News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Sneak preview of an exciting new course
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:37 AM »
A few weeks ago, I posted several photos of a course in Pinehurst that is scheduled to open in March next year and asked people to guess the architect. A fair few rushed in with Coore & Crenshaw based on the style of the bunkers and, in fact, they were correct.

How about here? Can you readily identify the architect firm and/or where the course is located? This is much harder as the bunker ‘style’ is of little/no help.

In addition to the three photos below, here are some hints:

*one of the architects is a regular poster on GolfClubAtlas.com (and yes that classes him as being very smart, at least smart enough to avoid any Merion/Myopia threads 8))
* the site is blessed with sandy soil throughout
* the location is generally windy, enough so that the seventh hole is a 300 yard par three  :o that makes sense
* the course features what is being billed as the world’s biggest bunker and since it stretches out of eye-sight,  it just might be!
* play is year-around and is slated to commence in the January, 2009 timeframe.
* as you may be able to discern, it’s not Oakland Trees, site of this week’s PGA Championship, but there is a connection, albeit a painful one
* this probably gives it away but its location may be the sole hot spot of golf course construction in the Americas.

Above is the 200 yard uphill eleventh with a sixty foot plus drop off the back right through that gap.

This one is taken forty yards shy of the fifteenth green. Though photos flatten green contours, some of the excellent (!) random movement are still evident.

Seen from behind, the reachable seventeenth plays dead downwind but holding the small elevated green in the foreground will be the trick. The wide fifteenth fairway is seen to the right and the 140 yard sixteenth is in the far distance.

Jed Peters

Re: Sneak preview of an exciting new course
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:35 AM »
Whoa that place looks incredible.

Obviously on the great lakes....

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:04:32 AM »
It's not in the US - Mexico or Costa Rica. Mike Young?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »
Mayan Riviera? 

Will MacEwen

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »
It kind of looks like the Oregon Coast around Florence/Newport.

I am sure I am wrong by at least one body of water.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »
How is this "obviously" the great lakes? 

My guess is Mexico.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:12:26 AM »
I think that's Paul Cowley's work in Mexico (Cabos?).  With Davis Love III Design (is that the connection with the PGA Championship?)

Even the usually very modest and reticent Mr. Cowley has not been able to resist talking about how good his new course in Mexico would be (and even at that, I think it was a few months ago that he last mentioned it)...and if my guess is right, it appears that Paul had very good reasons to be proud!

Peter 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:38:45 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Adam Sherer

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »
Not sure about "sole hotspot of golf course construction in the Americas" but...

I would guess Cabo San Lucas

not sure about architect....
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
Can you play year round in the Great Lakes region? I don't think so. Go south to mexico for this one.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »
I'll second the guesses of Paul Cowley and mexico.  We know he's been working down there causing all sorts of trouble and rabble-rousing with the locals.

If this is the course he's been working on perhaps, he'll be redeeming himself.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »
I dont need to know the name per se, but I would LOVE to play it! That is an extremely well thought out and very, very natural from aesthetic point of view.

I am thinking a warmer climate type area...
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:04 AM »
No comment.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:52:01 AM by Greg Tallman »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
How many holes are actually under grass now?  When I visited six months ago or so I guess about half had been planted.

That eleventh hole was the one that shocked me on our walk-through, boy did it look like it would be severe in a wind, and it is a very windy site.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
How many holes are actually under grass now?  When I visited six months ago or so I guess about half had been planted.

That eleventh hole was the one that shocked me on our walk-through, boy did it look like it would be severe in a wind, and it is a very windy site.

I believe 13 holes were grassed as of last week and completion slated for next week.

11 will be tough but plans were to amend the left side to some degree allowing for more playability there... generally the wind willl keep most from entering "the world's biggest bunker" right of the green... Actually among my favorite holes without having had the chance to hit a ball.

A few others offered questions but until playing them extended discussion would be unfair... only to say that 600 into the prevailing wind to what would be one of the better green complexes were it approached with a short iron (highly unlikely) is a bit of a head scratcher.

Sorry PC... you know how much I like the place.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
given the front page picture on GCA recently changed to Cabo Del Sol I think there is a good chance this is in Cabo as well.

my first thought was this looked like El Dorado's ocean holes (Nicklaus) but the Sea of Cortez looked to docile. (and the ocean holes have been bulldozed for housing now)

there is a lot of work down there:

hanse/shackelford (now), doak (i think?), love III, c&c (next year?), etc

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:21:30 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »
I'm guessing it's Miami after they blow up all the condos they can't sell or its Mexico. 

I wonder how the resort golfers are going to like it.

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »
Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

I might even be able to convince my wife that we should vacation there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
If this is what Paul Cowley's been working on, where does Phil Mickelson fit into the picture? Wasn't he involved on this overall project?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve Okula

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't judge from a few photos, but that looks penal to the extreme, scary, and a nightmare for a mid-level handicapper to try to play. All in all, a good reason to put up the clubs and go lie on that great looking beach behind it.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »
If this is what Paul Cowley's been working on, where does Phil Mickelson fit into the picture? Wasn't he involved on this overall project?

Same development... differrent course... totally different land. Probably a couple years off for that one but think Shadow Creek concept.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 04:46:01 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't judge from a few photos, but that looks penal to the extreme, scary, and a nightmare for a mid-level handicapper to try to play. All in all, a good reason to put up the clubs and go lie on that great looking beach behind it.

Steve, most driving areas actually appear rather wide and of the photos shown there is no sense of difficulty or lack thereof from the tee at all.

The photo of 11 is from about 175 on an uphill par 3... go for the back right pin and you are one brave hombre!

The photo does show the difficulty of the approach at 15 (my initial reaction last week was... hmmmm this aint easy...) but in fairness the green is the size of Rhode Island or thereabouts.

The other photo looks over the 15th through 17th without a real sense of playability of shotmaking requirements. But sure is purty!

17 in the foreground was probably the lease favorite of Ran and I both... but again future playability tweaks were noted by on site supervisor.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:55:45 PM by Greg Tallman »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »
Greg - thanks for that post. I appreciate the details.

Peter

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
Greg - thanks for that post. I appreciate the details.

Peter

Peter, My pleasure... love the place. Now if they would just put me in charge of sales I might loosen up with my praise a bit more.  ;D

henrye

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
Where in Cabo is this?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »
Where in Cabo is this?

Pacific Side... maybe 3-4 miles up from the arch/land's end. Just past the lighthouse if you are familiar.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back