News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

I recently had the opportunity of an early morning round at Painswick. I’m sure some of you are now well aware of this course hidden away in the Cotswolds as I believe GCA have held an event there and also thanks to Paul Turners thread related to the course from some years back, resurrected thanks to Art Fullers directory. As I’m still fairly new on here, if you feel Painswick has been discussed enough then please stop me, but I love this place so much I couldn’t help but take a whole stack of photos. Here they are your enjoyment…

Hole 1
An uphill par 4 of around only 220 yards!
The fairway is left at a semi rough length to stop the ball returning to your feet as the slope is so steep, and there is OOB both right and to the left in the form of a graveyard.

Once the top of the hill is achieved the ground then gives way to the remnants of some of the old quarry workings that form the main hazards around the course, as there are no bunkers. I believe this is because the course is over common ground, which means that people walking their dogs, especially early in the morning are almost more of a hazard than the quarries…

The green, as most of them on the course is not big, and there is a little runoff to the front so anyone going long to avoid the quarry may have a tricky little chip back.

Looking back from behind the green and it becomes evident how far one has climbed in one hole, and the view that therefore is to be enjoyed…

Hole 2
A 330 odd yard par 4, with a drive over the first green and with quarries threatening the drive on both the left and the right. As we will discover later on the fourteenth, this is a shared fairway.

View from a drive up the right

View from a drive up the left

Just to keep you on your toes, the left side quarry continues around behind the green

Looking back from behind the green and it becomes clear that we have again been playing uphill, though a little less steeply than on the first

Hole 3
Downhill this time with a par 4 and a green around 285 yards away so the temptation is to let one rip, but a more significant OOB quarry is on the right, and the land to the left runs away into trees and the rough. Another shared fairway, this time with the thirteenth

View from a drive down the left

View of the approach to the green from the centre of the fairway, showing the small hump and hollow in place of a bunker…

View from behind the green

I shall hopefully continue posting photos tomorrow.

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:21:35 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

Re: Painswick, Gloucestershire (Holes 1 to 3 to start off with)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
Painswick, oh my!  ;D

Your photos do bring back great memories of little Painswick with all those fun shots.  The GCA Ryder Cup (early Buda Cup adventure) was one of the most fun golf experiences of my career.  The BBC actually sent crews out for "film at 11," and the club hosted a dinner party that featured GB&I Walker Cup captain Peter McAvoy as after dinner speaker.

I still wear my Painswick club tie with pride at all Buda dressy functions.  ;)

In 2005, en route to the Open at St Andrews, I took my wife by Painswick for a round and she could not believe it was so much fun.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your very good photos, James.  Thanks for all the effort.  Someone was hitting the ball pretty well on those first holes!

By the way, in the last photo, taken from the 3rd green looking backward to the tee, that's also the 13th fairway you're looking at, with the green tucked off to the right.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »
James

The are some of us on this website that can never get enough of Painswick.  Bravo and keep the pictures and commentary coming!

We held BUDA II at Painswick in 2004, and 30+ GCAers attended.  A great time was had by all, even (particularly?) me when I overshot the 2nd.  The attached picture shows two well known architects studying my predicament closely to see if they wanted to add such a feature to some of their future designs.

http://www.painswickgolf.com/gallery.php?d=20040615&i=Overclubbedat2nd.JPG&o=

Rich

PS--the course looks in great shape.  When I've played it it has been a bit bare.  Is it as lush as it seems?

rfg

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
I went on the Painswick website per Rich's link above and clicked on the second set of photos.  One photo is of the tee shot on par 5 #8 and the caption is, "Mind the Coffin!"

The Coffin is a 40 yard long trench-like grassy depression down the right side of #8 which shares its fairway with #9, the returning par 5.  Somehow during one of my rounds I managed to pull hook my second on #9 into the Coffin.   :o

There were several passersby on the adjoining public footpath, and immediately the cry went up:

"He's in the Coffin!" 

"He's in the Coffin!" 

The sound of this cry echoed around Painswick, and is clearly remembered to this day.  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »
bump for the newbies.  ;D

James Boon

Re: Painswick, Gloucestershire (Holes 4 to 6 added)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
Just realized I missed out the names of the first three holes, which I should include as they are all part of the experience:
Hole 1 “Attack”
Hole 2 “Battlefield”
Hole 3 “Outlook”

Hole 4 “Breach”
Just under 300 yards and its uphill all the way on this short par 4. This is the tee shot from a narrow stretch of ground, crossing a public road from the back tee and with the twelfth hole crossing this one from left to right. Other than that the main hazard is a path that runs along the right hand side of the fairway.

It all narrows for the approach shot to a green set within the trees

The green, showing the rolling fairway just short and the rough ground all around

The green looking back from the back left hand side, the downhill twelfth runs from right to left in the background

Looking from behind the green, seen from the path to the fifth tee, and if you haven’t noticed it already, the beauty of this place really start to stand out!

