News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: The Ebb and Flow of GCA
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »
Mr. Jeffrey D:

You may not believe this at first blush but I've just finished listening to this knockout old song, by, I think, Patty Paige called "This Is Just the Beginning of Love."

Right now I have tears in my eyes and I feel like I want to kiss and hug and make up with everyone and anyone I ever insulted on here.

Can you believe it? I think it's a miracle!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:20:19 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
Drat it to hell----end of miracle!

Philip Young, sounds like you've been doing too much authoring lately. Are you insane? I'd rather sit on a stool and hold hands with Osama bin Laden than Moriarty!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:37 PM »
How about the four of you simply being NICE to one another for a change?

The idea behind this thread is as immature as all of the arguing that has taken place and you all should be embarrassed by it yet your comments on this thread show none.

When my two sons were young my wife discovered the perfect discipline for them that maybe the four of you ought to try. She would make them sit on stools facing each other. They would have to hold hands and keep saying over and over, "I love my brother... I love my brother..." It was wonderful torture and today they are best of friends.

Humility... it's a great word and even a better attribute when practiced. It's time to start.

Phil
A good thought, and not the first time its been suggested, but it ain't happening. I'm wondering if there may be some pre-programmed animosity between two Irishmen and two Wasps...by the way we Irish know what to do with a stool.

Drastic measures are called for.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:46:29 PM by Tom MacWood »

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 11:50:54 PM »
Honestly, I don't think 6 months is going to do much of anything between the four of you. It reminds me of the M*A*S*H episode when Hawkeye and BJ make a bet that Hawk can't go 24 hours without making a joke. At the end, when the 24 hours had passed, he went on a retroactive joke spree covering everything he has seen the previous day but couldn't say anything. Six months?? My gosh, the thought of what could happen when they get back!!! ;) ;D

IMHO, it's not a must for everyone to get along. We are all different and have differing viewpoints. We can, however, be civil despite how we feel about each other.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:31 AM »
Jeffrey D. Brauer, you old double dog in the noonday sun, you've buffaloed me for how many years now? I never realized you were some damn English aristocrat hiding somewhere in the American desert (or is it dessert?).

What the hell did you do over there to have to escape to the colonies? Did you nail your best friend's wife by a mistake and get caught at it like some red-assed rabbit with a gimpy leg?

Now I fear I might wake up in the middle of the night and start laughing again. My wife will just slug me mercilessly as she usually does when the dog has too much wine and snores loudly and I won't get no rest. I need it, you know, to post on here as much as I do to defend these fine clubs and their reputations and their legends from the constant assaults of these despicatual interlopers with no fucking manners.

Hey, look, how would you like to go with me back to England in about a month and a half? We can check out some architecture in the heathlands. I'm having brunch with the Queen and I'll consider buying you a really serious indulgence to atone for whatever you did over there and you can consider going home again.

Dear Mr. Paul,

I am in reciept of yours of the 31st.  I appreciate your offer to go back to England and have lunch with the Queen, but I doubt she will entertain an audience with the likes of me.  The offer of indulgence may just fit the bill, thank you.

Sadly, the "nailing" as you call it was no mistake.  They caught me in the barn in a little tryst with the foreign girl they hired to train the horses.  I found out it is social suicide to "sleep below your class."  One wag told me it would have been better had I been caught sleeping with the horse instead of an illegal alien.  First, its the kind of fetish they more freely accept, and second, the horse was at least an accredited thouroghbred.

I've been banished by the queen to an outpost called Texas.  To reduce my "status" to a level where sleeping with pretty young things is acceptable, I have become a - gasp! - golf course architect.  Sadly, (I think) there are more pretty young things here than there are golf courses to build.

The heat has exceeded 100 degrees (F) for over 20 days this month - more than in the last century in the old country.  The natives are friendly, however, and that counts a lot for a person in my new, lowered circumstances.  I used to paint english landscapes.  I am having a hard time getting the knack for drawing cactus and tumbleweed, but am confident I will master the task soon.  Of course, I have had to switch flasks, from scotch to tequila.  Not fond of the worms.

