News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Going back to Sedgefield this week...1925 Donald Ross
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »
Growing up in NC I used to go the GGO often.  However I never did see it at Sedgefield.  Now the tour has decided to go back to recently restored Ross course.  Counter to most current PGA trends this looks very refreshing.

Has anyone seen it lately, played it, pictures, etc?

It sounds like the greens are very much like #2 (Unlike Oakland Hills) with tight chipping areas.

Kudos for whoever made the decision to go retro.

Jay Kirkpatrick

Re: Going back to Sedgefield this week...1925 Donald Ross
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »
I was set to play it two weeks ago right before they closed it down for the tournament, but I got rained out.  Everyone raves about Spence's renovation.

The switch to Sedgefield is the result of a lot of hard work by a newly-founded charitable committee that took over the tournament from the Jaycees.  The leader of that group is Bobby Long, a VERY successful local businessman (think Greensboro's Johnny Harris) that carries memberships at Pine Valley and Seminole.  He took the tournament under his wing, fronted money before they found a sponsor, and negotiated the switch from Forest Oaks to Sedgefield.  The GGO is one of the oldest tournaments in existence... Greensboro hopes that the newfound enthusiasm will help keep it that way.

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »
Here is a link to an article by Ron Green, Jr. in today's Charlotte Observer on Sedgefield.  Kris Spence has been doing some terrific restoration work on Ross designs in the region (Sedgefield, Cape Fear, Mimosa Hills, Grove Park and, my home course, Carolina GC).  Hopefully the tournament will bring some well deserved acclaim to Sedgefield and Kris.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/124054.html

Tim Copeland

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57:05 PM »
Here is a link to an article by Ron Green, Jr. in today's Charlotte Observer on Sedgefield.  Kris Spence has been doing some terrific restoration work on Ross designs in the region (Sedgefield, Cape Fear, Mimosa Hills, Grove Park and, my home course, Carolina GC).  Hopefully the tournament will bring some well deserved acclaim to Sedgefield and Kris.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/124054.html

Spence is very good....

Take pictures please
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Greg Holland

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
So far, the players are being very complimentary.  Shackleford has links to a couple of articles up on his site.  The pros I have talked with all like it a lot.  They like that it is not a blast driver on every hole type course (Daly said he may hit driver on 3 or 4 holes), you must think your way around, move the ball both ways, and be in the right spots on the greens.  Plus, there are several holes where they really have to decide whether the risk of driver is worth the potential reward.  We got a lot of rain today, so it softened up a bit, but I think it will firm back up quickly tomorrow (assuming no more rain). 

In addition to the course, the clubhouse is spectacular.  Great opening ceremony today with Arnold Palmer, Richard and Kyle Petty (Victory Junction Gang camp is one of the major charities) and Snedeker hitting the opening shot. 

The crowds have been larger so far this week then I have ever seen them early in the week.  Hopefully that will continue throughout the tournament.

Should be fun. 

P.S.  Golf Channel talked with Kris today, and I believe it will air tonight on Golf Central.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
While the tournament has moved on, I would encourage anyone in the area to see the excellent work that Love Design did at Forest Oaks to bring new life to a tired Ellis Maples housing design.   I was highly impressed.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ray Cross

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
Man, that's great news. I went to the GGO several times in the late 60's, partied afterwards with fans and pros at the Plantation Club but never played the course. Wish i couls be there.

Ray

David_Madison

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »
I played the course a few weeks ago and was very impressed. It's a wonderful course that the members will enjoy playing - - interesting shotmaking, a good variety of looks both off the tees and into the greens, a nice mixing of tightness and width with good use of angles, and an overall pleasant course that's comfortably walkable.

I suspect that the tour players will kill it, especially during August. You can't get the bent grass greens as fast and firm now during the summer heat as they'd more naturally be in cooler weather, and that'll leave the course relatively defenseless. Still, I think that the best shotmakers will be rewarded here, as the balance of shotmaking versus putting will be tilted more on the side of shotmaking than is typical at most tour stops. There's plenty of contour in the greens with lots of nooks and other interesting cupping spots, but I think that the greens need to be pretty firm for the fun stuff to come into play. We're having a short cooler than normal spell and that might help allow a more aggressive prep of the greens. The two par-5's are easily reachable but with serious risk of a big number (from the tips I hit 6-iron into one and hybrid into the other) and there are some easy par-4's, especially on the front. A couple of the par-3's will provide plenty of challenge as will a few of the par-4's. I'm looking forward to being out there on Sunday.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 09:18:35 AM »
taking a glance at the scores it looks like the average score was around 67-68.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »
taking a glance at the scores it looks like the average score was around 67-68.

at par 70, with both of the par 5's easily reachable.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 12:07:33 AM »
uhhhh...nice little 61 today by Carl P.  that is pretty low, no?

michael j fay

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:09:13 PM »
The course is really well done. Par should be 68 for the touring pros. The distance on the fives is a non-starter.

Sedgefield was a very good Ross course and Kris Spence did a very nice job restoring it. It is a little hemmed in for lengthening so they may have to juice up the pin positions. It is really hard to make a central NC course hard and fast in August without losing it.

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
I have watched none of the telecast thus far, until today. I noticed that on many of the greens, they have the primary rough cut in not more than 2 or 3 steps off the green surface. I think that completely defeats the purpose of the Ross run-off areas and chipping areas. If you are going to have side slopes around the greens, give the ball room to run far off the surface, at least for tour players.

hhuffines

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
I walked the course today watching Daly, Calc and several others.  The conditioning looked incredible, especially for the heat we've had.  Kris Spence has done an wonderful job there!

I didnt see too many greens where there is a direct slope down from the putting surface except on the fronts of a bunch of them.  Many greens have collars with mounds or actual raised edges.  Still the pros were having some trouble.  Two par 3s, the 7th and the 12th have distinct punchbowl elements and the 12th was fun to watch for those either short or long.

I'm looking forward to watching it on tv tomorrow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back