Hole 5 “Castle”
Tee shot of 114 yards and I’ll let the picture do the talking. The line is on the marker post on top of the ridge just to the left edge of the pine tree...

After four short par 4s in a row we begin a run of three par 3s. The tee shot is played from the foot of the remains of the earthworks to an old Bronze age hill fort that sits upon Painswick Beacon, the hill we have been steadily climbing. Steps to the top are kindly provided

Upon reaching the top we have the joy of any blind shot, the excitement of seeing where the ball has ended up. I think the punchbowl green has a major influence but I seem to always have hit a good shot? I’d love to spend a little while watching other players play to this hole to see if it really is a case of hit it over the hill and the green does the rest?

Looking back from behind the green

The earthworks for the hill fort seen from behind the green

and also the trig point at the top of the hill, that sits immediately behind and above the sixth tee

Hole 6 “Well”
200 yard par 3 and reputed to be one of the best par 3s in the country according to Henry Longhurst. Its certainly one of my favourites!

The low morning sun didn’t help the photo so a detail of the green as seen from the tee. This shows the hollow short of the green from which a lot of people will find themselves pitching and the rough bank guarding the hole short right

However, it seems slightly better to miss right, just above the rough bank from where there is a relatively simple chip shot

A view back from behind the green, with dog walkers visible near the tee.

Cheers

James

ps Bill, Coffin coming soon! I must admit that I hadn't realised that the ball would be showing up in the pictures? Most of the time I was playing well, managing 4 birdies in the round I seem to recall, though the putt on the second was for a 5 after a visit to the right hand quarry, and I missed it!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:22:08 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
Bugger, the subject didn't change? Can anyone please point me in the right direction on that front?

Cheers

James

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
James- These are some of the best and most comprehensive of 'our' lovely Painswick. Thanks, I am looking forward to the next set.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony Ristola

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
James,
Great stuff.
Looking forward to the remaining holes.

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »
James

excellent.  I just love the green setting on #4, and #5 and #6 speak for themselves.  #5 for quirk, and #6 for quality.

Hint about #7.  Don't hit a draw with a right to left wind, as the edge of humanity is very close to the left side of the par-3 green.

The views from the top are fantastic.  I recommend them to anyone, even if you elect to drive to the top rather than golf your way there.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

Re: Painswick, Gloucestershire (Holes 1 to 6 to start off with)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
Another bump for the newbies  ;D 

James Bennett, when did you make the hejira to Painswick, and how are things in the new Casa Bennett?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:47:58 PM by Bill_McBride »

James Bennett

Re: Painswick, Gloucestershire (Holes 1 to 6 to start off with)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
Another bump for the newbies  ;D 

James Bennett, when do you make the hejira to Painswick, and how are things in the new Casa Bennett?

Bill

played at Painswick in April 2006 (or was it May?) with Sean Arble, on my way to a wedding in Leeds/St Tropez (long story, long wedding/great wedding).  I was blessed with a glorious day with Sean, which meant the panoramic views from the course were outstanding.  What I take from Painswick is how a limited spend can provide entertaining and fun golf, especially in a matchplay situation.  Painswick is not a strokeplay course.

Casa Bennett on the Parade at Norwood is fantastic.  We have the McBride suite waiting for you.  Funny thing, my bride and I were looking at an overnight stay the other day on a web-site, and we both preferred to stay at the new Casa.  Thought the new Casa was better than the B&B!

Golf has started again after three months shifting house/fixing up the new house.  The scores are predictable.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Boon

Re: Painswick, Gloucestershire (Holes 1 to 9)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »
Right time for a few more pictures…

Hole 7 “Chapel”
150 yards, down hill all the way, including a rather narrow green that slopes away from you

The green though narrow, is surrounded by slopes that will kick the ball back towards the green

Hole 8 “Portway”
490 yards par 5 that shares its fairway with the ninth coming back the other way. Plenty of rough ground to carry on the tee shot from the back tee and also the “Coffin” which is to be avoided…

Though there is plenty of room to the left, it will leave you with a shot from a lie with a ball well below your feet (for us right handers anyway). A drive down the right is therefore probably the best option though there are hazards to be avoided. Firstly the “Coffin”, seen below, but also what at first appears to be a copse of trees, but on closer inspection, these trees are actually all within a small hollow, probably further old quarrying works…

Looking back towards the tee, with the ninth green in the distance on the right. The logs in the “Coffin” are I assume to try to prevent bikers (don’t forget its common ground) from using it as a natural ramp which would cause further erosion?

