News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Why is Tom MacWood "Running the Gauntlet"
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:23:28 AM »
Tom

I presume Wayne is just stating his views and updating those who are interested. Some frustration may well have been thrown in for old time sake.

I can understand the sentiment in his comment, however I know very little
about Merion except for that which has been posted. I therefore do not
wish to comment on Merion or its long drawn out debate.

I will say that some researchers are prone to promote their own views and theories and for some reason decide not to mention other contemporaneous reports which I suppose may compromise their views or conclusions they want others to believe.

Some months ago I read your essay “The Early Golf Architects: Beyond Old Tom” and picked up on quite a few points, but believed it prudent at the time not to question all my concerns. I will again show some restraint, but I will just mention Cruden Bay.  Your essay reads as follows: -

Regarding Simpson’s design career as mentioned his first project
was Balgownie in ’88. In 1896 Simpson laid out Stonehaven and
Dufftown. Then came Cruden Bay in 1899, arguably his greatest
architectural achievement, although you wouldn’t know it today
since the club recognizes Tom Morris and not Simpson as its
original designer. Multiple contemporaneous reports gave credit
to Simpson although in March of 1899 The Times, when announcing
the course’s opening, wrote that it had been laid out under the advice
of Old Tom. The Great North of Scotland Railway Company developed Cruden Bay as a major golfing destination, spending £50,000 on the
links, a hotel, and an electric tramway connecting the hotel and station.
With that kind of an investment having a big name attached to the
project would be well advised, and certainly Old Tom’s name brought
 a cache Simpson’s could not. It is also entirely possible Morris did give
some limited advise at some point, nonetheless it seems clear based
on the preponderance of reports the original design was Simpson’s.
In 1902 Golf Illustrated wrote, “Since its inception three years ago,
Cruden Bay has rapidly asserted itself as one of the finest greens in
the kingdom. On the occasion of the inaugural tournament, the
professional competitors were loud in its praises, and Archie Simpson,
of Aberdeen, was congratulated on what is undoubtedly his masterpiece.”

To your credit you mentioned The Times article of March 30th 1899, however you have totally failed to tell the full story.

However no mention of W W Tulloch’s book “The Life of Tom Morris” published in 1907 which on page No.262  mentions Old Tom trip to Port Erroll on the 21st of September 1894 to meet the Earl of Erroll, Mr Ferguson Chairman of the Great North of Scotland Railway, Mr C E Stephens and a number of the interested parties.

This can be confirmed by the news paper article by the The Buchan Observer of 25th Sept 1984 which reads as follows: -

Port Erroll – G.N.S.R. Company’s New Golf Course - Mr T. Morris, professional golf player of St  Andrews, visited Port Erroll on Friday for the purpose of laying out the proposed new course The turf is found to be most suitable, and the Links every way adapted to the formation of a first class course  The work is to be commenced soon and will be carried out at a very considerable cost. Mr Morris was met on the ground on Saturday 21st of September by the Earl of Erroll, Mr Ferguson, chairman of the Directors,  Mr Thomas  Adam, director; Mr Moffat and Mr Woodman Smith, Lord Errol’s Commissioner. Mr Morris played a round on the present nine hole course with Mr C. E. Stephens of Uxbridge.

Again no mention of the book by James Dalgarno “The Brig O’ Balgownie to The Bullers O’ Bunchan” published in 1897. This booklet mentions the G.N.S.Railways new hotel at Port Errol called prior to 1897 The Errol Hotel (under Advertisements).
Also mentioned in this book on page 56 is the new Port Errol Golf Course laid out by Messrs Tom Morris & Archie Simpson at the request of the Great North Scotland Railway. There is also a map of the original course published in this book at least two years before the official opening and before it was decided to include the St Olaf course in the centre in 1898. The book also shows a sketch plan for Port Errol development.

All this information easily available but you decide not to mention it, perhaps this is the reason Cruden Bay Golf Club credits Old Tom.
Throughout you have not mentioned Old Tom’s involvement since 1894 which gives no mention of Simpson. Again the book published in 1897 mentions Old Tom still involvement three years after his first meeting, yet you dismiss his involvement to just using his name. That is your Opinion, your theory, who knows you may be right and many others wrong, but I still don’t understand why you never mentioned Old Tom’s 1894 commission to design the new course at the new Port Erroll Hotel from The Great North of Scotland Railway. Also the picture you used of Archie Simpson in your essay was printed in this booklet. It would appear that yet again with the use of selective material you wish to diminish Old Tom’s reputation. Not forgetting Lahinch which you mentioned on more that one occasion that Old Tom was not involved, yet clearly records exist of his input, even if you dispute the extent of his work.

