News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Sydney Gets the Open
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
Sydney eyes Woods, takes Open until 2015

Peter Stone Sydney
July 29, 2008

SYDNEY, so long the poor cousin to Melbourne in the staging of major golf, has trumped its old adversary with the announcement yesterday that the Australian Open will be played in the Harbour City through to 2015.

That is, with the exception of 2011 when the tournament is scheduled to be played at Moonah Links on The Open course, which was specifically designed by five-times British Open champion Peter Thomson to host the open every other year. It is understood that Golf Australia is in negotiations with the Handbury group, owner of Moonah Links, to relinquish the 2011 championship so that it, too, can be played in Sydney. The reasoning is that Melbourne, which is the permanent home of the Australian Masters, is also hosting The Presidents Cup in 2011 and that holding three major golfing events within the space of a few weeks in the same city would be unviable.

Thomson said yesterday he was disappointed with GA's choice, despite describing NSW as "one of the great courses" in the country. "My view is that I'd prefer to see the open rotated between Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide," he said.

Golf Australia's tournament boss Trever Herden said that while several of the world's leading players would be approached to play this year, Tiger Woods remained a possibility in the future despite a $4 million appearance fee.

"Tiger cannot play this year because of his injury but I'm sure he'd love to return to Australia and play the Open," Herden said. "Every tournament in the world would love to have him in the field and we will consider him when he is fit again.

"We now have substantial backing and we are seeing the Open as an investment so it's not out of the question we would invite him to play.

"We will now be chasing players like Phil Mickelson (No. 2), Ernie Els (5), Sergio Garcia (7) and Vijay Singh (15)."

This year's open will be played at Royal Sydney from December 11-14 and Herden said negotiations had begun with former US Masters champion Mike Weir, twice US Open champion Retief Goosen, Camilo Villegas and Rocco Mediate to play at Royal Sydney.

World No. 4 Adam Scott and No. 6 Geoff Ogilvy are committed to the open and the only top Australian players missing will be Aaron Baddeley, whose wife Richelle is expecting their first child in November, and Greg Norman, who will be hosting his Shark Shootout in the US.

Prizemoney is again expected to be $1.65 million.

GA also announced yesterday that the 2009 championship would be played at the spectacular NSW Golf Club on the coastline at La Perouse in Sydney's southern suburbs, for the first time.

GA has struck a deal believed to be worth $15 million with the NSW Government and its Events NSW corporation for Sydney to become home to the open.

The Royal Sydney, The Australian, NSW and The Lakes courses would probably rotate hosting duties.

Yesterday's announcement was made jointly by NSW Premier Morris Iemma and GA chairman and interim chief executive Anne Lenagan at the NSW club.

"This is another big win for NSW, another big event," said Iemma in a pointed dig at Victoria.

"This tournament has a long history, a proud tradition and is synonymous with Sydney, combining tradition, heritage, history and an honour roll of golf's greatest champions."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:56:47 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

David Stamm

Re: Sydney Get the Open
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »

Golf Australia's tournament boss Trever Herden said that while several of the world's leading players would be approached to play this year, Tiger Woods remained a possibility in the future despite a $4 million appearance fee.

Jeez, that's an obscene fee.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »

Econ 101, Supply and Demand (advanced)

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:29:56 PM »
Thomson said yesterday he was disappointed with GA's choice, despite describing NSW as "one of the great courses" in the country. "My view is that I'd prefer to see the open rotated between Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide," he said.

Why does anyone listen to this guy anymore?  He has absolutely no credibility.  When the tournament was run his way, with his mates at the helm, play was called off twice in four years in perfect weather, they struggled to get a sponsor, and the tournament was on life support when the old regime ended and Paul McNamee arrived to clean up the mess.

The people whinging about the tournament not being held on good courses just don't get it.  It can't rotate between the cities because that can't get sufficient financial backing for that business model.  This deal is fantastic news for Australian golf because it guarantees the future of our national championship.  They can concentrate on growing and improving the tournament rather than having a fight on their hands every year just to make it happen at all.

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
Total prize money is 1.65 million (Australian?) dollars, and Woods will get
$4 million appearance? Is it me, or is this out of balance?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:45:19 PM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Sydney Gets the Open
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »
Chris,

I agree this is very good news.

