News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

O/T - Course/Club Nicknames
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:34:33 AM »
The guys on the team called it "Cold Town," with a sense of disdain.

Aside from cracking me up, this quote from Ronald Montesano about Old Town made me think about the nicknames ascribed to certain clubs in their local golfing community.  These nicknames often capture a side of the club that is inescapably accurate.  For example, my club in Charlotte is commonly referred to around town as "Club Beirut" in response to the less than idyllic environs in which the club is located.  And there was a track in Dallas back in the day that a bunch of my buddies belonged to because it was the only club they could afford (or that would have them) called Sleepy Hollow that everyone referred to as "Schleppy Hollow" in deference to the class of characters found on the course.  Any other examples?

Ed

David Stamm

Re: O/T - Course/Club Nicknames
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:38:15 AM »
La Purisima has been called La Piranha because of the difficulty.

Mission Viejo CC has been called Mission Impossible for the same reason above.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Pat Burke

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:13:28 AM »
When it was a TPC, Starpass was called Star Wars and Barfpass in the papers

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »
@ Hilton Head Island

Back in the day, guys on staff where I worked commonly referred to our neighbor club as:

Shipwreck (Shipyard GC)

They didn't like it and when a game was arranged for play there, it was likely because all of our courses at P.D. were busy and/or other favorites couldn't accommodate the request that day.

I'll always be fond of Shipyard; its where I passed the PAT, 78-77 on the number,  helluva 4 footer on the last. 

Wish I remembered how to play that way!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:08:31 AM »
UNM Championship Course was known as the UNM South Course until about 15 years ago; the original UNM course was on the North campus and therefore known as the North Course. To those who played it and grew to love it before then it was and always will be "the South."

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:18:40 AM »
Sumner Hills GC near Greensboro, NC was nicknamed "Vietnam" because the playing conditions were so poor.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »
Not a name for a course per se, but I always that that the person who described Stone Harbor (NJ) as golf course architorture nailed it...

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »
The NCGA's Poppy Ridge is "Poopy Ridge"

Poppy Hills is "Sloppy Hills"

De Laveaga is "De Lousy-eaga"
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »
UNC's old Finley course used to be called 'Finley Flats' for it's general lack of elevation change (especially before the Nicklaus holes were put in on the back nine).

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:13:22 PM »
Sorry for the O/T to the O/T, but one thing I dearly love is when you play a course that has been rerouted in the past, or the nines reversed, and the members keep talking about "Old #7" etc. 

Actually that was going on at Hoylake, where the #3 hole in the Open routing was "Old #1" - it is really hard to keep up with!

So I guess the various "Monsters" have been considered - the Blue at Doral, the Monster according to Hogan at Oakland Hills.  What do they call the Concord's long, long course?

JeffTodd

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »
@ Hilton Head Island

Back in the day, guys on staff where I worked commonly referred to our neighbor club as:

Shipwreck (Shipyard GC)

They didn't like it and when a game was arranged for play there, it was likely because all of our courses at P.D. were busy and/or other favorites couldn't accommodate the request that day.

I had to chuckle at this one. I too call it Shipwreck and I live 750 miles away. It only takes one play to come up with that nickname.

rjsimper

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »
Tierra Rejada in LA has been termed:

Tierra Why-bother
Tierra Refundo
Tierrable Rejada

The Ralph Myhre Golf Course at Middlebury (pronounced to rhyme with fire) I termed "The Quag-Myhre" back in my college days after a particularly rainy spring.  The name has stuck somewhat.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
Unfortunately, amongst a group of my friends, "Musgrove Mill" has been renamed "Muskrat Love".

Sorry  :P,

Bart

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
The Concord course is just "The Monster."

The Concord Resort & Golf Club, is the home of the World Famous "Monster" Golf Course rated by Golf Digest as one of America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses.

At 7,650 yards from the "Monster Tees", this par 72 challenges every player with length, extensive bunkering, and a variety of water hazards. The Joseph Finger, Jimmy Demaret, and Jackie Burke, Jr. design offers a consistent World Class golf experience.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
My course, French Creek is also known locally as "the Creek".  Our holes 11-14 are known as "The French Quarter".

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
Playing high school golf, we used to facetiously add "Country Club" onto the end of the name of every dumpy course.  Then I moved to Mass. and found that the dumpy munis already have "Country Club" in their name and it wasn't nearly as entertaining.

C. Squier

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »
Tierra Refundo

.....still chuckling.

Playing high school golf, we used to facetiously add "Country Club" onto the end of the name of every dumpy course.  Then I moved to Mass. and found that the dumpy munis already have "Country Club" in their name and it wasn't nearly as entertaining.

We add "Golf and Polo Club" in the same vein. 

CPS

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
@ Hilton Head Island

Shipwreck (Shipyard GC)

I'll always be fond of Shipyard; its where I passed the PAT, 78-77 on the number,  helluva 4 footer on the last. 

Wish I remembered how to play that way!

Eric,
  I worked across the street at Long Cove Club up until October....trust me, it's still called SHIPWRECK or even Shi*yard....though, theyve made some real imporvement over the last couple years...

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:08:39 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
Unfortunately, amongst a group of my friends, "Musgrove Mill" has been renamed "Muskrat Love".

Sorry  :P,

Bart
  My old boss and the other assistant I worked with at Long Cove both worked there. They called it "Muskrat Hill" or "The Mill"

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
A certain American acquaintance of ours - a lady with a wickedly impish sense of humour - refers to our most revered of Clubs not by their normal somewhat stuffy appelation of "The Royal and Ancient", but, rather cruelly, highly amusingly and quite possibly astonishingly accurately as "The Old and Crusty."

..and he and she knows who she is... ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:23 PM »
My friends renamed Rosapenna's new course "Sandy Kills" because we lost so many balls on a very windy day.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

astavrides

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 03:04:07 AM »
the old Victoria in Carson = the Dust Bowl

Makefield Highlands = Makeshift Highlands

Tom Yost

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 05:21:06 AM »
Riverview GC is a City of Mesa (AZ) 9-holer that is adjacent to a water treatment plant.  We fondly refer to it as "RiverPhew."

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
Reeves GC in Cincinnati is so far removed from "the National" that we call it "the Regional."
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
I know several people that refer to Eagle Point, the exclusive Wilmington, NC club, as Ego Point.

Along those same lines, some of Landfall's (also in Wilmington) biggest critics refer to it as LandFill.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back