I can see why Wayne maybe concerned. As for my part, I have been able to spend more time in my search for Old Tom and his involvement in many courses still in play today plus many courses lost and closed over the years. However, as I have said on many occasions in the past, I just seek the truth, getting certain things wrong is not a problem in my eyes as long as I am man enough to admit it and move on. I have no theories, no need to hide this or that fact to suite my purpose, the truth is all I want.

So I will not be submitting my revised list or Old Tom’s involvement with UK courses to this site. They will be sent to the club concerned to do what they wish with the information.

Perhaps others will now understand why I don’t wish to debate with Tom.
That’s not to say that I believe his research is questionable, because I must give him credit for some really excellent work and sincerely believe that he can be an asset, once he just present All his findings and let others make their own judgement of the facts presented and not be blinded by this or that theory.

I trust that this post is not regarded as aggressive but for what it actually is which is a search for the truth.

Thomas MacWood

Re: Why is Tom MacWood "Running the Gauntlet"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
Melvyn
I give you credit. At least you had the courage to post your essay on GCA for everyone to read and comment upon.

From what I understand Port Errol was an older golf course that existed near the site of Cruden Bay GC. Are you claiming they were the same golf course?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:45:44 AM »
Tom

You know I am not.

The early Port Erroll course by the Earls brother-in-law was a basic 9 holes.
It would appear that Old Tom when playing a round with Mr Stephens (after the meeting with THe Earl & Railways) made some suggestions as how the course could be improved. I have no infor as to what may have been done as this course had less than 18 months to run before being closed. It is I am advised and believe partly under the site of the old railway station and as mentioned closed around 1895 to make way for building of the new hotel/railway development.

Old Tom commission was for what became Cruden Bay but was known as Port Errol Hotel & Golf Course until 1898/9.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »
I find the recent trend here to "demand historical accuracy" interesting.

A few years ago on this site, if a Tom MacWood or Tommy N found some documents they posted it and discussed it.  Now, thanks to the Merion threads, there are continuous accusations about the quality of research, analysis, and whatever.  It seems we used to bring forward whatever we had and it was considered part of ongoing knowledge acquistion. Now, it seems as if someone will demand a finished historical analysis, vetted to university standards.

Are higher standards really applicable to a discussion group?  As far as I know, Tom Mac still would be considered an amateur historian, and a good one at that.  He has fun looking at the history of gca like some would have looking at their own family tree.

My first inclination is to think that as long as this is a discussion group, no one should be faulted for not knowing every single document out there.  If Ran started a "Golf History" board, perhaps different levels of vetting would be required.

Perhaps its a natural evolution of the site.  For sure, no one should accept something intentionally put out here that is wrong.  It is a public forum, so we should all recognize the potential for something to be found by someone in the future on Google and possibly considering it truth or gospel.  But I think we will just have to trust that the next generation who is interested in history will have the same curiosity - and the same ability to ferret out what is truth, what is not known, etc.

Of course, someday, someone will probably do a history of golfclubatlas.com!  I am sure a chapter entitled "train wrecks" will be included, and will feature a top 10 list, starting with Merion threads which will occupy perhaps 7 of those spots.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »
Tom

You know I am not.

The early Port Erroll course by the Earls brother-in-law was a basic 9 holes.
It would appear that Old Tom when playing a round with Mr Stephens (after the meeting with THe Earl & Railways) made some suggestions as how the course could be improved. I have no infor as to what may have been done as this course had less than 18 months to run before being closed. It is I am advised and believe partly under the site of the old railway station and as mentioned closed around 1895 to make way for building of the new hotel/railway development.

Old Tom commission was for what became Cruden Bay but was known as Port Errol Hotel & Golf Course until 1898/9.