What is amazing is that the press here automatically call Peter for a quote when anything controversial happens. Surely they have noticed thee are others with opinions worth reporting.
Ogilvy has shown he has a great perspective but when was the last time a regular press article quoted him?
Ideally the Open would move through Perth to Adelaide,Melbourne,Sydney and Brisbane - as it used to - but we all know that is not going to happen.

The issue about Melbourne is the players - Ogilvy and Parry at the head probably - want to play the best courses whether it be the Masters or the Open.

If the Masters was at Kingston Heath there would be a lot less moaning from the players about not playing the Open in Melbourne.
As good a host as Huntingdale has been it is the 10th best course in town and now we have so few tournaments they need to go to the best courses.

Ironically the Women's Open will follow Kingston Heath with Metro and Royal Melbourne.

Steve,

It is way out of balance but if he plays the prizemoney will be more than $1.65m - and its lucky your dollar is in the toilet because three or four million would have been six or eight of ours a couple of years ago.

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
The issue about Melbourne is the players - Ogilvy and Parry at the head probably - want to play the best courses whether it be the Masters or the Open.

If the Masters was at Kingston Heath there would be a lot less moaning from the players about not playing the Open in Melbourne.
As good a host as Huntingdale has been it is the 10th best course in town and now we have so few tournaments they need to go to the best courses.

Mike,

Does it really matter where the players want to play?  Surely it only makes a difference if the venue affects whether they play or not! 

Would there be one extra player worth watching if the Masters moved from Huntingdale to Kingston Heath?  I can't imagine there are many players who would play a Kingston Heath tournament but not a Huntingdale one, solely on the merits of the golf course.

Perhaps if the Masters went to Victoria it might lock in Ogilvy until he retires!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
Chris,

Ogilvy and Parry are two who would play - and don't now.
Parry had a choice between the Masters and the NZ Open and he chose NZ.

And surely it makes a difference to the perception of the quality of a tournament if it is on a top 25 course in the world. It might not make a difference to who plays - it is not going to hurt -  but it might elevate the perception of the quality of the tournament and that may make it easier to attract investment in the tournament.

If The Masters was at KH - I think there would be less of a player argument that the Open should be in Melbourne.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:17:36 AM »

As one who's lived in Melbourne for the best part of six years, I'm fairly disappointed with this decision. Obviously they are concerned about the quality of the fields, but I think they are doing a great disservice to the event and to Victoria.

I find the most compelling Oz opens have been the ones played on the traditional sandbelt courses like Victoria and Kingston and now we'll all have to wait several years before that happens again.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »
Matt

I don't think it is so much about the quality of the fields but rather the NSW is underwriting the tournament and securing its future.
It would be less disappointing for Victorians if the Masters was reborn at Kingston Heath and Victoria and made into a great event again.

Personally I thought one of the most compelling Opens was two years ago at Royal Sydney when Senden hit those two great shots on two of the most difficult finishing holes in the country to beat the US Open champion,Ogilvy and Appleby by a shot.
For me it was a better Open than 2000 at Kingston Heath or 2002 at Victoria.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
As one who's lived in Sydney for the best part of forty two years, I'm just happy that Melbourne’s great sandbelt courses don’t have to feel pressured to have reno work done in the vain, but missed placed hope, that they might get The Open.

I frankly couldn’t care less what courses the pros play. Anyway, Sydney golf needed some improvement. Now, Royal Sydney is better, The Lakes will soon be better & they have even gotten rid of that tongue of rough in front of the 18th at NSW. (Even if they do have to re-do the green). ::)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »
C'mon Andrew - surely you'll venture out to watch the pro's at NSW ? If ever a course will get you to watch them at - this is it ? I for one am looking forward to seeing them tackle that venue next year ;D

So long as those running the event doesn't go haywire with appearance fees - hopefully it can continue on the gradual postive steps it has made in the past few years.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
Andrew,

Was there ever a more radical revision of a course in order to fit with an Australian Open than The Australian?

There is some renovation work in Melbourne to be done to restore what was altered in vain attempts to get Opens that were never coming!!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

Was there ever a more radical revision of a course in order to fit with an Australian Open than The Australian?

Yes, but I'm talking work that made thing ...........BETTER! 8)

I'm sure you are happy about the tongue of rough in front of 18 at NSW going. I know you were a big fan, Not! What do you think of the new green & do you know when they are re-doing it to level it out?