I trust my narrative hasn't proven too boring.  I know how you dislike those with what they call "verbal diarrea" and feel its positively criminal for anyone to waste so many words as I in a missive.  Also, I know you probably don't give......how do the natives here say it?  Oh yes, I believe "an airborne fornication" about the problems I am facing, but I wanted to fill you in on my situation, just in case.

I trust all is well in Quaker country with you and the missus.  Once again, thanks for your kind offer of a trip to England.  If its all the same, and not too much of an inconvenience, perhaps I could just sleep on your couch for a bit instead?  Its wrong to ask, but I am desparate.  And, I think you actually own a barn and horses, but after relaying the story above, well........I doubt you would seriously entertain that option.

Keeping a stiff upper......lip,

Jeffrey D. "Tex" Brauer
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:43:22 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DMoriarty

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 01:32:17 AM »
Honestly, I don't think 6 months is going to do much of anything between the four of you. It reminds me of the M*A*S*H episode when Hawkeye and BJ make a bet that Hawk can't go 24 hours without making a joke. At the end, when the 24 hours had passed, he went on a retroactive joke spree covering everything he has seen the previous day but couldn't say anything. Six months?? My gosh, the thought of what could happen when they get back!!! ;) ;D

IMHO, it's not a must for everyone to get along. We are all different and have differing viewpoints. We can, however, be civil despite how we feel about each other.

David, you may be right that a break would not do us any good.  The week off certainly didn't do much for TEPaul.   But it at least it would give the website a well-deserved break.   And it would free up our time to actually try and be productive.    And it might not be such a bad thing for some of us to step outside and smell the flowers.   

Of course any of us could step aside at any time, and MacWood and I have for quite a spell.   The trouble with this was that the insults and misrepresentations kept coming.   And, IMO, these two controlled a large portion of the cga agenda -- These guys are not much more than grade-school bullies trying to control the playground, and if no one stands up to them the website suffers. 

But the website also suffers when we stand up to them.   If we were all gone for a while the website could take a break from this garbage.

And who knows, maybe in the interim Wayne will pay up with that round at Merion he owes me and during our round we will become fast friends.  As you know, I can be a real charmer face-to-face.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
Just a quick updates from the sidelines:

So far its 4 yeas and 7 nays on whether they should be booted.  So for now they stay I guess....unless Ran steps in or something!!

John Moore II

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »
I really try not to get into the middle of these happenings, but I frankly think they are foolish. Grown men acting like children and fighting like girls. How about men start acting like men. The simple fact that each of you are able to write such papers and statements tells me you are all educated, even though in each others eyes, possibly misguided. Why don't the four of you simply act like the educated people you are and just end the personal  assaults and take to attacking only the researched materials? That would solve any of the problems we may currently be facing.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
"Grown men acting like children and fighting like girls."

I much prefer watching girls fight.  Like Seinfeld said, at some point during the fight they might kiss.

PThomas

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
"Grown men acting like children and fighting like girls."

I much prefer watching girls fight.  Like Seinfeld said, at some point during the fight they might kiss.

and Pederman added "I am smack dab in the middle of a good old fashioned catfight! :D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Burzynski

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Just do what I do and skip the annoying and petty posts...that is the beauty of belonging to a forum, I don't have to read something objectionable or petty, whereas in real life I might have to listen to an objectionable opinion.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 02:34:32 PM »
I really try not to get into the middle of these happenings, but I frankly think they are foolish. Grown men acting like children and fighting like girls. How about men start acting like men. The simple fact that each of you are able to write such papers and statements tells me you are all educated, even though in each others eyes, possibly misguided. Why don't the four of you simply act like the educated people you are and just end the personal  assaults and take to attacking only the researched materials? That would solve any of the problems we may currently be facing.

The male ego is a powerful, stupid thing. Nice idea, though.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
"I'm wondering if there may be some pre-programmed animosity between two Irishmen and two Wasps..."

MacWood, it seems like you're worse than Mucci with your inability to get anything right. Wayne's mother was a full-blooded English aristocrat. Perhaps I should say she was warm-blooded because the word in the parlors back then was Wayne's father was actually an Armenian street-fighter who was just happening by Mrs Morrison's castle in Yorkshire and caught her eye one evening in the loaming. As for me, I'm half Jewish and half Lebanese and that explains perfectly why I'm so incredibly smart without even trying.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:16:54 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
".....and just end the personal  assaults and take to attacking only the researched materials? That would solve any of the problems we may currently be facing."