Melvyn
In September of 1897 the Great North of Scotland Railway Co announced they were building a new hotel and 18 golf course at Cruden Bay. According the announcement the hotel was progressing nicely and should be ready by the following summer. No mention of when the golf course would be ready. In 1899 when the golf course was officially opened and it was referred to as Cruden Bay. I'm having dificulty understanding your point. Are you saying the old nine was incorporated into the new 18?

When you posted your essay you included a list of OTM's courses. There was an entry for Port Errol, you listed the date as 1894 and listed as closed. You also listed Cruden Bay golf course, dated 1899 and still in play. No mention of Archie Simpson.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:18:49 AM by Tom MacWood »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
Tom

The first 9 hole course by the Earl’s brother-in-law was closed in 1895 when the new GNS Railways constructed their new tracks and station in that year. This course was cut in nearly half by the new line between Port Errol (later known as Cruden Bay) & Boddam near Nethermill. This course was not built on the links but North of the site for the new proposed hotel (approx ¾ - 1 mile). 

The article from The Buchan Observer of 25th Sept 1984 relates to the new course known again as Port Earl (before it was changed to Cruden Bay) and was built on the links land just South & South East of the new proposed Hotel.

The Links course was to be an 18 hole and this was the one referred to W W Tullochs book of 1907, in The Buchan Observer in 1894, the maps & articles in the book The Brig O’ Balgownie to The Bullers O’ Buchan in 1897 and The Times of 1899.

Hence my comment that Old Tom was involved in what became Cruden Bay Golf Course since 1894 via the Great North of Scotland Railway company. Interesting point that the book The Brig O’ Balgownie to The Bullers O’ Buchan published 1897 talks about the erection of the the new Hotel and that contracts had already been entered into by 1897 for the construction of the hotel which was then due to open by May 1898 The hotel was to be  adjacent the new golf course by Tom Morris & Archie Simpson. Orders placed to start the erection would confirm how advanced their design work was and in those days with no Computers or CAD must have taken some time to get to that stage.

I never mentioned Simpson (I saw no need) as my interest was only with Old Tom.

Jeff

Do you know your family history? Does it matter to you? Do you want to know the truth?

Would you remain silent if statements made on a discussion group appeared incorrect or perhaps verging on the unacceptable when referring to a past member of your family?

I was hoping to learn, to improve my knowledge and understand of all matters and aspects relating to golf, but what good would it all be if the information was not seen to be accurate.

You may want to go off “half cocked” but not me. But then perhaps that’s the difference and magic of a discussion site like GCA.com. Whatever is said, credit should be given for the accuracy as well as the hard work involved even if you do not believe in the final conclusion.

I still believe we should all strive for the truth and I thank all those for their hard endeavours in trying to achieve that goal.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »

A few years ago on this site, if a Tom MacWood or Tommy N found some documents they posted it and discussed it.  Now, thanks to the Merion threads, there are continuous accusations about the quality of research, analysis, and whatever.  It seems we used to bring forward whatever we had and it was considered part of ongoing knowledge acquistion. Now, it seems as if someone will demand a finished historical analysis, vetted to university standards.

Are higher standards really applicable to a discussion group?  As far as I know, Tom Mac still would be considered an amateur historian, and a good one at that.  He has fun looking at the history of gca like some would have looking at their own family tree.

My first inclination is to think that as long as this is a discussion group, no one should be faulted for not knowing every single document out there.  If Ran started a "Golf History" board, perhaps different levels of vetting would be required.

Perhaps its a natural evolution of the site.  For sure, no one should accept something intentionally put out here that is wrong.  It is a public forum, so we should all recognize the potential for something to be found by someone in the future on Google and possibly considering it truth or gospel.  But I think we will just have to trust that the next generation who is interested in history will have the same curiosity - and the same ability to ferret out what is truth, what is not known, etc.

Of course, someday, someone will probably do a history of golfclubatlas.com!  I am sure a chapter entitled "train wrecks" will be included, and will feature a top 10 list, starting with Merion threads which will occupy perhaps 7 of those spots.......
Very well stated. 

I'm not familiar with how research debates play out in academia, but I would be willing to wager it's not that different from some of what we see here.  Those that feel passionately about a topic have to realize that selective interpretation of facts is not exclusively the shortcoming of those they disagree with. 

