News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

Pres. Bush to Dallas - Where to play?
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »
According to this, when President Bush returns to Texas, he'll divide his time between the Crawford ranch and a new home to be built in Dallas.  So where should the 43rd President play golf?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/0401108dnmetlaurabush.4dd71749.html

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Pres. Bush to Dallas - Where to play?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
The newly revamped Colonial CC in Ft Worth won't be a bad place to spend a day.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
Which ever club doesn't mind the inevitable disturbance caused by the required Secret Service detail, I presume.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »
Z Boaz......Keeton Park......LB Houston.  All good munis.  Well, actually, bad munis.  He can become a man of the peeps. ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
How about Cowboys and Pine Dunes?  How about a Day trip to pecan valley?  What do people know about Cedar Crest?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
Jay,

DA Wiebring and Steve Wolfard redid Cedar Crest a few years ago and its pretty nice.  They called it a restoration, but there was some rerouting of the old Tillie plan to fit in a driving range, and many of the features look modern enough that I doubt a hard core "restorationist" would say it qualifies.

Its been well recieved, though.  If Mr. Bush was to go the public route, Cowboys would probably be a choice for him.  Hey, I would give him a guided tour!

Pine Dunes would be a drive, but worth it to me.  For him, I am not sure.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
He should go to the library and do the reading he never did in life. I know what a golfer is and Bush is no golfer.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »
tell me more about cowboys and pine dunes...

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
He used to go over to Ridgewood in Waco which is just 10 minutes from Crawford.Talk about a hidden gem,it sits on the bluffs overlooking the lake and was a Plummer design I believe.I go down there 5or 6 times a year.Justin Leonard won the SWC tourney there. In Dallas,I would guess Brook Hollow,Dallas,Northwood or Lakewood.  Jay,you will play Cowboys New Years.Very nice except it has summer (bermuda) greens so not as much fun in winter as the bent courses where you will also play.Pine Dunes is a Pinehurst looking place in East Texas.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »
What about austin CC?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:44:18 PM by Mike Mosely »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:49:55 PM »
Mike B, thanks for the tip, but I have no problem with dormant.  I played Rawls course in dormant season and loved it.  Mike M, isn't that a private course?  A Pete Dye?

How windy will it be over new years?

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:12:33 PM »
Austin cc is two hours away from Crawford,four from Dallas.Jay,spring is the windy season.In Jan it will be still and 70 for a week followed by a cold windy front that knocks golf out for a few days.Some years I hardly miss a weekend and others it seems like half the weekends are too cold.50 and sunny is my limit.Since he doesnt run anymore,wonder if Bush will join locally?A lot of speculation here about where he will live.My street wants him because it would increase security.He lived a few streets over before he took the Gov job.People can say what they want,but he is an extremely nice man.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
My college roommate was his next door neighbor.  I roomed with Chris Chappell...his dad founded Tom's of maine.  and they said he was a nice man and much smarter than the way he's painted by people and the media.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:24:30 PM by Jay Flemma »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »
What about Preston Trail?  Seems like the perfect choice.

Bart

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 08:29:23 PM »
I doubt a politician would touch the Trail;it is men only.Also a little more serious golf than I would guess he likes.Plus the waiting list has been running a few years.

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 08:54:12 PM »
Our pro at Prairie Dunes came from Preston Trail and just raves about it. I don't know much about the course, but it sounds like a place I would love.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »
Do any of the prisons in Texas have golf courses?

Brad Huff

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 09:04:17 PM »
I doubt a politician would touch the Trail;it is men only.Also a little more serious golf than I would guess he likes.Plus the waiting list has been running a few years.

If I'm not mistaken, Preston Trails told Emmit Smith "No thank you".  I've also heard stories that Mickey Mantle used to play there naked just for the fun of it back when women couldn't even get through the gate.

Pine Dunes is a fabulous course.  We golf coaches used to load up about 24 of us and do a mock Ryder Cup every year.  Pine Dunes was in our rotation until they became too expensive.  Great course winding through the pines of East Texas.  

Luckenbach CC is really nice (that's for the Texas folks...)

I'd play Vaquero if I were him.  I've never been invited, but would love to play there.

mike_beene

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »
Preston Trail is nice but its no Prarie Dunes.You really can't play naked there because there are houses on 4or 5 holes.Mantle had a lot of pain and some addiction issues he managed by going to the course all the time.He even had a key to the gate so he could get in and walk on Mondays.Some people ,including Lou ,really like Vaquero.Why would you play there when you can get into one of the old clubs.Also,the old clubs will be a 10 minute drive from his house.Why drive to another county to play a real estate course.Several of our members joined and came back after six months.In terms this board can understand,courses Coore and Crenshaw continue to work on or a Fazio with a chef at the 10th tee...?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »
Which ever club doesn't mind the inevitable disturbance caused by the required Secret Service detail, I presume.

Since it's a smaller detail for an ex-President, those guys will barely be noticed.  They will be out there, but they certainly don't get in the way.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 10:08:58 PM »
Hopefully whatever club he joins won't ask him to serve on the green committee!  ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
Phil,

Whaddya think hes gonna do, try to have the course bombed?

I agree that he will probably stay close to HP, either at Dallas CC, or Brookhollow.  Next closest would be Lakewood.  But, what do I know.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 01:14:33 AM »
Jeff, not unless the Green Committee has Oil.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:01 AM »
I doubt a politician would touch the Trail;it is men only.

Like ANGC. 

Steve Hyden

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »
Is he going to end the Iraq war by then?  Didn't W recently, with misty eyes, foreswear golf as his own special way of supporting the troops?  Or will the self-imposed moratorium be lifted when he blessedly leaves the White House?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back