News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Fred Pickering - the "King of All Golf Course Constructors"
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
I just got another threat from Wayne, this time apparently with TE as a party to it.

Mr. MacWood:

What on earth are you talking about now? A party to what threat??  ;) I assure you have no idea. You've got to be either paranoid or suffering from some kind of persecution complex. I really would advise you to take a leave from this site and for mental health reasons if nothing else! I have no problem at all with you being on here but it sounds like you pretty much owe yourself a leave and a rest from this website. But if you do stay I sure would advise you to stop claiming Wayne pissed on Macdonald's grave! How many times have you mentioned that on here, about a dozen times? And for what other than to intentionally try to annoy Wayne Morrison? Have you at least figured out yet that it's not true, and if you haven't then why haven't you?   ::)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:17:41 PM by TEPaul »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »
Bump of this thread given the discussion of Fred Pickering's work at Merion that is mentioned in the Alex Findlay article.

DChapman

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
Fred - the Highland CC website states:
"Highland was first founded in 1892 and has been listed, by the USGA, as one of the first 100 clubs established in the U.S. The course was architected by Pettis in 1901. There are additional tees that can be used when playing an eighteen hole round. The par for eighteen holes is 70 playing at 6,130 yards. "

(This was from http://www.highlandcountryclubattleboro.com/GolfCourse.asp )

Dan, 

Well the website appears to contradict the Boston Journal, which in March of 1909 reported that Attleboro would have one of the finest courses in the Mass. when it opened the next month with a tournament, and that the course had been put into condition under the direction of Pickering and Alex Findlay.  (They got Pickering's first name wrong, but I am not aware of another "expert" named Pickering who worked with Findlay.)

Perhaps Pettis "architected" an earlier course and Findlay redesigned it in 1908. 

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum.  I hope you indulge my curiosity.  The quote above peaked my interest as I have been the Head PGA Professional at Highland Country Club for the past twenty six years.  The club was founded in 1901 and the original architect's last name was Pettis from Providence, RI, but his first name was never mentioned in the fiftieth anniversary of the club's history published in 1951. Pettis and Highland Greens keeper (Superintendent) Joe Plante and Joe's horse and tipcart layed out the original course in 1901 for $300.00 ($150.00 over budget).

When the club house burned down in 1957 many of the clubs records were lost.  I knew many of the older members, who have long since passed to the "other side", but none could remember Pettis' first name.  Any suggestions on where I might look for information to find the elusive Mr. Pettis' first name?

Indecently, there were many early changes to the original design of the course after the demise of the gutta-percha ball.  The most notable change came into existence when Donald Ross, living in Pinehurst at the time, designed our seventh hole with work performed by a Mr. Johnson from Wickford, Rhode Island.  Ross would play our course on occasion when he lived in North Attleboro, MA and had an office in Sakonnet, RI.  Many of the Blackintons (his in laws) are still associated with the club.

I am familiar with Alex Findlay, but he was never mentioned having any association with Highland CC.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
Welcome, DChapman.

The first site I would try is the Fulton History web page:

http://fultonhistory.com/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

DChapman

« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
Welcome, DChapman.

Thanks you Joe!  That is a very interesting site, which I will gladly use in the future.  Unfortunately, it did not provide the information I was looking for.  I will keep searching.

Thanks,
Drew

Joe Bausch

« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
Welcome, DChapman.

Thanks you Joe!  That is a very interesting site, which I will gladly use in the future.  Unfortunately, it did not provide the information I was looking for.  I will keep searching.

Thanks,
Drew

Drew, if you did not utilize the "fuzzy searching" feature of Fulton, I would recommend trying it.  Start at '1' and see if this increases your hits, then increase by one unit until you max out.  Then check out all those hits and maybe Mr. Pettis pops up!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

DMoriarty

« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
D Chapman,

I tried to quickly retrace my steps on the quote above.  There were a few reports in 1899 of a "Highland Country Club" in Taunton in 1899 with over 100 members, and even a description of the course (and some sketches) in the Oct. 1, 1899 Boston Herald.  According to this article the Taunton course was originally laid out by Findlay but changed by Joseph Ohlson who "had charge of the links" (likely the greenkeeper.)

Nothing on this club in 1900, but the Herald reported on Sept. 22, 1901, "The Highland Country Club, composed of golfing enthusiasts, was organized in Attleboro last week."   Fred. E. Briggs was president and seems to have been running the show.  Nothing about a "Pettis." Different officers listed than the earlier Taunton club.

But then March 31, 1909 the Boston Journal announced, under the headline "Tourney to Open New Course," that "Attleboro is to have one of the finest courses in the State when the golfing season opens here on April 19. A tournament on that day will be the opening of the seasons play on the links of the Highland Country Club, which under the direction of experts Austin [sic?] Pickering and Alex Findlay of Wright and Ditson's, have put it into condition.  Several Cups have been donated . . . ."
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
I just love that this thread started with a Caddyshack quote from Eric Smith.  "Another Rob Roy, bishop?"
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

DChapman

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
Welcome, DChapman.

Thanks,
Drew

Drew, if you did not utilize the "fuzzy searching" feature of Fulton, I would recommend trying it.  Start at '1' and see if this increases your hits, then increase by one unit until you max out.  Then check out all those hits and maybe Mr. Pettis pops up!

Thanks Joe.  Tried it, but no results.  I'll keep looking.

DChapman

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
D Chapman,

I tried to quickly retrace my steps on the quote above.  There were a few reports in 1899 of a "Highland Country Club" in Taunton in 1899 with over 100 members, and even a description of the course (and some sketches) in the Oct. 1, 1899 Boston Herald.  According to this article the Taunton course was originally laid out by Findlay but changed by Joseph Ohlson who "had charge of the links" (likely the greenkeeper.)

Nothing on this club in 1900, but the Herald reported on Sept. 22, 1901, "The Highland Country Club, composed of golfing enthusiasts, was organized in Attleboro last week."   Fred. E. Briggs was president and seems to have been running the show.  Nothing about a "Pettis." Different officers listed than the earlier Taunton club.

But then March 31, 1909 the Boston Journal announced, under the headline "Tourney to Open New Course," that "Attleboro is to have one of the finest courses in the State when the golfing season opens here on April 19. A tournament on that day will be the opening of the seasons play on the links of the Highland Country Club, which under the direction of experts Austin [sic?] Pickering and Alex Findlay of Wright and Ditson's, have put it into condition.  Several Cups have been donated . . . ."

Exactly, Highland in Attleboro was indeed founded on September 16, 1901 with the by-laws established on September 25, 1901.  Fred E. Briggs was the President of the club from 1901-1906.
The Taunton location (ten minutes from Attleboro) does not have any affiliation and it is the first I have heard of it.
Please let me know if you find any additional information.  Your research is greatly appreciated.

Drew

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back