One thing is for sure - just because someone doesn't know every single detail that another person does, their opinion shouldn't automatically be discounted.  This arguing back and forth about how someone's research is useless because they haven't consulted a particular source is nonsense.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »

I never mentioned Simpson (I saw no need) as my interest was only with Old Tom.

Melvyn
The reason I wrote my essay was because I felt there were a number of important designers who had not been given their due. Your essay was entitled 'The Early Golf Designers: The Real Golden Age', which was a little misleading because you ignored most the early golf designers with the exception of OTM. In your essay you completely ignored Simpson's contribution at Cruden Bay; I mentioned OTM at Cruden Bay and acknowledged it was entirely possible he did advise.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
Tom

You may be right, I was using Old Tom as my example but I did say in my essay and I quote "I am of course totally biased"

As for Cruden Bay, I think Old Tom did more than just advise based upon these reports. Noting that Simpsons name was not mentioned when Old Tom was commissioned in 1894 by the G.N.S Railway Board.

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »

I don't.

I'm surprised people care this much about minor details from before they were born.

To each their own.  I'll continue to use this site for other things, which is mainly to keep current on what courses are noteworthy in different parts of the world.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
J M

Thanks John for your enlighten opinion.  It would appear that perhaps the truth may have no real value or meaning, although if you forgive me I will continue my search.

I thought we had learnt a valuable lesson when our Politicians could not find any Weapons of Mass Destruction which was the excuse they used to take us to war. The wrong facts have resulted in the deaths of thousands. But we each have the right to our opinion.

J C

Some like history, some don't. Some care about how things developed some don't. Some like golf but the majority of the world does not - so what! If it is of no interest to you - that your business - but then we all have the right to our freedom of speech and at the moment can still voice it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »
J M

Thanks John for your enlighten opinion.  It would appear that perhaps the truth may have no real value or meaning, although if you forgive me I will continue my search.

I thought we had learnt a valuable lesson when our Politicians could not find any Weapons of Mass Destruction which was the excuse they used to take us to war. The wrong facts have resulted in the deaths of thousands. But we each have the right to our opinion.
Truth has value or meaning, but when it comes to history that wasn't perfectly documented, there are always going to be opportunities for different interpretations.  There can often be facts that seemingly contradict each other.  That's why it makes sense to keep discussion civil & in a reasonable perspective.

I cannot decide if your reference to weapons of mass destruction in this context is offensive, outrageous, ridiculous, or pitiable. Maybe some combination of all of them.  What does that possibly have to do with discussion of what your ancestor did at Cruden Bay?

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
J C

Some like history, some don't. Some care about how things developed some don't. Some like golf but the majority of the world does not - so what! If it is of no interest to you - that your business - but then we all have the right to our freedom of speech and at the moment can still voice it.

Exactly.  Which is why you see me staying away from threads involving history.  I only clicked on this because the thread title isn't very descriptive.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
JM

I have been open and frank, I have raised questions and answered some, and I have not reduced my comments to insults.

The comment re Weapons of Mass Destruction, I though implied that we all need to seek the truth, examine the all sources before committing ourselves. It was an example of failure to understand and seek out the relevant information resulting in many, many deaths. How anyone could possible regard it an insult is beyond me.

It amounts to seeking the truth and let’s not forget that, yes it is a family member as well.  Having said that, whatever I say will always be wrong in your eyes.  I sometimes wonder why I bother as clearly most of you are just not interested.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
It was an example of failure to understand and seek out the relevant information resulting in many, many deaths. How anyone could possible regard it an insult is beyond me.

It amounts to seeking the truth and let’s not forget that, yes it is a family member as well.  Having said that, whatever I say will always be wrong in your eyes.  I sometimes wonder why I bother as clearly most of you are just not interested.
I don't think any GCA discussion will result in many (or any) deaths unless the Merion discussion deteriorates into a duel at some point.  That's why I found your WMD reference so bizarre.

You're certainly not "always wrong" in my eyes. I really enjoy much of your participation.  Sometimes, and this is one of those times, you tend to lose perspective.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
Are we STILL getting our "Simpson's" mixed up ?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

Jeff

Do you know your family history? Does it matter to you? Do you want to know the truth?

Would you remain silent if statements made on a discussion group appeared incorrect or perhaps verging on the unacceptable when referring to a past member of your family?

