News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

What Classic Era Courses That Have Never Held A Major...
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »
...could and should hold one?  Not necessarily a US Open, perhaps an Amateur; a Women's Open or Amateur; a Sr. Open or Amateur; or a Junior Boys or Girls Amateur.

How about by architect? 

There are several Flynn courses which have never held a major and merit one.  There is one in particular that may just get one.  Any ideas?

Joe Bausch

Re: What Classic Era Courses That Have Never Held A Major...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »
Obviously the answer is not Rolling Green, since they've held a US Womens Open (I think in 1976 won by Big Mama).  But I would love to see them get involved with trying to lure the LPGA Championship once it leaves Bulle Rock next year.  It just amazes me that the Philadelphia region doesn't have more 'big' golf events.

Now back to Wayne's thread please....!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »
Cobb's Creek.   ;)

Since I know the answer, I can wish instead.  ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Lehigh?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »
Incorrect, Michael.   Though I think it would be a wonderful venue for a junior event or a Women's Amateur.

What about other classic courses that could/should hold a USGA championship?

CHrisB

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »
After playing a US Mid-Am qualifier at Franklin Hills, I think they can hold a U.S. Mid-Am or Women's Am just on the greens alone (contours and speeds). Too short for the US Am but it would make a wonderful tournament venue.

(Turns out Franklin Hills did host a USGA championship, the 1947 Women's Amateur.)

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »
San Francisco GC held the Curtis Cup about 25-30 years ago. I do not know if any other USGA events have been held there.  I doubt any will be in the foreseeable future.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
Many...Pine Valley - walker cup.  Seminole?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 08:47:15 PM »
Huntingdon Valley.

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 09:00:44 PM »
Huntingdon Valley would make a wonderful USGA championship course.  I know Linc Roden would love to see the C-9 used.  It is one of the ones I was thinking, but not the one that looks in line for an event.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »
Park Club near Buffalo held the 1934 PGA (Runyan d. C. Wood) but nothing since...Colt/Allison design could host a Curtis Cup or a boys/girls Junior Am.

Stafford CC (Travis) in Batavia, NY, would be another great site for a Curtis Cup or a boys/girls junior am.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brian Cenci

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »
How about Crystal Downs?  I would love to see a US Am there....greens would eat people alive.  I know they held the 91 US Senior Am.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 09:12:14 PM »
North Bay of SF-

The Meadow Club- not sure they have ever hosted anything.  Not sure most people could find the place.

Sonoma Golf Club- I know they have that Charles Schwab cup and the course has been altered some through the years, but it still has a great classical feel to it.

Scott

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:22 PM »
Wayne,

Cricket (Tillinghast/ Flynn) will host the 2010 US Women's Mid Am. Is this a precursor to a Women's Open?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:29:33 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Phil McDade

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
Qauker Ridge hosted the '97 Walker Cup, but that's about it -- the club history says the only other tourney of note hosted there was the Met Open back in the 1930s.

Milwaukee CC, an Alison updated by RTJ Sr., hosts the Mid-Am this year; it's only had the US Senior AM in '88 and the Walker Cup in '69.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:42:40 PM by Phil McDade »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »
The course I'm thinking of used to be part of Golf Digest's Top 100 and is presently on the Golfweek Top 100 Classic listing.

Ed Oden

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
The course I'm thinking of used to be part of Golf Digest's Top 100 and is presently on the Golfweek Top 100 Classic listing.

Lancaster?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »

Lancaster?

Ding ding ding...or so rumor has it!   ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 10:23:53 PM »
How about Crystal Downs?  I would love to see a US Am there....greens would eat people alive.  I know they held the 91 US Senior Am.

I would love to see a Crystal Downs - Arcadia Bluffs US Amateur.   The hotel situation may not work out but it would be a great venue.

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 12:29:10 AM »
Los Angeles CC, North Course, Thomas/Bell

CPC & Valley Club, MacKenzie

Victoria Club, Behr

Rustic Canyon, Hanse/Shackelford

SFGC, Tillinghast/Bell

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 01:08:27 AM »
...could and should hold one?  Not necessarily a US Open, perhaps an Amateur; a Women's Open or Amateur; a Sr. Open or Amateur; or a Junior Boys or Girls Amateur.

How about by architect? 

There are several Flynn courses which have never held a major and merit one.  There is one in particular that may just get one.  Any ideas?

Flynn? Do tell. We are all on the edge of our seat waiting for your candidates...my choice would be nle Boca Raton?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 01:24:05 AM »
If there's not been one there yet, a USGA event at Yale would be an awful lot of fun to see.

Fishers Island?

CC of Fairfield?

Taconic?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

wsmorrison

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 06:58:43 AM »
Tom MacWood,

Your reply, made at 1:30am, is a complete waste of time, especially your own.  You think a major championship should be held on an NLE course?  That should make for great TV.  Or you think the course should be reconstructed somewhere similar to its original location?  Boca Raton South was one of the great courses in America and would be today if it wasn't lost.  However, you didn't say whether it should be the North Course or the South Course...maybe you think it should be a composite.

Don't you have anything better to do?  Isn't there some history you are compelled to rewrite whether in error or otherwise?  Sit back in the chair, get off the edge of your seat, and take it easy.  You need a hobby.  How about stamp collecting?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:05:55 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 07:44:49 AM »
In 1939-41, the Brook Hollow Golf Club in Dallas, Texas, changed their putting surfaces from Bermuda to bent grass for that very reason.

Despite being considered the sternest of test's andprobably the best course in Texas for many, many years it never got one. Most surprising considering the number of USGA Executive Committee members who have been members there over the years.

Today it is that rarest of golf courses that could open it's doors this afternoon to host the U.S. Women's Open (too short for a men's) and the ONLY work needed done would be the putting up of the ropes! It is in fabulous condition. I just visited it a 10 days ago and the putting surfaces were about a 9 & 1/2 and lush... and that was after 20 straight days of 100+ degree temperatures!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:49:10 AM by Philip Young »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
Tom MacWood,

Your reply, made at 1:30am, is a complete waste of time, especially your own.  You think a major championship should be held on an NLE course?  That should make for great TV.  Or you think the course should be reconstructed somewhere similar to its original location?  Boca Raton South was one of the great courses in America and would be today if it wasn't lost.  However, you didn't say whether it should be the North Course or the South Course...maybe you think it should be a composite.

Don't you have anything better to do?  Isn't there some history you are compelled to rewrite whether in error or otherwise?  Sit back in the chair, get off the edge of your seat, and take it easy.  You need a hobby.  How about stamp collecting?

Would it be phycially possible to have the south course restored?

I'm sorry Wayne, when I originally read the question I thought it was a good one, but then you deviated began talking about every USGA championship including the boys and girls. There are hell of a lot courses that could host a girls and seniors women am. It appeared to be a creative way for you to talking about Flynn courses. I thought I cut through all the bull crap.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back