J. Kenneth Moore:

I am going to keep that remark and theme squarely in front of me for the rest of my stay on here! Could you give me some guidance on how forcefully I can attack the researched material?  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
At some point, someone is going to have to step in and put an end to it as it seems pretty clear that it won't happen on its own.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »

I hope the 'tom' buys the 'tan' some flowers
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Moore II

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:43 PM »
".....and just end the personal  assaults and take to attacking only the researched materials? That would solve any of the problems we may currently be facing."

J. Kenneth Moore:

I am going to keep that remark and theme squarely in front of me for the rest of my stay on here! Could you give me some guidance on how forcefully I can attack the researched material?  ;)

I suppose you can attack them as forcefully as you want. But at some point in the past little while, the attacks went from material to character. I'm not saying you started them that way, I frankly don't know, I only read about 6 pages of the endless "Unmentionable" course posts. But at some point, people began to pretty much insult each other and attack the others personally. And thats not what academics do.

PThomas

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »
umm, Kalen, that picture wasn't exactly the type of catfight I was thinking of.... ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

TEPaul

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
"But at some point, people began to pretty much insult each other and attack the others personally. And thats not what academics do."

Well then, shit, Kenny, I guess you've just never known all the "academics" have you?  ;)

PS:

I'm sort of "getting my face shaped" for a comprehensive thread on here that might be entitled something like "Intellectual Arrogance in Golf Architecture Analysis" or "The Haves and The Havenots and What Golf and Golf Architecture Can Do or Does Do With Them."

I may even supplement it with another side-by-side thread that asks the question; "Who is the most intellectually arrogant participant GOLFCLUBATLAS.com has ever seen and does he deserve to be?"  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:50:02 PM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »
"But at some point, people began to pretty much insult each other and attack the others personally. And thats not what academics do."

Well then, shit, Kenny, I guess you've just never known all the "academics" have you?  ;)

PS:

I'm sort of "getting my face shaped" for a comprehensive thread on here that might be entitled something like "Intellectual Arrogance in Golf Architecture Analysis" or "The Haves and The Havenots and What Golf and Golf Architecture Can Do or Does Do With Them."

I may even supplement it with another side-by-side thread that asks the question; "Who is the most intellectually arrogant participant GOLFCLUBATLAS.com has ever seen and does he deserve to be?"  ;)

Great idea, Tom.   Start the thread.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »
umm, Kalen, that picture wasn't exactly the type of catfight I was thinking of.... ;)

Sorry,

I tried, best I could find.   Perhaps these guys need to show a little bit more of that than actual fighting.....

And before you say it, get your mind out of the gutter, I meant showing a little bit of love to each other not what you were thinking!!  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:07 AM »
I have been inspired by the recent posts and style of Mr Jeffrey D. Brauer and henceforth, like he is, I will be a study in politeness and grace. Henceforth anyone I refer to on here will be addressed as "Mr." or "Master" (everyone with the exception of the Pissboy because Mr. or Master Pissboy just ain't right-soundin'). The courtliness of me and my posts will astound all. It may even serve to elevate this discussion group to a level that will become famous in the history and evolution of the world-wide INTERNET! Frankly, it may even help to further the cause of world peace and understanding.

My language and demeanor will be impeccible and when confronted by fucking scumbags and M-f..ing jerk-offs I will merely turn the other cheek or walk away politely in a manner that will delight the very essence of Christendome itself.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:37:14 AM by TEPaul »

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
Saddest thread ever.

In case I miss the vote, my vote is no; I'd rather have 4 passionate posters who occasionally go overboard (and mostly only toward each other) than lose the valuable ideas that each bring to the table.

It's a real shame they can't learn to coexist peacefully. I've met 3 of the 4 and consider each a friend and kindred spirit.

Just sad.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »
Buck Up Georgie Boy, we ain't going nowhere.

But just wait til you see my new manners. They'll be so immaculate they're gonna blow your tee shirt off.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:44:35 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
Please excuse my momentary slippage with that unattractive informality. I meant to address you as Mr. Pazin.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back