The approach to the green is blind

The green sits at the bottom of a slope down from the fairway, seen here from just short left of the green

The green from the left hand side, the approach is from the right

Hole 9 “Ramparts”
Though in today’s world of 500 yard par 4s, this hole does play as a par 5 of 460 odd yards and it is one of my favourite par 5s, I have to admit and not just because it gives a good chance of getting on in two! The drive is blind, back up the same slope just played down on the eighth. Here the best line is as on the previous hole up the right hand side, protected by out of bounds and thick rough. Though the ball will this time be above your feet, this gives the best angle of attack for the green.

The approach from the right offers a clear view of the green through all of the rough ground

If a safe drive or second is played up the left, the “Coffin” again comes into play and the approach is over the rough ground with trees also in the way

Any lay up is between the rough mounds, probably old quarry workings?

The green sits well, naturally surrounded by the rough ground and trees

Looking back from behind the green, towards the best angle of approach

So nine holes in and time for a recap for those not paying attention! Yes, par has gone 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5 but don’t worry it works! The par 4s, though short all offer something different regarding your options of laying up or going for the green. The par 3s played into, inside and then out of the hill fort all have different tee shots both visually and in the challenges they set. The par 5s are both in my mind strategically strong while offering plenty of excitement in the form of blind shots and the challenge the need to hit some good solid shots. It’s only been 2,560 odd yards which to a par of 35 is very short, but I like to think of this place as somewhere to put away the card and pencil and enjoy yourselves, or as a bloody good match play course! As the other James B says, its not a strokeplay course!

Cheers,

James

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:22:46 AM by James Boon »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
After you get over all the crazy blind shots and the conflicts between outgoing and incoming holes, two things about Painswick really stuck with me:

1.  Despite the odd combination of holes and the number of par-3's and short par-4's, there is a lot of variety to the course, and it's very testing for a good player (one shot at a time) even though it's under 5000 yards and so the target score is probably 6-8 shots lower than on a "regulation" layout.

2.  The course succeeds in spite of awkward construction, or perhaps even because of it.  For example, I can't imagine any architect building a green like the 8th ... down in a well, with extreme banks on two sides of it, and not tied into the natural contours well at all.  And yet it plays very well.  The third shot to the green requires precision to clear the steep downgrade at the front, but if you go a little long for safety the ball will take one hop and go on through.  And some of the other siutations around the green are so dire that you have to be VERY aggressive to try to get home or even close to home with your second shot ... there is no obvious place to play for.

The only indifferent hole on the outward nine is #7, every other hole was full of interest and amusement.  I am glad I did not have to assign a Doak scale rating to this course, because it is so different than anything else I don't know where I would have started.  It might just have received an asterisk and no number!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
Other than a little TLC, what makes this course any better or worse than Lincoln Park?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
I could understand anyone giving this a rating of between 1 and 9. I think the * is just perfect to be honest Tom. Painswick suffers a bit from condition athough these pics show it off at its best. I live 20 miles from Painswick (It has no water sprinklers) and we have only used the pop ups at my course for about 6 or 7 days this year, everything has pretty much come from the sky.
The birches seem to have grown a bit at the 9th, that 'look' is rather new and a little 'boat of gartenee'. I like the 7th, but  I guess its 7 or the 5th that get the canditates for 9th best hole on the front nine.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Paul_Turner

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
James.

Those are super photos (mine were pre-digital and are a bit small). 

I still think the curves, scars, humps and hollows at Painswick take some beating, there's a randomness and weirdness to the shapes that intentional golf course architecture can't match.

Bill

How did you shot come out of the Coffin?

PS I bet Ran would hate this course....he has a thing about narrowness ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:37:05 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »
James.

Bill

How did your shot come out of the Coffin?

I don't remember, Paul, but think I had to hit a short iron out due to pretty steep grassy slope.

The funny thing about the Coffin was the iron pipe that ran across it about half way, I think to discourage kids on bikes from cavorting up and down the slopes!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
Haven't been to either course but the 8th green at Painswick reminds me somewhat of the 3rd at Deal; the slope-bank leading into the surface.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/deal1.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:52:34 PM by Tony Ristola »

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
Gosh, the pix look a lot better than my recollections of the course.  I have only seen the place as a bog or with the grass not cut short enough to really get the feel of what should be going on.  Anybody fancy headin to Painswick before winter sets in?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »
The only indifferent hole on the outward nine is #7, every other hole was full of interest and amusement.  I am glad I did not have to assign a Doak scale rating to this course, because it is so different than anything else I don't know where I would have started.  It might just have received an asterisk and no number!

Surprised to hear you say that about #7, Tom, I thought it was a nice little semi punch bowl with that out of bounds road almost the left edge of the green.  Not as good perhaps as the other par 3s, but not a loser in my opinion.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 07:27:25 PM »

Surprised to hear you say that about #7, Tom, I thought it was a nice little semi punch bowl with that out of bounds road almost the left edge of the green.  Not as good perhaps as the other par 3s, but not a loser in my opinion.