I was hoping to learn, to improve my knowledge and understand of all matters and aspects relating to golf, but what good would it all be if the information was not seen to be accurate.

You may want to go off “half cocked” but not me. But then perhaps that’s the difference and magic of a discussion site like GCA.com. Whatever is said, credit should be given for the accuracy as well as the hard work involved even if you do not believe in the final conclusion.

I still believe we should all strive for the truth and I thank all those for their hard endeavours in trying to achieve that goal.

Melvyn,

I know some of my family history and have actually researched some areas of interest to me.  I have an uncle who did the whole family tree thing.  As with these old golf courses, sometimes the research raises as many questions as it answers.  I like to wonder about what it must have been like in the old days, and I think others do, too.

I certainly strive for truth in all endeavors including posting here.  But in a discussion group, I gather that far more posted here is opinion rather than fact that cannot be disputed.  Part of TePaul's objection to DM's Merion piece was that he felt like it was presented as final (DM said it was not) and with the endorsement of Ran, which legitmizes it, in his opinion.  Was it any more or less researched than the other dozens of IMO pieces out there?  Being in the IMO section, isn't it a defacto "opinion?"

I guess the bigger picture issue for me is whether internet discussion boards, long held to be the realm of the fanatics, zealots and the like, are now, or will ever be a main stream source of information that requires some kind of regulation over what has been typical?  Right now, I say no, but that could change.  And it will be because of things like the Merion threads that it will.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
It was an example of failure to understand and seek out the relevant information resulting in many, many deaths. How anyone could possible regard it an insult is beyond me.

I don't think any GCA discussion will result in many (or any) deaths unless the Merion discussion deteriorates into a duel at some point.  That's why I found your WMD reference so bizarre.

You're certainly not "always wrong" in my eyes. I really enjoy much of your participation.  Sometimes, and this is one of those times, you tend to lose perspective.

Hyperbole is a marvelous tool when correctly applied.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »
Melvyn
I recently found this report in the Scotsman on a tournament at Cruden Bay, from April 15, 1899. I'm not sure if helps clarify things or adds to the confusion.

"As already mentioned, the tournament was promoted by the Great North of Scotland Railway Company, who have expended about £80,000 in the erection of the hotel, the electric railway from the station to the hotel, and offices in addition to the sum spent on the improving the course and extending it from nine to eighteen holes. The advice of the veteran golfer Tom Morris of St.Andrews was taken, and following upon the lines laid down by him. Archie Simpson, of Aberdeen, has succeeded in laying out a course which for variety would be difficult to surpass."

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
Tom

I have seen reports that the course actually open in 1897 not 1899 and it stated that it opened two years before the hotel. This maybe the course pre St Olaf 9 holes course being added which I understand was in 1899. The addition of the 9 hole did change the layout of the 1897 course as the St Olaf is located in the centre of the 18 hole. Simpson could well have taken the lead in the final development and installation of the St Olaf course, but having said that Old Tom was clearly commissioned by the GNSR in 1894 to build the new course which does appear to have been opened before the hotel. I believe that makes his involvement more than just advisory, would you not agree? Expect we will get to the bottom of it one day but I do wish you would not use words like ‘Not Involved’ when clearly that has not been proven

Thanks for the additional information

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »
Melvyn
The same report began:

"The golf course at Cruden Bay laid out by the Great North of Scotland Railway Company was inaugurated yesterday by an interesting golf tournament, in which many of the professional players in the country took part."

Every report I have read - The Scotsman, The Times and Golf Illustrated - are consistant that the 18-hole course opened in 1899. There are two reports in The Times from 1897 which announce the project, which included a new hotel and new golf course. Apparently it was done in two stages, the hotel came first, completed in 1898, then the golf course, completed in 1899.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:15:43 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 07:19:15 AM »

The comment re Weapons of Mass Destruction, I though implied that we all need to seek the truth, examine the all sources before committing ourselves. It was an example of failure to understand and seek out the relevant information resulting in many, many deaths. How anyone could possible regard it an insult is beyond me.

Melvyn,

The WMD research was conducted by government research (spy) agencies from a number of countries with budgets in the hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars.

This research was then passed to world elected leaders who are voted into office by hundreds of millions of voters.

