of Hints for Lovers to which I acquired great points with Valerie — and that was without even reading more than a few pages!

Has anyone here ever managed a photo of Mr. Haultain? I would, for some reason, be amused to see his likeness. I would be grateful.

Speaking of Hints for Lovers, could his description of a woman also describe a golf hole...

"What fascinates a woman is the man who unwittingly attracts her against her will. But such a man rouses a combination of emotions comprehensible only by women."

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

Re: Theodore Arnold Haultain
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »
http://www.archive.org/stream/goldwinsmithhisl00hauliala

Haultain, I believe at left, is with Goldwin Smith for whom he worked as a literary secretary.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:38:05 AM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »
Isn't this quote, generally attributed to Arnold Palmer, really from Haultain's "Mystery of Golf?"

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.”
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
"What fascinates a woman is the man who unwittingly attracts her against her will. But such a man rouses a combination of emotions comprehensible only by women."

Wonderful quotation Forrest. I have been the most fascinated in my life by women who truly know they like what they say they don't like. I've pretty much always felt like the best way to get to know a woman in all ways is the application of the art of the "theory of contrary opinion."

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:06:13 AM by TEPaul »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Maybe when I get done with Hints for Lovers I will be able to agree or disagree.   ::)
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back