Bill

I don't think #7 stands up too well with the other par 3s, but yer right, its an ok hole.  There seems to be a lot of love for the back to back par 5s - #s 8&9.  These are way too dangerous for my liking.  This business of hitting into people blindly is plain stupid.  When you nearly get hit three times and then find out these were ok shots something is wrong - you just can't share a fairway where both holes have a blind element - madness.  Though the 2nd shot for #9 is a corker. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Bennett

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »
As I said earlier, I love the run of 4, 5 and 6.  My next favourite run has just started - 9, 10 and 11.  And 15, 16 and 17 are also quite good, but third best.

I wonder whether the reason we like Painswick so much is, apart from the quirk, the low cost build, the lach of bunkers and the beautiful views, is the number of half-par holes.  Think of 1, 4, 10 and 16 as par 4-'s, throw in 6 and 12 as par 3+'s, add in 9 (my least best hole) and 10 as 5-'s and you have a challenging course.  Get out of position and you can't get near the pin.  I can only imagine the challenges when the weather has been fine for a week.

Of course, the course is playable by all as well, just not at the same time (crossing holes, especially 8 and 9, are hard hat territory).

Sorry Matt Cohn.  Whilst I saw Lincoln Park in San Fran from the roadway, I haven't played it so I can't compare it with Painswick.

I think the alternate rating to * for Painswick is either ? or NA (not applicable).

James B

edited - thanks Bill McB
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:23:05 PM by James Bennett »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »
As I said earlier, I love the run of 4, 5 and 6.  My next favourite run has just started - 9, 10 and 11.  And 15, 16 and 17 are also quite good, but third best.

I wonder whether the reason we like Painswick so much is, apart from the quirk, the low cost build, the lach of bunkers and the beautiful views, is the number of half-par holes.  Think of 1, 4, 10 and 16 as par 4-'s, throw in 6 and 12 as par 3+'s, add in 9 (my least best hole) and 10 as 5-'s and you have a challenging course.  Get out of position and you can't get near the pin.  I can only imagine the challenges when the weather has been fine for a week.

Of course, the course is playable by all as well, just not at the same time (crossing holes, especially 9 and 10, are hard hat territory).

Sorry Matt Cohn.  Whilst I saw Lincoln Park in San Fran from the roadway, I haven't played it so I can't compare it with Painswick.

I think the alternate rating to * for Painswick is either ? or NA (not applicable).

James B

You've got 8 and 9 confused with 9 and 10 - 8 and 9 are the par 5s that share a (dare we say it, dangerous) fairway.

I think it's so humorous that a 227 yard par 4 isn't considered a "half par!"  Every time I've played that hole, I've had to stop about half way up for a blow.  It's quite a hike!   As my caddie at St Andrews says about the Castle Course, "they don't need caddies, they need f**cking Sherpas!"  Ditto for Painswick.

I think the fun thing about Painswick is that a 4918 yard par 67 can be so much fun to play.  The approach into #8, the reverse punchbowl, and the tight second on #9, make the par 5s good holes where par is not to be dismissed.  To me, #3 was not an easy birdie despite its short length because of the tiny green.  Except for #11, are there any holes at Painswick where you are pretty irritated if you don't make birdie?

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »
I left out the other half-pars - the 5th and 10th.  These are the two short (120 yards or so) and blind holes played uphill into the fort.  Both with forgiving punchbowl greens.  Both involve that quickened gait as you climb the hill, to see where your ball actually finished.

I presume Bill's 227 yard par 4 that isn't a half-par hole is probably the first - steeply uphill with the green perched on the edge of minimg humps and hollows.  On the tee, the natural thought is birdie.  Smash a drive up towards the green (it is only 227 yards so you must get there, musn't you?  Walk up to the green, gradually gasping for air and finally viewing the green. 

"Oh my gosh, how am I going to get my ball near that pin?  And, if I fluff the pitch, I am down in the humps and hollows, and will be lucky to get a 5.  On a 227 yard par 4!"

Then you see your ball, perhaps 40 yards from the green.  Oh the shame, I must have only hit that 187 yards.  And, I might take 5.  Sandwedge from a not perfect lie, safely onto the green, two putts and we are looking for the next tee.

The first at Painswick is like a title fight between the unbackable champion and the little, feisty challenger.  Only when the first round starts does the realisation that this little feisty runt could prove a real challenge to our obviously superior manhood start to sink in.

I know Painswick is the most fun I have had playing a sub 5000 yard course.  Probably a sub 6000 yard course as well.  I haven't had the pleasure of some of the other classic near 6000 yards courses.  And, I can't remember if I made a single birdie!

James B

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back