News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Re: Met Am - Friar's Head.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
Just heard that the owner of Friar's Head is playing in the Met Amateur.  Naturally, Friar's Head bans range finders, GPS devices, and doesn't have sprinkler heads.  You are welcome to use one of their 40 caddies, though.

I'll be you that the owner Ken Bakst has an excellent caddy.   Perhaps, he should be allowed to carry 15 clubs as well.   Don't you think he has a significant advantage?   

Just another example of the absurdity of banning range finders.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »
Just heard that the owner of Friar's Head is playing in the Met Amateur.  Naturally, Friar's Head bans range finders, GPS devices, and doesn't have sprinkler heads.  You are welcome to use one of their 40 caddies, though.

I'll be you that the owner Ken Bakst has an excellent caddy.   Perhaps, he should be allowed to carry 15 clubs as well.   Don't you think he has a significant advantage?   

This conspiracy has been going on for years and I am sick and tired of it. I am glad that it has finally been exposed. Ken Bakst negotiated with The Talmidge Family, negotiated with the banks, negotiated with the environmentalist, paid lawyers, risked his own capital, secured C&C as architects, hired an electrician from LA to design his fancy logo, hired Bill Kidd, negotaited with The Met .... all so that he could host this event at his club 10 years later and skip around the rules and win back his MetAm title. Where is the justice?

I think that guy Jamie Slonis is a cheat too for playing GAP events at Tavistock. Huntley keeps winning these WOLF games at MPCC. He looks a little shady too.  ::)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »
Mike I can see your mind is right for football season as well. I cannot wait for this great conspiracy to keep growing.

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »

I have never met Mr Bakst, but I'm sorry, this innuendo is absurd. And from what I've heard from the electrician from LA, I'd glady take any one of the caddies at FH over a range finder. I'm quite sure that the event will be a great success.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
What’s all this fuss about?

You are going to now play golf without toys.

Stop moaning and just play.

You could find that you may just enjoy yourselves

Please do not tell me that you can’t play without your toys!

Oh don’t forget if your game is poor you can always blame
the caddie and not your box of toys

Have Fun  - after all its Golf.

Well done Mr. Ken Bakst.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
The course looks to be holding up just fine. http://www.mgagolf.org/.

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »
Is that Rudy's son playing out of Van Cortlandt - Is that a muni?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

You never fail to mispresent someone's view to serve your agenda.

I have NO agenda with respect to this matter.

As to misrepresenting, perhaps you forgot what you typed.

I'm a divot-replacing nazi.   But, if you're going to host a tournament, let the players enjoy their practice round.  You don't need to watch over them like a hawk.....

If the players don't exercise good judgement and behave poorly, you DO need to watch over them like a hawk.

However, I'm not suprised to see that you're kissing up to someone who could be useful for you.   

That's funny and a good indication of your ignorance on this issue.
Ken and I have been at swords point on a number of issues that aired on this site.

As to Ken's usefulness to me, it's minimal at best.
I don't need Ken for ANYTHING and he doesn't need me for ANYTHING.
Obviously you don't have a clue and don't know what you're talking about, which isn't unusual.

Next time you're playing, I'll be all over you after every hole to make sure you repair your divots (even though you probably would) and see how that makes you feel.   

Not only do I repair my divots, but I repair others as well.
The same applies for ball marks and my particular pet peeve, which are tees that are hammered into the tee.  I remove every one of them that are between the tee markers on every tee.

You should aspire to conduct yourself half as well as I do.

No one is suggesting that someone should not repair their divots. 

Reread your quote above, it conflicts with this statement.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

Friar's Head established this policy before opening day, and long before the MET Am was awarded to Friar's Head.

I'll be you that the owner Ken Bakst has an excellent caddy.   

All of the caddies at Friar's Head are pretty good.
Competitors have the choice of taking a Friar's Head caddy.

Perhaps, he should be allowed to carry 15 clubs as well.   

Don't you think he has a significant advantage?   

No more so than any other competitor where a tournament is held at their home course.

Are you suggesting that he be forced to withdraw from the tournament ?
[/b]

That's your opinion, one that's not universally shared.

It would seem to be yet another concession that the USGA has made to the equipment manufacturers.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »
Be curious to know why George Zahringer did not play in this year's event.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »
Matt:

Total Speculation, but I'd imagine it could be one of the following:

1) Scheduling conflict on the qualifiers (btw Senior events, inc. US Senior Open, etc.)

2) Bear Stearns related issues. George has a highly successful wealth management biz and my guess he may have switched to a new firm??

Lots of very talented MGA amateurs are severely handcuffed by scheduling issues with having the Met Am played in August.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

SPDB

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »
Steve:
Zahringer ended up at Deutsche Bank.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »
Mike I can see your mind is right for football season as well. I cannot wait for this great conspiracy to keep growing.

Tiger, that was a great day at Friars Head.   And our young caddie was excellent, I never once felt obliged to pull out my SkyCaddy or laser.  ;D ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back