News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Almost like the Pizza man story...
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
So, Adam Clayman is visiting with me in the middle of his big summer golf voyage through the midwest on his way to Michigan rater's conference.  Of course we have to play the obligatory round at Lawsonia.  We go there for an afternoon round, unfortunately not with Brad Swanson who we were hoping could make it.  So, we are a twosome.  We find that we will be joined in the round by a single, whose travelling golf companion was supposed to be his Dad, who had a bit of a health problem and couldn't make it at the last minute.  The single approached us and we introduce ourselves, Adam Clayman from Nebraska, and Dick Daley from Green Bay.  The gent says... 'are you the Dick Daley on Golf Club Atlas?'  (I'm glad he didn't say the "goofy" Dick Daley or full of **it DD.)  I about drop my jaw, figuring it is another McConkey set up.  Instead, it turns out to be GCA.com contributor, Cory Lewis from Dupont CC who did the 'my home course' there.  What are the odds on coincidentally bumping into a fellow GCA poster you haven't met or actually exchanged IMs or whatever with? 

Well, it was a perfect golf day, with the exception of a brief shower as we played holes 2 and 3.  Then it cleared up and turned out great.  Cory is a pro at Dupont and obviously a fine player (who plays darn fast!!)  I'm on my last legs wondering if this is going to be my last round of the year as my back in getting damn bad.  But oddly enough, I played OK, and a good time was had by all GCAers... (I confess, we took a cart, and I'm sorry about that right there...)   ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

SPDB

Re: Almost like the Pizza man story...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »

figuring it is another McConkey set up. 

What was the original McConkey set up?

Instead, it turns out to be GCA.com contributor, Cory Lewis from Dupont CC

Are you sure it was him and not another infamous GCA persona?  ;) ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:30:48 AM »
Great story, Richard. This somewhat reminds me of how I met Jon Spaulding. We were paired up at San Clemente a couple of years ago and we got to talking. Well, lo and behold he mentions Max Behr's name on the 3rd hole in our conversation. I thought to myself that there is no way this guy knows that name and isn't on GCA. So I ask, "Do you go on to Golf Club Atlas' website?". "Everyday", he replys. He was not yet a member, but lurked on the site constantly. I eventually talked him into joining. Very small world....
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:13:34 AM »
The McConkey setup was a classic diabolically conceived rouse that someone may still pay a price for pulling off...  ;) ::) >:(  It is way to convoluted to go into detail here...

Am I sure he wasn't another 'infamous' GCA personality?   Well no, I didn't actually check his I.D.  ::) ;D  Although, I didn't see Hammy's yacht parked at Green Lake dock, or his gulf stream at Whitman field, but I could be wrong...  ::) ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »
It is a very small world indeed.  It was a great pleasure to play Lawsonia with Dick and Adam.  Two absolute gentlemen.  Dick was an exceptional guide and his knowledge of the architecture at Lawsonia made the experience that much more enjoyable.  I encourage every single GCA'er to seek out Lawsonia, it is a tremendous experience!!!  And you never know who you will run into ;D
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
I was playing in a US Am qualifier last Monday with a player on the University of Hartford team.  I introduce myself to the new golf coach at U of H, who, unbeknownst to me, is fellow GCAer Pete Stankevich!  It's a small world, and nice to meet a fellow devotée of the site out in the real world.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
Cory? Fast...

...naw, he at least waits for my ball to land before hitting his shot.  ;)

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
I am really bummed I couldn't make it, as I was working behind the scenes to meet up with both Cory and Adam.  I'm glad they had to enjoy Lawsonia with the unofficial course historian in tow.  I know Adam is headed up to Marquette for a few rounds this week at Greywalls, and I'm interested to hear his opinion on my home away from home course.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:12:08 PM by Brad Swanson »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
Lawsonia was even better than I remember. It clearly is a top course if you like to have fun on the golf course. I'm not familiar with the Doak scale, but if you are within 3 hours drive it's a must play.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Connor

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:14:03 PM »
And I haven't even had a non-GCA member say "What's Golf Club Atlas" upon seeing my new GCA golf bag!

I'm looking forward to the Dixie Cup to get to meet more of you -- so far John Conley is it for me.
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back