News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Willie Campbell's wife, Georgina!
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
"TE
What a vivid imagination. Have you considered a career in Hollywood writing screenplays?"

Mr. MacWood:

When you've lived it and generationally, and when so many of these people and places are your old haunts and your old friends, it probably doesn't take imagination at all. It's not much more than simply understanding and appreciating the facts and realities of the worlds of my parents and grandparents and great grandparents which thanfully I finally have come to understand and appreciate so much better with study and consideration and even some valuable oral connection. All it really takes is sort of just keeping your eyes and ears open. Believe me, the more you say, the more I can appreciate why you may not understand that and why you must think it's merely imaginative or imagination. It isn't.  ;)

It's too bad you can't understand and appreciate these things and that most all of this seems to be nothing much more to you than some cold competition about who has read or researched more. It isn't just that way. To me at this point there has been that and still is to some extent but I would prefer now to just go to these places so many of which I haved lived with and through with my families and friends and just drink it all in again directly from the tactile source through which it all emanated in the first place. I could never do this the way it seems you do through just the Internet and indirect old magazines and books. I've got to go back to these places and see them, touch them and particularly feel them. In my opinion, there is no better way, no other way to do it well and do it right, there just isn't, Mr. MacWood.

But again, at this point, after all you've said for so long, I appreciate why you may not understand this---I really do, and I hope there are no hard feelings of any kind about it all.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:28:28 PM by TEPaul »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »
TE
The next thing you will be telling us is that you dated the widow Campbell and golfed with Herbert Leeds....or was it the other way around?

I knew you were old but I had no idea you were that old.

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »
Mr. MacWood:

I think the good news, and it really is good news, is that throughout today, anyway, the exchanges between us have most certainly not been of any attacking personal nature, and I don't expect them to be in the future. They have all been about information and documentation. I'm offering evidence that comes from this club itself which is and is supported by the club's own contemporaneous records. You, on the other hand, seem to be offering one single bit of information on Campbell's brief participation which you cannot or will not support with anything other than you say you believe it. I'm afraid that's just not good enough for anyone.

Most of your recent posts are routinely comical and deflective and completely nonproductive and so I don't see much reason to continue.

Again, if you have something solid and significant re Campbell and Myopia, even some old indirect newspaper article, just produce it. There is no other way for you, at this point, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:41:40 PM by TEPaul »

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »
Mr. Paul,

I grew up in the area and attended a rival high school of yours,Belmont Hill, and understand much of the blue blood Boston history. I used to drive by Myopia each summer on the way to camp in Ipswich. I don't know what the railroad lines looked like back then, which is why I asked. I look forward to playing  there on one of my next trips back home as Myopia is in my top ten that I want to play.It seems like a fascinating place, never mind the golf course.

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »
Mr. Leary:

I'd say Myopia is one of those handful of famous old American course where one gets the feeling everything about it, the entire aura, including the clubhouse is like taking a trip back in time.

I remember Belmont Hill School well. We (St Mark's) played them in basketball and football at least. That school had a basketball player back in the late 50s and early 60s that made us look like a bunch of Lilliputians. Toby Kimball was his name, about 6'8". I don't think we even tried to stop him much less could. We always thought Belmont Hill had "ringers". You know what a "ringer" is, Mr. Leary? But one year we got our revenge on Belmont Hill in football. I think it was 1961. We had a halfback who was the captain but in his senior year to say he bloomed was a massive understatement. I don't believe they stopped him at all. Every time he got the ball he scored, maybe five or six or seven touchdowns and it got to be a joke so we took him out. I remember looking at those films the next week and after---totally unbelievable---I have never seen a footballer do what he did at Belmont Hill. He must have gained over 300-400 yards before the half was done. Then he was gone and it was back to getting crushed by Belmont Hill again. A bunch of ringers, I tell you Mr. Leary, a bunch of real ringers. If you want to play Myopia, I can't promise anything but maybe I can help out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back