News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Greywalls September 19-21
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
Well, they say the 3rd time is a charm, so I thought I'd toss an invite this out to the GCA masses one more time this season.  I plan on taking a long weekend trip up to Marquette to play Greywalls Friday through Sunday, Sept 19-21.  Plan is to leave from the Milwaukee area early and arrive in Marquette for an afternoon round on Friday, 2 rounds Saturday, and a morning round Sunday before returning.  Guest rates apply for greens fees.  The more the merrier, and there's cheap/clean lodging close-by.  The course will be in prime shape in late September and the scenery should be nice as well.  More on the course here http://www.marquettegolfclub.com/home.htm and in John Morrisett's excellent piece here on GCA http://www.golfclubatlas.com/marquette1.html.

Cheers,
Brad

Jim Tang

Re: Greywalls September 19-21
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:18:19 PM »
Brad -

Just got back tonight from a golf trip to Wisconsin/Michigan and played Grey Walls for the first time.  What a treat.  My group loved the course and I thought DeVries did an excellent job with a special piece of land.  He EASILY could have made the golf course completely impossible, given the topography.  Instead, he masterfully used the contours of the land to sculpt a great golf course that is a ton of fun to play, extremely fair and super scenic.  It was just a great day of golf.

We got 36 in at Grey Walls.  I am in Chicago and if GW was closer, I would make a point of playing it every two years or so. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:53:35 AM »
I've just played Greywalls (my first DeVries) and was enthralled from the moment I hit my first shot. From the thump sound it made when returning to land to the roller coaster humps and hollows, the GC exudes a spirit only found in fitting a course well within it's natural environs. The Golf is inspired making the golfer want to make a better swing and pull off some of the heroic shots.

I loved the way the course was counter intuitive starting off like a Sting rock n' roll number while ending on more of a ballad. The varietal aspect of the 18th greensite is also a major positive.

I'd encourage anyone on the bubble of taking up Brad's offer, to do so, immediately.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Swanson

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:52:08 AM »
There looks to be enough interest that I will be looking to book tee times for multiple groups.  Still room for more though :).  Recommended lodging accommodations to follow later.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:30:02 AM by Brad Swanson »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:52:19 PM »
Looks like we'll have multiple groups for the Saturday and Sunday rounds.  There is still room for a few more to fill out the second group, and if there is more interest I can arrange an additional time for the Saturday and Sunday rounds. 

BRad

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:21 AM »
Last call before I make tee times for this trip.  We have 4 for the Friday round and 6 for the Saturday and Sunday rounds.  PM me if you are interested.

Brad

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »
Brad,

I wish I could join you, but work is getting in the way!  For anyone who hasn't made the trek, you should -- the course is in great shape and that time of year is beautiful, with the color just starting to change.  Plus, Northern will be back in town, so the nightlife will be quite good for those so inclined!

Cheers!
Mike

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:33:40 PM »
I booked tee times for this trip today. The afternoon round on Saturday and the morning round for Sunday have room for 2 more if anyone is interested in joining some Cheeseheads and FIBs up der in da UP for a round or 2 at Greywalls.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad Swanson

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:44:33 AM »
Last call for anyone interested in joining us up at Greywalls.  We have room for at least one more.  Like Mike said, the course should be at its finest this time of year.

Cheers,
Brad

----------------
Now playing: Chris Thile - The Beekeeper
via FoxyTunes

Brad Swanson

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
Last, last call for this trip  :).  The weather looks to be pretty good for this weekend, and the leaves should be turning some nice colors up in the UP by now. We have room in our groups if anyone is interested in joining us Friday, Saturday, or Sunday morning.  Last year around the same time when I played Greywalls the course was in super shape, and the greens were running their speediest.

Brad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back