News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Forest Dunes GC by Weiskopf, PICS by me
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:59:48 AM »
I played Forest Dunes a few days ago. It kicked off a short 3 day golf trip where I played Forest Dunes, The Gailes (overrated IMO), Blackshire, Serradella and my personal favorite of the bunch, Red Hawk.

Forest Dunes was in absolutely perfect condition, almost over the top it was so manicured. I have a difficult time completely liking it, because I can't decide if the conditions overpower the layout. The course obviously is not overplayed and not open year round. The greens were some of the fastest, yet not firm either, that I have ever played!

Forest Dunes states that "the course appears  to have evolved out of the natural setting with no man's plan for its dunes, wild grasses, hillocks and knolls." I thought that Artur Hills' Red Hawk (which did not feel like a typical AH course) did a much better job of "blending itself in"....

The huge waste area immediately behind the stately clubhouse looked out of place and overkill to me IMO...they also did not have a "first cut" of rough here, fairway straight to the rough....

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:08:17 AM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Doug Ralston

Re: Forest Dunes GC by Weiskopf, PICS by me
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:41:53 AM »
Oooooo-oo-oo Rich!?

Liked Red Hawk and [even more evilly] was unimpressed with Gailes! You are doomed to incur the contempt of so many on this site. ROFL

Just never tell them you like Black Lake better than Black Forest [which practically every one online but not on GCA has said], or you may become totaly outcast here.

I have played Red Hawk, which I agree was an almost perfect forest course. But since it is Art Hills, it must have many fatal flaws I am too ignorant to see.

Whew!

Doug

PS: If you get a chance to play Eagle Eye, I would recommend it. It is a highly 'manufactured' course, but truly an awesome layout with great fun.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
I really liked the Gailes course, but it just felt kinda "fake", if that makes sense?

Black Lake, I played last summer and I thought it was nice, but NOT memorable. Red Hawk just seemed to flow nicely from #1 all the way to #18. AND, it wasn't 7300 from the tips...

I'll play Black Forest next summer...
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
I enjoyed the way you went into and out of the forest and the dunes environments.  I really liked the several holes on the back nine that felt sort of heathery, not as hemmed in by the forest as some of the front nine holes. 

We skipped a couple of holes on the back due to flight time, so I'm a bit vague about some hole numbers. 

You may have had some rain, or maybe some overwatering.  I didn't find the greens to be overly soft but yes, they were quick.

I was there just about a year ago in July 2007.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »
Very, very sandy, natural soil at Forest Dunes.  I have never heard of one person who did not come away from their first visit to Forest Dunes saying that they were among the finest putting surfaces that they have seen in Michigan.  (The next question, "Where have you seen better?" is usually a stumper...)
I wondered if someone knew whether Forest Dunes' greens had been seeded differently, in any kind of experiment with seed or technique.  Because whatever they did, if it was new- or old-style trufgrass managment, it was a huge success!
The only reason that Forest Dunes hasn't gotten the buzz that it deserves is I think becuase of the on-again off-again plans to go private eventually.  It is a wonderfully fun golf course to play.  (In the middle of Bumfuk Roscommon County, which is somewhere in between Mullen, Nebraska and Bumfuk Egypt.)

A word of defense for The Gailes.  My only complaint with The Gailes isn't the course's fault; it is the scenery that surrounds the course; sort of like the "early brake-shop period of Tillinghast" or the "later boat-storage period of Donald Ross."  They should take all of the trees removed from Oakmont, Oakland Hills and Oak Hill and plant them around The Gailes' perimeter.  I think it is a very interesting, very gamy, very thoughtfully laid-out golf course.  Turf conditions are nowhere near as good as Forest Dunes.  But the price is right.  And I'd rather play The Gailes than any of the Treetops courses, by way of comparison.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »
Oh, and thanks for sharing the great pictures!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »
Very, very sandy, natural soil at Forest Dunes.  I have never heard of one person who did not come away from their first visit to Forest Dunes saying that they were among the finest putting surfaces that they have seen in Michigan.  (The next question, "Where have you seen better?" is usually a stumper...)
I wondered if someone knew whether Forest Dunes' greens had been seeded differently, in any kind of experiment with seed or technique.  Because whatever they did, if it was new- or old-style trufgrass managment, it was a huge success!
The only reason that Forest Dunes hasn't gotten the buzz that it deserves is I think becuase of the on-again off-again plans to go private eventually.  It is a wonderfully fun golf course to play.  (In the middle of Bumfuk Roscommon County, which is somewhere in between Mullen, Nebraska and Bumfuk Egypt.)

A word of defense for The Gailes.  My only complaint with The Gailes isn't the course's fault; it is the scenery that surrounds the course; sort of like the "early brake-shop period of Tillinghast" or the "later boat-storage period of Donald Ross."  They should take all of the trees removed from Oakmont, Oakland Hills and Oak Hill and plant them around The Gailes' perimeter.  I think it is a very interesting, very gamy, very thoughtfully laid-out golf course.  Turf conditions are nowhere near as good as Forest Dunes.  But the price is right.  And I'd rather play The Gailes than any of the Treetops courses, by way of comparison.

I think the only greens that were AS GOOD, MAYBE better were the greens at Camargo Club. Those greens are awesome.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »
Looks like you had a spectacular day -- where were the other golfers?  The course looks absolutely empty.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »
We played it on a Wednesday afternoon at 2pm. Almost completely EMPTY!

Jed Peters

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
Michigan golf continues to impress.

While these course photos don't really fit my eye, the course itself does look over the top lush!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
Jed,
  Just because it appears lush, doesnt mean that it's not playing firm. A lot of high end courses appear this way, yet play "right." Jim Bluck does a great job there!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »
Tony,

GREAT is an understatement!

Chuck Brown

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 05:17:54 PM »
Tony, do you have any info on how they seeded the greens at Forest Dunes?   Because they became, almost overnight, as new construction, some of the best greens in the state.  And Roscommon is far enough north that it gets some very serious winters, so it couldn't have been easy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back