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
Andrew,

That tounge of rough was awful because of all the shots it stopped you playing - aside from the fact it look so out of character.
I flew over the new green a few weeks ago and we got a good view of the hole but not the green. The old one was hopeless for tournaments and I assume they have fixed the problem.

As Ran notes in his review in the C by C section the 2nd green is the one that really needs alteration. The old one was very simple but perfect for a 200 yard par three second hole.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:47 PM »
The new green has been moved a little to the right of the where the old one was and there are bunkers left front & right front. Moving the green away from the hill that goes up to the clubhouse has left 3 small depressions between the fringe & the hill. This could be a bail out area for someone going for the green in two, but the chip back is not easy.

The back of the green has even more back to front slope on it than the old green & apparently they have to redo the green to fix the problem. I spent about 20 minutes (there was nobody behind us) trying little chips & putts down the slope. Even shots that almost stopped beside the cup, picked up speed & continued to role 20 or 30 feet away, with some rolling off the green. It was lots of fun, but I wouldn’t want to be tied for the lead on the 72nd hole of the Australian Open having to two putt for the win from the back left of the 18th green.

Aren’t you the consulting archie for the Aus Open?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »

As Ran notes in his review in the C by C section the 2nd green is the one that really needs alteration. The old one was very simple but perfect for a 200 yard par three second hole.

Yes, the 2nd green needs a bomb.

The old 2nd green would have been the Apperly modification of the original 1st green of the MacKenzie layout. Wasn't everything that Apperly did "simple, but perfect".

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »

Obscene, exactly why?

I am surmising that, unless Sydney is run by idiots, they are going to benefit handsomely from Woods being in the field.

As others have pointed out unless we start questioning Capitalism 101, the fee, in my opinion, is far from obscene.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
Andrew,

Yes -  Apperly and Alex Russell were pretty talented designers.
MacKenzie's hole played diagonally across from the 1st tee to the 2nd green didn't it?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »
Andrew,

Yes -  Apperly and Alex Russell were pretty talented designers.
MacKenzie's hole played diagonally across from the 1st tee to the 2nd green didn't it?
Yes. When you see old photos of the 1st it looked a tough opening hole. Especially when you consider the equipment they had in the late 20's. It would definitely inspire the members to warm up before the round.

JESII

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
Am I safe in assuming that the 2009 Open at NSW will be played in December of 2009?

In one visit, I sort of liked that little tongue of rough on #18.  This is one of those positions I am not fully prepared to defend, but it seemed to match with the sharp incline right there...am I mis-remembering a sharp little incline?

Pat Burke

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 01:08:52 AM »

Does it really matter where the players want to play?  Surely it only makes a difference if the venue affects whether they play or not! 

Would there be one extra player worth watching if the Masters moved from Huntingdale to Kingston Heath?  I can't imagine there are many players who would play a Kingston Heath tournament but not a Huntingdale one, solely on the merits of the golf course.

Perhaps if the Masters went to Victoria it might lock in Ogilvy until he retires!
[/quote]

At many different times, there were some overseas players who came to Australia BECAUSE of the courses that were played! ;)
Personally, Kingston Heath and Victoria always get my attention! :D

Chris Kane

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:34 AM »
At many different times, there were some overseas players who came to Australia BECAUSE of the courses that were played! ;)
Personally, Kingston Heath and Victoria always get my attention! :D

Pat, in the last fifteen years list the overseas players and the year they came because of the course.  I can't think of a single one who who would sell one ticket.

Americans here for appearance money don't count.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:09:49 AM by Chris Kane »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 04:05:54 AM »
Pat,

Could I assume you are the same Pat Burke who won the Victorian Open at Victoria in 1994?

The one thing the Australian Tour was known for was playing the best courses.
In 1989 we played at Royal Melbourne went to Keysborough for a week then had consecutive tournaments at Kingston Heath (Vic Open and Match Play) and then went to Huntingdale pre-renovation.

Now we don't play the best courses for the same reasons pro golf always goes to sub-standard venues.

Pat Burke

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
Hi Mike, yes same PB
Always said, When I was fortunate enough to play down there that the Aus Tour played much better courses (although fewer) than the US Tour as a whole.
Sad to here the struggles of the Tour and what sounds like a move away from the venues that made that Tour so special,  and helped the development of so many good young players possible.
Playing NSW, Victoria in back to back weeks was pretty special.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back