News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Met Am - Friar's Head.
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »
Any GCAers playing this week at Friar's Head? The first big strokeplay tournament held at this relatively new course. Will be interesting to see how the scores range and find out how they had the course set up.

Have any of you played there and what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:58:22 PM by Dean Stokes »
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

JWinick

Re: Met Am - Friar's Head.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
I have a friend playing in it... I will get him to post when he's done.   I've already heard that the owner has been all over the players during the practice round to make sure they replace their divots. 

Scott Stearns

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »
its match play--stroke play qualifying.  no yardage on the sprinkler heads.  will be interesting to see how they do.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:04:38 PM »
its match play--stroke play qualifying.  no yardage on the sprinkler heads.  will be interesting to see how they do.
They do have yardage books though. I think many will have trouble on the greens unlesss they take a Friar's caddie.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »
They do have yardage books though. I think many will have trouble on the greens unlesss they take a Friar's caddie.

So Tommy finished the yardage book?   ??? ;D

When I played there in 2005, I would have been lost without our caddie, he had his yardages down pat.

It should be a terrific match play venue, it will be very interesting to see how the qualifying scores come in.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:12:22 PM »
I'm sure that Mr. Bakst is similar to a "proud papa" this week!

Tony Nysse
Asst Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:18:05 PM »
36 holes in a day. I hear they may set it up very fairly in order to keep play moving. 

Noel Freeman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
I have a friend playing in it... I will get him to post when he's done.   I've already heard that the owner has been all over the players during the practice round to make sure they replace their divots. 

Jay- this is just a question, don't YOU replace your divots when you play a round of golf?  I think your second comment is innuendo and besmirches someone who has a great reputation and is driven to make Friars Head, the very best it can be and honorable to the traditions of the game (and on a wonderful site for golf to boot)...

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
I throughly second Noel's post. Kenny is is undeniably one of the game's best guardians in the Met area. He is, I'm sure, far more interested in having his course play well and fair for every competitor than concerned about how it might look.

That said, I'm equally sure he, Jim and the others with ties to FH aretalking/praying to each and every one of their gods for the wind to blow!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:04:25 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JWinick

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Noel:

I'm a divot-replacing nazi.   But, if you're going to host a tournament, let the players enjoy their practice round.  You don't need to watch over them like a hawk.   I'm sure he's a great guy who cares about the game and his course. 

Jay- this is just a question, don't YOU replace your divots when you play a round of golf?  I think your second comment is innuendo and besmirches someone who has a great reputation and is driven to make Friars Head, the very best it can be and honorable to the traditions of the game (and on a wonderful site for golf to boot)...

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »
I am thrilled FH will get this most possible exposure.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:33 AM »

Is Friar's Head even required by the MGA to offer a practice round when they host this event?   :-X  The focus should be on the participants that don't see fit to replace their divots , I never heard that following divot replacing etiquitte would take away from ones enjoyment of a round of golf.

I wish any one of my clubs had a guardian like Mr. Bakst and I am sorry he had to waste time reminding folks but that is a reflection on the players and not him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:45:19 PM by HamiltonBHearst »

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 01:27:53 PM »

Does the MGA take over the preparation of the course and make all playability decisions, or will the Club's policy prevail?

Will there be rakes in the bunkers?

...and just to be clear, when I say rakes, I am not passing judgement on any of the player's personal behavior.  ;D

JSlonis

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure that in this tourney, some of the club's policies have prevailed.  The MGA allows Distance devices this year in events, but they will NOT be allowed at Friar's Head.  There are a couple of special provisions, but I was unable to see them on the MGA site.

So if I'm correct, Friar's Head has no yardages on their sprinklers, and you're not allowed to use a distance gizmo...doesn't sound like much fun to me.  Maybe for a casual round yes, but for a tournament, it seems goofy to me.  Are the sprinkler heads numbered at all?  This is what Pine Valley does.  Each caddie has a chart with the corresponding yardage to the numbered head for each hole.  Pretty easy system.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure that in this tourney, some of the club's policies have prevailed.  The MGA allows Distance devices this year in events, but they will NOT be allowed at Friar's Head.  There are a couple of special provisions, but I was unable to see them on the MGA site.

So if I'm correct, Friar's Head has no yardages on their sprinklers, and you're not allowed to use a distance gizmo...doesn't sound like much fun to me.  Maybe for a casual round yes, but for a tournament, it seems goofy to me.  Are the sprinkler heads numbered at all?  This is what Pine Valley does.  Each caddie has a chart with the corresponding yardage to the numbered head for each hole.  Pretty easy system.

