News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Hanse - Union Bay Golf Links, British Columbia preview
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »
Link to video about Gil Hanse / Geoff Shackelford's Union Bay project: http://www.unionbaygolflinks.com/

Looks very solid.  Sounds a little like Bandon Trails with three completely different course sections.

Adam Sherer

Re: Hanse - Union Bay Golf Links, British Columbia preview
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
wow!

those simulations are about all an owner needs to be sold on the project
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Jim Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »
Chip, thanks for posting this. I hadn't really checked up on the Union Bay project for awhile. I got interested in that area when Jeff Mingay mentioned a possible project that he and Rod Whitman may do one day, not very far from there. This is an area of Canada that my wife and I will look seriously at for retiring to in the coming years.

JJ

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
Does anyone recognize the photos those simulations are from?  As far as I know, computers aren't able to replicate that kind of texture and variety, only distort existing real images.  The clubhouse looks like Shinnecock Hils.  Also who do you think put those together?  Was it Hanse himself?
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
WOW
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:27:27 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:33:24 PM »
Was it Hanse himself?

I'll guess Tommy himself.  :)
The person that did those was a photoshop expert, not a rendering/CAD guy.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »
I am no more than a thirty minute drive to Union Bay.  I can't wait for this to open - Vancouver Island needs a course like this.

Two other projects on the Island have either stopped (Maple Bay - Norman design) or slowed (Nicklaus - Wyndandsea in Uclulet), largely based on water issues.  I pray that there are no such problems for UBGL.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »
Having driven through that area many times before the new highway was opened, I always thought it was a nice setting and my father for years always mentioned that they wanted to build a course there.  That was when I was 10 and now 15 years later, I had a chance to take the old Island Highway from Qualicum to Courtney earlier this year and I must say that I can see this area being a huge retirement destination for people across Canada or even in the US.  With no highway traffic now its so calm, peaceful and stunning.

As already mentioned, the Norman and Nicklaus designs haven't come along much since the shaping and I feel that when this course opens and when the Whitman/Mingay project gets going, we'll have two world class golf courses on the Island and not world class housing developments/hotel courses. 

Gary Browning is also designing a course in Nanaimo called Cable Bay which looks intriguing as well. 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »
They drive from Cabot Links is going to be challenging.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 09:03:42 AM »
Jerry - that's funny!  What do you think - 7 day drive?

henrye

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »
I am no more than a thirty minute drive to Union Bay.  I can't wait for this to open - Vancouver Island needs a course like this.

Two other projects on the Island have either stopped (Maple Bay - Norman design) or slowed (Nicklaus - Wyndandsea in Uclulet), largely based on water issues.  I pray that there are no such problems for UBGL.

Water issues - really?  I though it rained in that neck of the woods 200 days/year?

henrye

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »
I just watched the video and the course looks great, but the dunes look more like the UK than Vancouver island.  Gil talks about the feel of Cypress Point, but the look is more like a links course than a California seaside one.

Anyone else think the dunes look out of place on that site?  Don't get me wrong, they look great, but not sure how well they fit with the surrounds?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:26:47 AM by HenryE »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »

Water issues - really?  I though it rained in that neck of the woods 200 days/year?

Tofino, which is just north of Ucluelet, ran out of water one summer weekend a year or two back.  I don't get it either.

As for Maple Bay, the course is high on a plateau and getting the water up is an issue.  There is some sort of litigation going on now.

As for Union Bay, the video seems to depict that there will be a village, but I'm not sure if there will also be housing on the holes.  I am hoping to go up and see it during the construction.  When it opens, I look forward to establishing my Hillbilly credentials with some GCAers.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »

Union Bay is on the east shore of Vancouver Island, ie the lee side, so tends to get a lot less rain than the west side of the Island. As can be seen from some of Andrew's pics, there is no surf in that area, but the tides change the vista a few times a day and low tide can go a long way out. The course will likely be open year round as are most in this area, which can increase its chances of success.

This site shows great promise.

TX Golf

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
Does anyone have any idea what is going to be done to grow grass on the lower section of the course?? It looks to me as if it is all rock??? Will soil and sand need to be brought in from a different location?

Don Hyslop

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
 If the construction is true to what we have seen through this video, I believe it will become an instant classic.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Daryl David

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »
Does anyone know what the model will be.  Private land/house owner members only?  Destination club?  Semi-private?

Will MacEwen

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Does anyone know what the model will be.  Private land/house owner members only?  Destination club?  Semi-private?

I think it would be tough to be members only.  There isn't a huge population base here.  Most clubs in the area charge annual dues of about $2500 for year round golf - a fully private model seems like a reach. 

Daryl David

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »
I found this in some documents from planning commission hearings on the Union Bay project.

"Two hundred and seventy vacation rental units - plus retail outlet - plus
condo and townhouse units -plus a one hundred berth marina and a busy
boat- launch."

Sounds like a combination vacation resort with some housing.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »
By way of an update, I just drove by the site today.  The development notices are still up, and there was equipment on site.  It looked like progress had been made since my last time by in September.

Two high profile projects on the Island are dead or on hold, and some other projects in the province have been shelved.  I hope this one comes to fruition as it offers real promise in an area that could use a very good course.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
What a great video piece!  Extremely well done. 

Andrew,
I wouldn't worry too much.  Gil will do a fantastic job for sure. 

I think some of the photos/simulations provide a great example of how much creativity and effort go into building golf courses.  Even though this as Gil says is a great site, many of the holes are clearly being built and not just "found". 

Good stuff!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 11:14:21 PM »
Chip,

Thanks for posting the link - always nice to see great architects putting up (hopefully) inspiring courses in the homeland.

Vancouver island is an awesome setting.

It will be interesting to see how effectively they blend the various environments.

I would agree that if the "links" holes are not done "right" they could look very out of place.

Gil talks about enjoy building "natural courses" which is an interesting comment when, based on the viral, man's hand is very evident in the design with all the mounding, etc.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »
Robb Rigg,

In the immortal words of Gary Coleman, "what the f8cck you talkin' 'bout Willis!??!??

With all due respect, can you point me to "the hand of man, with all the mounding" in those picture?

Perhaps I'm a moron who can't see a blazin' thing accurately, but to me it looks that simply the top layer of cover has been removed, and any and all of the undulations lying beneath have been there for...oh, about 6 zillion millenia.

Either that or perhaps you have some insight that I'm obviously incapable of, so if that's the situation, can you please point out the specific UNnatural landforms on any or all of the pics and educate me, and possibly others?

Because right now, I'm having a very difficult time understanding what you're seeing as some destruction and/or disfiguration of the natural property that existed prior, so I think the impetus is clearly on you to get more specific than just throwing out a general broadside that seems lacking specifics, based on the visual evidence.

Please just give us some more detail around your criticisms and I'm sure you'll have a very objective audience.

Thanks!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
Mike.
Again these are only simulations but I saw the same thing Robb did.  It is not like they are just grassing over native contours and digging bunkers.  But there is nothing wrong with that.  I think it looks awesome and knowing Gil, when it is finished no one will know what what he built vs. what he found. 
Mark

Mark_Fine

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
Mike,
The video simulations is what I was referring to.  You should watch it then post your thoughts.
Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back