News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Painswick, Gloucestershire (Pics and comments on all 18 holes)
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 07:22:40 AM »
Remembering golf at Painswick is a bit like remembering reading "The Hobbit" years ago.  The scale is just a bit askew and it seems somewhat like a dream set in the Cotswolds.

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2010, 01:19:05 AM »
Great post, I'll have to add this one to the list of quirky courses I need to go play.
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

James Boon

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »
Remembering golf at Painswick is a bit like remembering reading "The Hobbit" years ago.  The scale is just a bit askew and it seems somewhat like a dream set in the Cotswolds.

;D Very good Bill!

Michael (or should I say Pup) and Charlie,

Thanks for the kind words and for bumping this thread. Anyone who find themselves in this part of the World really should give consideration to a quick 18 round Painswick Beacon!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and for bumping this thread. Anyone who find themselves in this part of the World really should give consideration to a quick 18 round Painswick Beacon!

Jason Topp & I are going to try to do just that on the morning before our B&B round.  The first tee is reserved for seniors from 8-9:30 on Thursdays, so I need to find out if we can start prior to 8AM.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 06:07:27 PM »

Jason Topp & I are going to try to do just that on the morning before our B&B round.  The first tee is reserved for seniors from 8-9:30 on Thursdays, so I need to find out if we can start prior to 8AM.

Be sure to stay in the Falcon Inn, it's only five minutes in "downtown" Painswick, and maybe 400 years old.

Paul Gray

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
Bump.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2014, 03:16:07 AM »
Just indulged myself with a stroll through James' photos ahead of taking my design colleagues from European Golf Design down to Painswick this coming Thursday. Both James and The Yank can be relied upon to selflessly put together a wonderful photo set for the rest of us to enjoy. Thanks James.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the culture shock that Painswick will impart on my colleagues. I'm expecting profanities and sideways glances when I point them up the hill on the 1st!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back