While I am only speculating and don't know for sure, I'd be surprised and shocked if Kenny Bakst and/or Jim Kidd haven't already thought this out ahead of time and at least prepared a yardage book/#'ed sprinker head system for the occasion. He's entirely too astute to miss this and compromise the area's finest amateurs abilities to play to their best levels. "Goofy" golf just isn't in the Friars Head vocabulary.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dean Stokes

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 05:37:25 PM »
There's a comprehensive yardage book available in the pro shop that gives distances off bunkers, trees and sprinkler heads (unmarked). If you have a little more cash to spend you can hire one of 40 very good caddies who know the course back to front and will be a huge benefit on approach shots (where you want to putt from ideally), and on the greens which I am sure will be slippery. They will also save your legs going up 1,7 and 14.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »

Is Friar's Head even required by the MGA to offer a practice round when they host this event?   :-X  The focus should be on the participants that don't see fit to replace their divots , I never heard that following divot replacing etiquitte would take away from ones enjoyment of a round of golf.

I wish any one of my clubs had a guardian like Mr. Bakst and I am sorry he had to waste time reminding folks but that is a reflection on the players and not him.

It might not take away from the enjoyment of ones round of golf, but the owner will undoubtly bring on negativity.
Hamilton, is that the first thing you would like to encounter when going to play a golf course?

I would hope the MGA would never hold an event where the golf course would not allow a practice round.

Hammy you are certainly are the man.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:55:39 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »

How is Mr. Bakst "putting himself out there"?  By asking golfers to replace divots?

I might add that I do not "encounter" anything when I go out to play a course because I know how to act. 

Dean Stokes

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
No rakes tomorrow!!!!! Could be some footprints. ;D

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »

How is Mr. Bakst "putting himself out there"?  By asking golfers to replace divots?

I might add that I do not "encounter" anything when I go out to play a course because I know how to act. 

And you don't think the majority of the competitors know to fix their divots?

Put something on the local rules sheet and make sure the officials remind the players upon check in. I see no need for the owner of a club like Friars Head to be "all over players" about divots.

This should be a great tournament. I may try to get up there and watch it on Friday afternoon.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »
With all this kevetching about Friar's Head, practice rounds, and divots, I'll ask the following question (one that has troubled me for many years):

What percentage of replace divots eventually take root?  I've seen far too many that lie in their holes, acting as fill, but not taking root.  Are wet conditions the best for encouraging re-rooting?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
Ronald  Montesano,

The answer to your question depends on how quickly and properly a divot is replaced, and..... if they're subsequently pulled up by birds.

JSlonis,

Many clubs DON'T permit practice rounds.

As to no yardage markers or range finders, why shouldn't players have to judge distance ?  It was a critical element in the game that's been lost.

M Shea Sweeney,

Are the players children ? inconsiderate ? , novices ?  disrespectful ? boors ?

Why should the club have to put out a bulletin reminding players of one of the basic tenets of golf.

Ken Bakst has let golfers in the Met Area play his golf course in the busiest month in season, at the expense of member play, and you're complaining that he's protecting HIS golf course ?

What would happen to a competitor at Augusta if he behaved poorly or didn't take care of the golf course ?  Would he be reprimanded ?
Invited back ?

Ken Bakst has created a marvelous golf course, been generous enough to offer it for play in the busiest month of the golf season,  understands and has a sense of the game, traditions and culture of golf far beyond the great majority.

It's his course, he takes pride in it.  And, if guests are so inconsiderate that they aren't replacing their divots, they should be brought to task.

JWinick,

You must be kidding.

"Let the players enjoy the practice round" ?

At the expense of the golf course.

If they had the proper etiquette and sense of the game they wouldn't need anyone to remind them to replace divots.

What happened to common sense.

If I invited a guest to my club and they didn't replace divots, I can guarantee you that they wouldn't get a second bite at the apple.

Ken Bakst knows what he's doing.

He's a great player, an advocate of the preserving the traditions that made the game so great.

When idiots are too self absorbed to take good care of a golf course it's not the owner's/member's fault.

Ken Bakst gets it, obviously others don't. 

JWinick

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »
Pat,

You never fail to mispresent someone's view to serve your agenda.  However, I'm not suprised to see that you're kissing up to someone who could be useful for you.   Next time you're playing, I'll be all over you after every hole to make sure you repair your divots (even though you probably would) and see how that makes you feel.   No one is suggesting that someone should not repair their divots. 