I am guessing that you don't really expect Tom MacWood, "a guy with a computer", to be held to the same standards?

Tom seems to driven by an intellectual curiosity to challenge and pick at historical questions. He seems to get a number of people here thinking and that is a good thing.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Mike

Thinking is good, if you are given or have access to all the facts.

I don’t understand what the attitudes are like in your area of the world but the opinion of those about me is that a war was promoted because of WMD, which has since proven to be a total fabrication. That miss information on that occasion had dire consequences for the whole world. For my part I was pro removing the Dictator (which should have happen at the end of the first Gulf War), I was hoping that WMD would be found to strengthen our cause but in the end it led to us just winning some battles and losing the real war.

My point is that we need to be accurate, or at least try to be. If errors are made then they will be seen as honest and open. Like the comments or expressions that the majority of members on this site tend to use to qualify their own statements by adding those honest and gutsy little words In My Humble Opinion.

I would also like to point out that IMHO for a discussion to take place questions need to be answered. If that does not materialise then I see no point in have a debate, it becomes one sided and never actually moves forward.

As for Cruden Bay Golf Course, my opinion is still that Old Tom was involved, that he was commissioned in 1894 and continued through to the end. Perhaps, just perhaps he started to take a back seat in the latter years of the 19th Century, but there is no proof of that.

As for Tom’s comments (as he has never qualified them as opinions even though they maybe on this discussion board), he has maintained until just recently that Old Tom Morris did not design Cruden Bay – in one reference Ian Andrews posting for Tom MacWood, reply 29 Topic “Same property, multiple architects, how much would the routings differ” dated Feb 20th 08. No ‘In My Opinion’ but a statement of fact which read as follows  D) OTM did not design Cruden Bay; CB was originally designed by Archie Simpson.

Interesting, no one said a word against that statement, yet there is information from Tulloch’s book, the Buchan Observer, The Brig O’ Balgownie book and The Times confirmed his involvement.  I now see that Tom is saying that perhaps Old Tom was after all involved on an advisory capacity – I don’t remember the words in my opinion, but again it comes across to me as a statement of fact.

We need to look at all the information, not just ignore the earlier points because it does not seem to fit ones theories. If in the end I find out that Old Tom was not responsible for any courses, it will not upset me, if it proves to be the truth. I just want to know his involvement. For some reason Tom appears determined to minimise all Old Tom's design involvement.

To prove my point again the article Tom asked Ian to post stated (with no IMHO) the following  A) Old Tom did not design the Old Course. Of course he did not design the original course but again no explanation that for nearly 40 years he developed and modified the Old Course to more or less it current layout. His changes on many, many occasions were tantamount to major modifications, but he just can’t bring himself to say it.

Perhaps others are right and there maybe a hidden agenda.

I have been e-mailed some information which originated from Wikipedia and maybe is the base or used information for report on articles I have read. The web site is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruden_Bay

The part of sent reads as follows: -
The railway brought grandeur but not lasting prosperity to Cruden Bay. The branch line from Ellon to Boddam near Peterhead was opened in 1897, along with the golf course[ and the 55-bedroom Cruden Bay Hotel two years later. A tramway was added linking the station and hotel.

Suppose the answer could be down to the way you read sentence.

Tom I don’t think I have anymore to say to you on the subject of Old Tom.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
Melvyn I do think you should drop the WMD analogy.  If ever there was an agenda driven search that was it.  It was not a search for "the truth"and to compare the consequences of one agianst the other is not helpful. IMO of course.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:13:43 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »
Tony

Even when I reply to another Member I seem to be in the wrong.

As for my opinion, it’s only my opinion – but it is interesting that from firm statements that Old Tom had no involvement at Lahinch and Cruden Bay,
we have now seen on paper, statements of Old Tom’s involvement, albeit grudgingly, and currently only accepted on an advisory basis. Yet just a few months ago statements like OTM did not design Cruden Bay; CB was originally designed by Archie Simpson - was accepted by most without question.

I have not resorted to name calling, swearing; perhaps that’s the problem,
but it’s not my way. Like John Cleese, and his sit com Fawlty Towers I will
not mention The War or any analogy regards that classic of all lies WMD.

Tony, as I said I don’t think I have anymore to say on the subject of
Old Tom.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back