JSlonis

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »

JSlonis,

Many clubs DON'T permit practice rounds.

As to no yardage markers or range finders, why shouldn't players have to judge distance ?  It was a critical element in the game that's been lost.

Pat,

I didn't mention anything about practice rounds.  The GAP is the same way, "technically" there are no practice rounds allowed for GAP events.

I'm pretty sure there isn't one player in the field at the Met Am who played when yardage marked in some type was not a part of the game.  If it's a crtical part of the game that was lost, it was lost too long ago to have much influence on today's game.  I would also assume that yardage is being provided in one form or another for this event.  You know that in tournament play, the object is to shoot the lowest score, and having appropriate yardage without blindly guessing helps you do just that. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 06:55:08 AM »
Should Ken be viewed as owner or fellow competitor? I was reprimanded once by Uncle Bob for a bad rake job in a bunker. Should we throw Uncle Bob under the bus too?  :D

From http://www.mgagolf.org/

ELMSFORD, N.Y. – One of the most eagerly anticipated MGA championships in years will kick off next Thursday, August 7, when play begins at the 106th Met Amateur Championship at Friar’s Head in Riverhead, New York. The combination of the MGA’s oldest championship along with one of the most spectacular new golf courses in the country has created a buzz among players and officials that is sure to make for an exciting four days on Long Island. The Met Amateur is the first championship to be played at Friar’s Head, which opened to rave reviews in 2003.

The Met Amateur field will be led by defending champion Greg Rohlf of Winged Foot, who returned to his former home course of Wykagyl in 2007 to capture his third MGA major title. He will be joined by Kevin Foley of Neshanic Valley (N.J.), who won the 2008 Ike Championship in late June and made match play at the U.S. Public Links Championship in Colorado earlier this month. Foley, an Honorable Mention All American from Penn State University, is looking to become the first player to win two MGA major titles in one season since Johnson Wagner won five consecutive titles in 2001-2002.

Foley leads a strong group of young players who are positioned to withstand the rigorous four days of competition. Tommy McDonagh of Shorehaven (Conn.), Foley’s teammate at Penn State, defeated him in the 2006 Met Amateur at Baltusrol. Marc Issler of Pine Barrens (N.J.), last year’s runner-up, is back for another try at the title. Also in the field is Duke University golf team captain Michael Quagliano of GlenArbor, who played in this year’s U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, along with Rondout’s Chris DeForest, one of the top freshmen in the Big Ten last year at the University of Illinois. Former Ike champion (2005) and 2006 MGA Player of the Year Andrew Giuliani of Van Cortlandt Park is also among the contenders, as is 15-year-old Cameron Wilson, one of the area’s best juniors.

Defending Champion Greg Rohlf.

Friar’s Head founder Ken Bakst, who won the 1997 U.S. Mid-Amateur, has the honor of competing on his home course for a title he won in 1996 in a classic final match at Nassau Country Club against defending champion Jerry Courville Jr. Other former Met Amateur winners in the field include 2008 MGA Senior Amateur champion Ron Vannelli of Metuchen (2005) and Peter Van Ingen of Meadow Brook (1981). Many eyes will also be on Huntington’s Joe Saladino, who leads the MGA Player of the Year points race coming into this event. Other top contenders include MGA Mid-Amateur champion Mike Reardon of Tuxedo and former NJSGA Amateur champion Al Small of Fairmount.

The Met Amateur is the MGA’s oldest championship, and was played for the first time in 1899 at Garden City Golf Club. It quickly became the country’s most distinguished regional amateur championship, and over the years it has been won by the likes of Walter Travis, Jerry Travers, Jess Sweetser, Willie Turnesa, Robert Gardner, Dick Siderowf, Frank Strafaci, George Zahringer, Johnson Wagner, and Jerry Courville Sr. and Jr., all top names in the history of local and national amateur golf.

The 106th Met Amateur begins on Thursday, August 7 with 36 holes of stroke-play qualifying, after which the top 16 finishers out of the starting field of 68 will move on to the match play portion of the championship. The first round of match play will take place on Friday morning, followed by the quarterfinals in the afternoon. The semifinals will begin at 12:00 on Saturday, and the 36-hole final will follow on Sunday.

A total entry of 728 golfers entered the Met Amateur, including 23 who earned exemptions into the championship. Aside from the exempt players, the remaining 45 competitors earned their place in the field at one of five sectional qualifying rounds held in late June and early July throughout the Met Area.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:58:46 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back